Home Match Day Thread Charlton at home kick off time

As I said earlier in this thread, what would you little darlings do if we ever got promoted when games are moved all over the place. You want to get a grip, I am coming from London and I just see the early kick as my opportunity to get back to Putney and have some naughtyness with a certain local barmaid so every cloud and all that..
the main difference is that games in the championship are moved around for obvious reasons. Also id say they arent moved that frequently, they are scheduled at the start of the season when the fixture lists are released at different times to Saturday at 3pm, meaning people like me would be able to plan their days a decent amount in advance. If we were in the prem (dreamy I know), then our games would maybe be moved frequently, so it wouldn't be as bad as people would adjust or get used to missing rearranged games, if one game randomly gets moved for no real reason then some people are stuffed and can go, or others like me have to rearrange their day. However Id still say the frequent moving of fixtures in the prem is something that is bad for fans and should be minimised as much as possible, but some times unforeseen things occur

Also I think you've missed my point, I'm saying that some people aren't as fortunate as you are, and find it very difficult or impossible to rearrange their days, if only it was just a case of 'getting a grip'. I'd think of yourself as lucky that you can rearrange your day so easily and consider some people are less fortunate than, and cant rearrange their days for varying reasons

It’s a shame the Shrewsbury kick-off time wasn’t at 1pm, especially as it’s work next day and Easter traffic etc.

I've been to Charlton many times, and never seen a hint of trouble between the supporters - despite the fact that they make no attempt to segregate and keep the fans from mingling on their way back to the station (or on the platform) after the game.

I'd have thought it's way lower risk that Portsmouth or Luton or Bristol Rovers. But I don't remember any games against those lot being moved, other than for TV.

Are people supposed to just get extra-aggressive over Easter or something?

or maybe eggstra aggressive

the main difference is that games in the championship are moved around for obvious reasons. Also id say they arent moved that frequently, they are scheduled at the start of the season when the fixture lists are released at different times to Saturday at 3pm, meaning people like me would be able to plan their days a decent amount in advance. If we were in the prem (dreamy I know), then our games would maybe be moved frequently, so it wouldn't be as bad as people would adjust or get used to missing rearranged games, if one game randomly gets moved for no real reason then some people are stuffed and can go, or others like me have to rearrange their day. However Id still say the frequent moving of fixtures in the prem is something that is bad for fans and should be minimised as much as possible, but some times unforeseen things occur

Also I think you've missed my point, I'm saying that some people aren't as fortunate as you are, and find it very difficult or impossible to rearrange their days, if only it was just a case of 'getting a grip'. I'd think of yourself as lucky that you can rearrange your day so easily and consider some people are less fortunate than, and cant rearrange their days for varying reasons

The point you make about the inconvenience is countered by @Ox4Eva hoping to get lucky with a Putney barmaid. Changes will suit some and not others, but generally there is rarely any major difference in total attendance as they tend to balance each other out. We've had weeks of notice and as annoying as I'm sure it is, we all have choices to make about attending games or not. Sometimes life gets in the way and that is perfectly understandable.

On a personal level, I like early kickoffs, I like late kickoffs, I like 3pm! Sometimes I drink before, sometimes after, occasionally not at all! I just adjust everything to work around the game and generally find that it's really not too difficult.

What gets on my tits is that it's a Sunday service on the buses as well (I assume). Makes it bloody awkward for me. Still, nil desperandum. Hopefully the boys will make it a very good Friday and we can all look forward to Monday. COYY

What gets on my tits is that it's a Sunday service on the buses as well (I assume). Makes it bloody awkward for me. Still, nil desperandum. Hopefully the boys will make it a very good Friday and we can all look forward to Monday. COYY

It’s a Saturday service on the buses on Good Friday ?

Bloody hell, moan moan moan

It is what it is folks, let's get along and support the U's then get off and have a few beers and enjoy ourselves!

The point you make about the inconvenience is countered by @Ox4Eva hoping to get lucky with a Putney barmaid. Changes will suit some and not others, but generally there is rarely any major difference in total attendance as they tend to balance each other out. We've had weeks of notice and as annoying as I'm sure it is, we all have choices to make about attending games or not. Sometimes life gets in the way and that is perfectly understandable.

