Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

How about you shut up and show some respect for a fellow human being? It might not be working out, and maybe it won't ever work out, but he's not 'stealing a wage'. He's probably doing his utmost to make this work. For whatever reason that obviously isn't working, but there's no justification for accusing him of stealing a wage. You are a nasty piece of work.

I'm entitled to an opinion. £5,000 a week ? He is currently stealing a wage. When you are employed by someone a level of competence, as well as effort, is required. The effort might be there, the competence clearly is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you just rip up a 3 year contract?

No. He wont quit, that's for sure, and I don't blame him. I'm sure he must be seriously doubting himself at this level but you'd have to have the conscience and values of a saint to put what's best for the club before a half a million pound pay off. Obviously him leaving would mean the best for Oxford United but he cannot be blamed for sitting tight, it's up to others to make the correct call.

I'm entitled to an opinion. £5,000 a week ? He is currently stealing a wage. When you are employed by someone a level of competence, as well as effort, is required. The effort might be there, the competence clearly is not.
I would hope that is beneath you, Dick.

He's not stealing a wage, he's managing an underperforming football team. You wish to lay all the blame for that performance at his door, that's fine if that is what you really think, despite the evidence offered on here multiple times from multiple sources.

Quite frankly, it's a little one-eyed, dick.

Yes in his position. He’s young, and has time on his side.
Do you would just walk away for £750k?!

I know I wouldn’t and also he isn’t someone who will just quit.
Every manager in professional football is competitive and will believe they can turn things around after just a few months of being in the job.

He isn’t stealing a wage. The club haven’t sacked him yet so are clearly happy to still pay him his wage.
If you want to go down the route of stealing a wage then turn your attention to Rodrigues, McGuane and Bodin who have apparently decided to down tools and not put in any effort any more. That is stealing a wage!

Do you would just walk away for £750k?!

I know I wouldn’t and also he isn’t someone who will just quit.
Every manager in professional football is competitive and will believe they can turn things around after just a few months of being in the job.
Was thinking the same thing.

It must be great to be in a position to just walk away from a cool three-quarters of a million pounds, just to save a bit of face. :unsure:

Back in the real world however . . . . .

Yes 100% serious.

What evidence is there that he will be gone in 2-3 games if things don't improve?

What evidence is there that 'the panic button has been pressed'? What does the latter even mean?

He says ‘panic button’. I’m going ‘ignore button’.

I’m bored of Baldy’s ‘Tackley Steve’-style posts that suggest he knows everything.

It’s very hard to be supportive of DB and the job he’s doing at present, but there are far better ways to read about it and discuss it than the knowall gumpf he’s posting.

I would hope that is beneath you, Dick.

He's not stealing a wage, he's managing an underperforming football team. You wish to lay all the blame for that performance at his door, that's fine if that is what you really think, despite the evidence offered on here multiple times from mulitple sources.

Quite frankly, it's a little one-eyed, dick.

Don't take it quite so literally. I'm not suggesting he's raiding the club tills in the dead of night clad in a balaclava !

It's a figure of speech but lets put it another way, for a quarter of million pounds a year he's massively under performing. If you're happy to accuse McGuane and Rodrigues of under performing then there's no way Des Buckingham can get away with it either. Is he value for money ? Certainly not. Not 'stealing' in the true meaning of the word 'stealing' but I think you know what I mean.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall ,if Sir Alex was our manager. No shouting, I really do think is we carry on the same form until the end of the season so much damage would be done he would have to go. Even if we don't get back into the top 6 and less behonest the fans seem sadly to see more than Des the performances have been of a relegation team. We need to finish the season with a big up turn of form the club have got to sell season tickets .It's also upto the players to show some passion but at the end of the day you have got to believe in a method .We will see Saturday if the players still believe, because the fans are definately turning there backs .Cometh the hour ,Cometh the team .We all have every thing crossed.

He isn’t stealing a wage. The club haven’t sacked him yet so are clearly happy to still pay him his wage.
If you want to go down the route of stealing a wage then turn your attention to Rodrigues, McGuane and Bodin who have apparently decided to down tools and not put in any effort any more. That is stealing a wage!

Far more evidence is required that those three have downed tools than just a few flaky performances and a bit of gossip on here - in my opinion. They might be unhappy with the appointment but there's still professional pride and I remain unconvinced that their performances are anything more than form, playing in a dysfunctional and chaotic team and reflective of just a general malaise around the whole club.

Des needs three things:

1. More time
2. More money
3. More respect

The Des bashers can go and support Knobinson's Salford City if they miss his style of management so much. They've got absolutely no clue when it comes to football management - some of us who have managed football teams know how hard it is to come on board and deliver immediate change.

