National News Cost of Living Crisis

Wait until football clubs have to start turning the floodlights on after the next price rise on October 1. It’s going to cost a huge amount of money to stage games this winter. The EFL has already been advised to consider moving all Saturday 3pm kickoffs forward to 12:30 or 1 so as to eliminate the need to use them outside of evening fixtures, but as per they aren’t interested.

Bloke on the radio today said he’s been told his chip shop running costs are about to go up fifteen fold in terms of gas and electric. He pointed out that to put such a rise in perspective, that’s like someone paying £1.80 for petrol today being told they need to pay £27 per litre at the end of next month.
The reason his increase is so dramatic is that his current supplier won't give him a new contract so he will be placed on default rates. A lot of commercial suppliers do not want to tender for business which they think will go bust, otherwise they will be left with a lot of pre-bought energy and nobody to use it!

In a previous role, I declined many football clubs on the basis of their credit being poor. Many are owned by offshore companies so there is no way of checking their accounts. I would imagine Oxford wouldn't have many takers in this market.

I personally think we are heading towards a situation where businesses have to put their prices up at a time where the general public are worse off, which won't end well. It would be nice if we had a government which even talked about a plan to solve the problem, rather than celebrating Centrica making over a billlion quid!

Happened today league weren't bothered.
The odd fixture will be moved on police advice due to potential crowd issues, which is why our game was 12:30 today, but clubs can’t just decide to switch times for the sake of it, particularly en masse. The police need to be involved.

The EFL board has already privately been asked to consider sanctioning changing kickoff times to avoid floodlight use this winter and has so far refused.

The clubs can’t move games without it being sanctioned, and BT will have something to say if half the country is clashing with their 12:30 kick offs while SKY’s highlights are no longer first to view as the games become iFollow eligible.
BT should have no say about EFL games they only cover Premier games.

BT should have no say about EFL games they only cover Premier games.
The value of their multi-billion pound TV mega deal with the Premier League is based on assurances that at 12:30 on a Saturday afternoon they will nearly always be the only game in the country. Start moving the majority of EFL games to clash with said 12:30 kickoff and see what happens to the viewing figures. Then see what the reaction to that is.

Money talks. The broadcasters and the PL are in charge.

If enough clubs do it they will. After all Bolton cancelled a fixture and only notified the other club/FL via announcing it on social media with no comeback. I'm not sure that the FL management would want this battle should the clubs want to do it as they'll look even more incompetent.

There will be sackings in FL management if clubs aren't allowed to protect themselves as much as possible from the cost of living crisis and this is an easy and obvious way.
Bolton were fined £70000 and a 5 point deduction suspended for 2 years.

Bolton were fined £70000 and a 5 point deduction suspended for 2 years.

As I said no comeback considering they screwed over another club the night before without even having the courtesy to contact them to mitigate their costs days before. This would involve both clubs rather than a club unilaterally making a decision.

And the other factor is the threat of blackouts to save energy supplies. It may not come to this but it will look bad if football clubs/leagues aren't doing their bit and I include the PL. BT/Sky would have to adapt their schedules and the 3pm blackout would have to at the least be suspended or moved.

That would work. Won’t be doing that then.😂

I'm just waiting for a policy based on Trussonomics. Based on this from ConservativeHome, it probably won't be very encouraging for the economy:

Last edited:

Well Starmer has come back on the cost of living crisis.
Think he realises that it’s in the best interests of the country on this occasion to spoon food the Tories the correct policy, for them to then copy and claim as their own. The implications of not letting them pretend they sorted it out all by themselves are far too severe this time.

Think he realises that it’s in the best interests of the country on this occasion to spoon food the Tories the correct policy, for them to then copy and claim as their own. The implications of not letting them pretend they sorted it out all by themselves are far too severe this time.
Details of how it would be financed are to follow but I guess a greater windfall tax would be the easy answer.

No problem either way if it jolts the Conservatives into making a decision.

What we need right now is some sort of certainty going into the next 6 months or so.

Details of how it would be financed are to follow but I guess a greater windfall tax would be the easy answer.

No problem either way if it jolts the Conservatives into making a decision.

What we need right now is some sort of certainty going into the next 6 months or so.
Absolutely. We just need a government. One that actually understands that its priority is the people and well-being of this country, rather than itself and its associated cronies and donors. We are so atrociously equipped to deal with this scenario on every single level. It should be the only thing that matters right now, but as usual we’ve all got to sit and wait for the Conservative party to sort itself out. It’s always the same, time and again. Everything in this sodding country comes back to the bloody Conservative party. Let’s have an election because the party can’t agree; let’s have a referendum because the party can’t agree; let’s allow the fire to sweep through the entire house because the party can’t agree. F*ck the party.

I can genuinely see a scenario where millions of people essentially go on strike and stop paying their bills in the next 6-9 months.

Tory party members, on the whole don’t believe in “hand outs” as they themselves don’t need then & as they are the ones that are deciding the next PM no decision will be made until after the new PM is announced.

I can genuinely see a scenario where millions of people essentially go on strike and stop paying their bills in the next 6-9 months.
I can't wait to see what EY makes of that...

I got a payrise this year, I earn a decent wage and so does my partner. Yet we are looking down the barrel of having zero disposable income very soon. That is not right.

Tory party members, on the whole don’t believe in “hand outs” as they themselves don’t need then & as they are the ones that are deciding the next PM no decision will be made until after the new PM is announced.
Apart from their triple locked pensions and winter fuel allowances....