On a personal level, I like early kickoffs, I like late kickoffs, I like 3pm! Sometimes I drink before, sometimes after, occasionally not at all! I just adjust everything to work around the game and generally find that it's really not too difficult.
I cant see how his point counters mine, I'm saying that although he can change what he does, others aren't as lucky, by saying about the barmaid he is only proving what I said about he being able to change his day

I know that we have been given a warning in advance, but this doesn't necesarily make some peoples lives any easier, they still have to make the call as to if they can go. My point wasn't that we weren't given enough time in advance though (apologies if I wasn't clear), my point was that to say 'oh just get on with it' is a little naive as people should rightly ask questions as why the kickoff was moved and ask for the reasons as to why they have to reconsider going to the game, saying to get on with it just because it doesn't really affect you is a little selfish.

Also I disagree with the timings, I prefer Saturdays at 3pm, and Tuesday night games at 7.45pm, but I guess it all comes down to personal tastes and how personal timings work out

Bloody hell, moan moan moan

It is what it is folks, let's get along and support the U's then get off and have a few beers and enjoy ourselves!
Wouldn't say its moaning to critique what people post, but oh well. Also I know there is little that can be done about the time change, but cant questions be asked about it? Agree with you on getting along and supporting the U's though, think the next few games could be very tasty

I can concur with Didcot Ox. It is difficult for us to get to the game time wise on Friday, as the kick off time is two hours early, for various reasons. What SOME people forget is that for many exiles a home game is further than many away games. We don’t all live in Thame, Didcot, Chinnor or Kidlington, as maybe we once did.

I can concur with Didcot Ox. It is difficult for us to get to the game time wise on Friday, as the kick off time is two hours early, for various reasons. What SOME people forget is that for many exiles a home game is further than many away games. We don’t all live in Thame, Didcot, Chinnor or Kidlington, as maybe we once did.

Exactly this. And, amazingly, "we" sometimes like to fit in other things as well as the football that aren`t viable post match if the kick off gets shifted for no apparent reason other than a "secret".
Now what is so "secret" that @PC956S can`t tell us?
Lets consider some ideas.
1. Charlton supporters trying to get home tickets. Easy fix, none for sale if you aren`t on the database.
2. Lots of Charlton supporters turning up without tickets and being left to waddle around outside. They can still turn up for 1pm rather than 3pm.

Other than TVP saving on the wage bill or some other political reason I can`t think of anything else...............

Exactly this. And, amazingly, "we" sometimes like to fit in other things as well as the football that aren`t viable post match if the kick off gets shifted for no apparent reason other than a "secret".
Now what is so "secret" that @PC956S can`t tell us?
Lets consider some ideas.
1. Charlton supporters trying to get home tickets. Easy fix, none for sale if you aren`t on the database.
2. Lots of Charlton supporters turning up without tickets and being left to waddle around outside. They can still turn up for 1pm rather than 3pm.

Other than TVP saving on the wage bill or some other political reason I can`t think of anything else...............

3. Or there is something going on away from the football later that would have clashed and the Police haven't the resources to police both at the same time.

3. Or there is something going on away from the football later that would have clashed and the Police haven't the resources to police both at the same time.
3 would seem to be a good shout, especially with all the protests etc at the moment.

3 would seem to be a good shout, especially with all the protests etc at the moment.

Just done some digging and found this article: http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/Cost-of-policing-is-making-clubs-pay-more-the-answer

The DCC of South Yorkshire said:
"If we can't find a better way of funding policing, clubs are going to have to do more to reduce the risk. This could be significantly more stewards, early morning games, no alcohol and no away supporters.

“We can't afford to be using more and more police officers.

"We can't afford to subsidise clubs to the detriment of our local communities and that is what is happening."

Now............. if a DCC can be "open & frank" about this then what is @PC956S or TVP hiding as a "secret" ?

Perhaps it is simply cheaper for the club? Less chance to booze = less police manpower deemed to be required = cheaper?

Perhaps it is simply cheaper for the club? Less chance to booze = less police manpower deemed to be required = cheaper?
TVP: Right, Good Friday, double time for our chaps, will cost more.
OUFC: What??? We can't afford that, can you just send less manpower?
TVP: Nope, sorry, public order and all that. Tell you what, bring the kick off forward, we may be able to do a deal
OUFC: It'll annoy our fans though... But will save a few quid. OK, what time do you want? 9AM?
TVP: What, and get up at 5am? Not a chance. How about 1pm, so we can all have a fry up first?
OUFC: That's great, thanks, we'll bring the HP.

Thanks Essexyellows. I was just trying to think of a reason (given the lack of any trouble between the two sets of supporters previously). Maybe it's because they think we are going to have fisticuffs about the merits of the manager...

Back
Top Bottom