International News Covid-19 .....

Backbenchers are being absolute legends and preventing us from decimating business and social life again without looking at the bigger picture.
There seems to be many in the retail, entertainment and hospitality sectors that beg to differ.

I took a LFT this morning and produced only the faintest of T lines so I'm nearly rid of the thing. I need a negative tomorrow and Wednesday if I'm going to get to the Wimbledon game.

I am now putting the house on Laphroaig Quarter Cask 48% volume to get me over the line. Wish me luck.

I am 100% certain that this is the case in Germany too. There is nothing we are doing that differs hugely from the UK (with the key difference being masks and pubs/restaurants), but our case rates are right down while hospital numbers are level and deaths remain suspiciously high. I think people with symptoms are just not testing themselves or, if they are self-testing, are just isolating without it going in the books.

EDITED TO ADD: We have banned fireworks and large public gatherings on NYE also...

Correct me if I am wrong but I read your testing has to be paid for?
Therefore you will get far fewer cases (no testing) but higher hospital admissions and deaths so those statistics will be skewed.

Same as we get far fewer isolating or doing tests because we don't provide financial support for isolating personages.

Correct me if I am wrong but I read your testing has to be paid for?
Therefore you will get far fewer cases (no testing) but higher hospital admissions and deaths so those statistics will be skewed.
They were paid for a brief period (from 11 October to 12 November) but that was swiftly knocked on the head. Now free again (once a week per person).

Or we pressure these people into work and infect far greater numbers.

Not pressure , but an institutional “take a sickie” mentality that has been instilled in the civil service for decades. For instance the railways have a number of allowed sick days before it goes on your record so they all take the “allowed” sick days on top of holidays.

Working from home has confused some of them into forgetting that they can actually work… But couldn’t make it to the office so are off sick.

Not pressure , but an institutional “take a sickie” mentality that has been instilled in the civil service for decades. For instance the railways have a number of allowed sick days before it goes on your record so they all take the “allowed” sick days on top of holidays.

Working from home has confused some of them into forgetting that they can actually work… But couldn’t make it to the office so are off sick.
No, I don't think 'the railways' are part of 'the civil service'. Dig out your old Daily Mails and try again.

I think they're sort of privatised. The ones that haven't gone bust are still ponying dosh to the mostly foreign investors that got lucky and the taxpayer is propping up the rest. Yay, free market!

No work place has "allowed" sick before it goes on your record. There will be varying levels of absence before you face warnings etc, but that applies to all professions, as those "taking a sickie".

I've worked for the civil service for other 26 years, and had a total of 37 days absent, the vast majority of which were as a consequence of assaults at work. I've not taken a single day sick in over 6 years despite being on the "frontline" through a number of covid outbreaks.

So your bitterness is misplaced and slightly embarrassing.

No work place has "allowed" sick before it goes on your record. There will be varying levels of absence before you face warnings etc, but that applies to all professions, as those "taking a sickie".

I've worked for the civil service for other 26 years, and had a total of 37 days absent, the vast majority of which were as a consequence of assaults at work. I've not taken a single day sick in over 6 years despite being on the "frontline" through a number of covid outbreaks.

So your bitterness is misplaced and slightly embarrassing.

Does your service still use the Bradford Index/Factor to calculate absence?

And just for @MarkG there are targets set after 3 episodes or 10 days absence in a rolling 12 month period at our Trust.

How "firm" those targets are is a matter for debate but they seem to work.

We used to allow our staff 10 days (2 weeks) paid sick p/a on a rolling 12 month basis.

Most staff were fine but we had 2 in particular who clearly saw this as an additional paid holiday entitlement and the pattern of illness over a 3 year analysis was somewhat obvious.

Whatever protocols you have in place, many will just go about their normal business but some will always abuse it, just as some will always abuse the welfare system to the detriment of those who really need it.

We used to allow our staff 10 days (2 weeks) paid sick p/a on a rolling 12 month basis.

Most staff were fine but we had 2 in particular who clearly saw this as an additional paid holiday entitlement and the pattern of illness over a 3 year analysis was somewhat obvious.

Whatever protocols you have in place, many will just go about their normal business but some will always abuse it, just as some will always abuse the welfare system to the detriment of those who really need it.
Too true....

Back
Top Bottom