Don't take it quite so literally. I'm not suggesting he's raiding the club tills in the dead of night clad in a balaclava !

It's a figure of speech but lets put it another way, for a quarter of million pounds a year he's massively under performing. If you're happy to accuse McGuane and Rodrigues of under performing then there's no way Des Buckingham can get away with it either. Is he value for money ? Certainly not. Not 'stealing' in the true meaning of the word 'stealing' but I think you know what I mean.
You're not happy with his performance, I don't think anyone is, but several are open-minded enough to entertain the possibility that the performance of the team is not all down to him. You yourself have admitted as much in previous posts, but your come back will be "yeah, but the buck stops with Des" - and it quite possibly does(only the board can decide that), but does not change the fact that there are several factors that have got us to this point. It would be myopic to think otherwise, Dick. That's my point.

The main difference is not many would be quite so hysterical in their use of language as you are and use such a ridiculous term as "stealing a wage". So maybe dial down the histrionics, argue your point based on a bit more than "Des is the antichrist" and maybe people wouldn't react the way they do to you.

And actually, @Leysboy has named and accused those players of downing tools. None of us know whether this is true or not, but that statement has not been retracted. Many do however agree that their performances have been below par for a long time now. And if @Leysboy is right in his assertion, then I think stealing a wage is more apt for them than Des, don't you?

I personally think we’ll scrape 3 wins, get a draw in 1 and lose the rest, which will leave us on 70 pts and missing out on the play offs by a handful of points.

That’ll be enough to keep Des in a job and the club will start the rallying cry of ‘Get behind Des and the boys next season after a valiant attempt to make the play-offs narrowly fell short’ etc etc when it’s time to renew season tickets.

I’m not sure I’ll feel excited and motivated enough to stick my hand in my pocket. Especially with how tight money is at the moment.
I understand people will have their reasons for not renewing their season tickets, whether that’s for financial reasons, or simply discontent with the football on display, but I’ve been watching OUFC since the mid 80’s, and I just couldn’t imagine not going to watch OUFC on a Saturday, regardless of the standard on show.

Money is particularly tight for me at the moment, always is, but I’m a die hard fan, and a glutton for punishment, so whether it’s Des, Bez, or Timmy Mallett wearing a fez, I’ll be dipping into my pocket for a season ticket, again…and again, and again…

If he were to go, where would he end up? League 2? National league? At Oxford city?

Well, Robinson who is a far superior manager, has ended up eight places off the NL. Do the maths and that will tell you DB is probably on a plane back to India or managing an U18 side somewhere in the pyramid.

Des needs three things:

1. More time
2. More money
3. More respect

The Des bashers can go and support Knobinson's Salford City if they miss his style of management so much. They've got absolutely no clue when it comes to football management - some of us who have managed football teams know how hard it is to come on board and deliver immediate change.
And when is Des going to show he deserves the above? He didn’t need to deliver immediate change, just keep things broadly the same.

And on your last point, Chris Wilder, Michael Skubala and Kieran McKenna would love a word.

I’m sorry but I just don’t get this kind of attitude. Fair play, if financially you cannot afford to renew or if other commitments mean that you will not get to enough games to
make it financially viable.
However, this ultimatum style “you’d best make a change, or else” attitude is something that I struggle to get on board with. Do you honestly think the club are going to take any notice of Joshua on an online forum?

Ultimately, you’ll either decide to support Oxford United FC or you won’t. If you do then great. If you don’t and it’s purely down to who the manager is, then I think that is more reflective of you and your other 4, rather than the club trying to show some loyalty and support to the man in charge. All about opinions I guess.
No to all of it
I understand people will have their reasons for not renewing their season tickets, whether that’s for financial reasons, or simply discontent with the football on display, but I’ve been watching OUFC since the mid 80’s, and I just couldn’t imagine not going to watch OUFC on a Saturday, regardless of the standard on show.

Money is particularly tight for me at the moment, always is, but I’m a die hard fan, and a glutton for punishment, so whether it’s Des, Bez, or Timmy Mallett wearing a fez, I’ll be dipping into my pocket for a season ticket, again…and again, and again…
😂😂😂

Exactly, it's a labour of love. No real fans are going anywhere other than the ticket office come the summer.

When did this get accepted as fact?

I'm curious - @Leysboy (and others) were widely ridiculed for suggesting players had given up on the manager a few weeks back (when the situation on pitch was less problematic and those doing the ridiculing were still promoting a togetherness).

But now that the manager is really up against it and we can all see further drop in performance, these very same intimations are now accepted at face value - by the same people who ridiculed and dismissed them previously.

It looks like they've now become a useful deflection to any criticism of the manager...

Back
Top Bottom