Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I think that there is more faith in our experiences of the benefit of not pulling the trigger on managers too quickly. Both Appleton and Robinson had poor starts and people called for their heads, but through sticking with them we experienced some excellent football and one promotion. We see many other clubs, Charlton for example, serially fire manager after manager and all that seems to do is deliver their fans an increasingly poor outcome.

I’d rather continue down our path than knee jerk our way to rebuild after rebuild and the destination which so often follows.

Williams and his puppet Benson appear to be more concerned with creating division and scoring points against long standing supporters, rather than putting in a support structure for a young, inexperienced manager

Mean spirited, insecure and thin skinned comes to mind.

Do your job properly, and get your priorities right.
Or get out.

I've voted that he needs at least the summer window, but if there had been an option that said something along the lines of:

'Yes, but he needs backing properly. Move Grant and Tim on and replace them with some proper football people' then I would have voted that instead.

They are a way bigger problem.
Perhaps we can have this question in a poll under the senior management thread?

I think that there is more faith in our experiences of the benefit of not pulling the trigger on managers too quickly. Both Appleton and Robinson had poor starts and people called for their heads, but through sticking with them we experienced some excellent football and one promotion. We see many other clubs, Charlton for example, serially fire manager after manager and all that seems to do is deliver their fans an increasingly poor outcome.

I’d rather continue down our path than knee jerk our way to rebuild after rebuild and the destination which so often follows.
Whilst I understand the point your making, serially firing managers has them in the same league as Oxford, Watford even got promoted to the Premier League having changed managers 3 times in that season. So there is an argument that it shows you'd be in no worse position. As an outsider (my father in law supports Oxford) I would stick with him and give him a summer of getting his own players.

Whilst I understand the point your making, serially firing managers has them in the same league as Oxford, Watford even got promoted to the Premier League having changed managers 3 times in that season. So there is an argument that it shows you'd be in no worse position. As an outsider (my father in law supports Oxford) I would stick with him and give him a summer of getting his own players.
@David1022 I can't say I'm fond of Luton but your lot are making a great go of the PL!

I admire what Luton have done, live in eternal hope we might do it. Reaching the PL is some achievement without serious serious money.

Did you guys love Hylton as much as we did?

They’re in the same division but we have a fair chance of making the playoffs whereby they have a better chance of being relegated.

So yes, broadly we’re playing at the same level but we’re in much better shape.

Again, very few saw him turning it around, me included.

There certainly wasn't the blind faith we see with Des.

Maybe that's the lesson. Fingers crossed.

At this stage I don't think it is a case of blind faith, but rather a matter of just giving the guy time to have a decent crack of the whip.

If he ends up doing well for us, I know you certainly would be one of those that does actually hold your hands up and say you got it wrong, but that approach of throwing your support behind him once he's done some good is somewhat after the horse has bolted.

I suspect all most of us are doing here, despite recognising the difficulties, is allowing him that time to prove himself one way or another.

I can't imagine after a few transfer windows and a poor points tally this time next season many will be disagreeing that it actually hasn't worked out and the doubters were right.

Sadly for us we are at that juncture (again) where we have to accept that things have gone awry after a positive start and yet again we have to show some patience, something we have become very used to over the years, as frustrating as it is.

I’m of the opinion that, while it’s obviously too early to seriously consider giving Des the elbow, I’m really concerned about his start. That’s not just the results - I wouldn’t be so concerned if we were playing bright attacking football with a coach on the touchline who is clearly in charge and showing that he fully knows what he is doing and has the full backing of all the players and staff, but weren’t getting the rub of the green.

But he hasn’t really shown any of that up to this point. I too am wondering what the people who are saying that he will ‘come good and prove he is a good coach’ are seeing so far..?

It’s been a shoddy start to say the least but of course he will be given more time. I would’ve said this weekends game at Blackpool would have been a huge day of judgement, given a full week on the training ground and players coming back in to the fold, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets postponed if the huge dumping of snow forecast for the northern half of the country materialises on Thursday and Friday

It’s also interesting that some have turned their fingers of blame fully at Tim and Grant. I fully agree that the pair deserve a lot of blame for their poor performances but I also don’t think that means Des can get away Scot free.

He really does need to start showing more. We need to at least see a team that understands what it is supposed to be doing, show some solid structure and, most of all, play with some passion.

I admire what Luton have done, live in eternal hope we might do it. Reaching the PL is some achievement without serious serious money.

Did you guys love Hylton as much as we did?
It's all been down to the smart recruitment, we have never had a bucket full of cash to splash on loads of players, so have had to be creative and its worked. Like Oxford, we dont have a shiny big stadium (yet), but if we can make it all the way up to the top table, then there is hope for Oxford.

Although I must admit, whilst not following Oxfords style of play etc, there does seem to have been a lack of a plan when signing players. I remember when we were in a league 1, we made a conscious effort to sign players we felt could also perform in the Championship. But with Oxford it does seem there is an over reliance on loan players

He is eternally loved by Luton fans, he is a massive part of our success, but even more so, he is loved because he was/is a massive wind up merchant.

It's all been down to the smart recruitment, we have never had a bucket full of cash to splash on loads of players, so have had to be creative and its worked. Like Oxford, we dont have a shiny big stadium (yet), but if we can make it all the way up to the top table, then there is hope for Oxford.

Although I must admit, whilst not following Oxfords style of play etc, there does seem to have been a lack of a plan when signing players. I remember when we were in a league 1, we made a conscious effort to sign players we felt could also perform in the Championship. But with Oxford it does seem there is an over reliance on loan players

He is eternally loved by Luton fans, he is a massive part of our success, but even more so, he is loved because he was/is a massive wind up merchant.

Is Mick Harford still a key staff member for you or has he taken a more backseat role?

From the outside he seems intrinsic to getting you into the PL.

Well he certainly has to be given the summer transfer window

I'm the same age as Chrissy Allen. I know it's added nothing to this discussion but I wanted to get involved.
You’re joking right?

‘Which OUFC Related Folk Do You Share Your Age With’ sounds infinitely more preferable to most of the posts on here. Mine included.

Back
Top Bottom