Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

In what world are we slight favourites? We are a poor footballing side, concede soft goals, have a manager reluctant to take the handbrake off and are just about the most inconsistent side in L1. Lincoln can’t stop winning, score for fun, are sound defensively and have unbelievable momentum. And we are favourites? I’ll be staggered if you find even one Oxford fan who thinks we have the upper hand and are favourites now!
Its the hope that kills ya - I'll at the game Monday, as will my sister, nephew, plus my partners son and two of my 3 granddaughters, supporting the U's, Up the Manor

Of course it isn’t irrelevant. Appleton took over a team in need of a major rebuild. Des took over one that was largely a winning one.
No. It was a team that had a very brief run of form. This team needs rebuilding, too many are past it or injury prone to sustain the early form.

Last edited:
You've said it before, it doesn't add anything to the conversation.

I think we’re at the point of once again choosing to ignore facts like these and bury our heads in the sand. The same happened in the last 6-12 months under KR.

24 games is over half a season. The next 6 will take Des up to the 30 game mark. Don’t see how anyone can believe he deserves to get a pre season.

I believe a change is required by the board if they’re serious about promotion next season.

If they make it now there’s a chance we may make the play offs this year which then does become a lottery. We certainly aren’t making them based on anything shown so far under DB.

I think we’re at the point of once again choosing to ignore facts like these and bury our heads in the sand. The same happened in the last 6-12 months under KR.

24 games is over half a season. The next 6 will take Des up to the 30 game mark. Don’t see how anyone can believe he deserves to get a pre season.

I believe a change is required by the board if they’re serious about promotion next season.

If they make it now there’s a chance we may make the play offs this year which then does become a lottery. We certainly aren’t making them based on anything shown so far under DB.
I’ve conceded DB isn’t the answer but it’s pointless suggesting we bring someone in now, as the board 100% won’t do it. So there’s another fact for you mate! ;)

I’ve conceded DB isn’t the answer but it’s pointless suggesting we bring someone in now, as the board 100% won’t do it. So there’s another fact for you mate! ;)

Paul Heckingbottom (Sheffield United), Michael Duff (Cheltenham & Barnsley) or Alex Neil (Sunderland & Norwich) are 3 high level replacements we could go for.

I think the board are clearly ambitious judging by the money they’re prepared to spend so don’t think a change is impossible.

This seasons gone but a replacement needs to happen soonish to have the whole of preseason like Manning did last summer.

No. It was a team that had a very brief run of form. This team needs rebuilding, too many are past it
Paul Heckingbottom (Sheffield United), Michael Duff (Cheltenham & Barnsley) or Alex Neil (Sunderland & Norwich) are 3 high level replacements we could go for.

I think the board are clearly ambitious judging by the money they’re prepared to spend so don’t think a change is impossible.
Def. good candidates out there mate but I’d be staggered if he’s sacked

This seasons gone but a replacement needs to happen soonish to have the whole of preseason like Manning did last summer.

I want to be excited going in to this summer ahead of next season after just missing out on the top 6.

I’ll only get that with a manager change and an appointment with a real statement of intent. (Heckingbottom/Duff/Neil) Managers who have done very well in the EFL in the last few seasons.

I want to be excited going in to this summer ahead of next season after just missing out on the top 6.

I’ll only get that with a manager change and an appointment with a real statement of intent. (Heckingbottom/Duff/Neil) Managers who have done very well in the EFL in the last few seasons.

Yes I agree. It's not just the results under Des, the football has been woeful at times even when we've won.

I'm certainly not rushing into renewing my season ticket, I will wait to see what signings we make first if we stick with Des.

No. Frustration and disappointment but absolutely no relief.

We have some fans who appear to have down tooled long before our players allegedly did. Even now, with Lincoln still to play at home, I'd have us as slight favourites still to make 6th.

That doesn't take anything away from today which was definitely 2 points dropped, but I'd hope that serves as yet another kick up the ass for everyone.

If the league table still looked like it did at 1-0 then I would agree.

But Lincoln have had all the momentum, which has now taken them to 6th. They are on an incredible run of form and I think we needed that 4 point cushion over them going into our home game.

If Oxfords and Lincoln’s recent form was reversed, there is no doubt we would really have fancied our chances. I just don’t see Lincoln giving this final spot up. But stranger things have happened.

We’ll keep hoping, but for sure we need a win against Lincoln now, whereas we could possibly have got away with a draw/loss had the results not changed in the final minutes of the games today.

I would say it is quite a stretch to consider us as favourites now, easier run in or not, because out of the two sides it is us that are slipping up and throwing away valuable points.

The season is gone? What just give in?
It is unlikely, but I hope that the players don't give in like that

We've only won 1 game against any team above 15th in the Table in 17 attempts. Even if we did somehow miraculously finish in 6th we will be embarrassed in the play offs.

Manager and squad are not good enough to go up.

We've only won 1 game against any team above 15th in the Table in 17 attempts. Even if we did somehow miraculously finish in 6th we will be embarrassed in the play offs.

Manager and squad are not good enough to go up.
This is the truth I’m afraid and it’s so hard to accept for a lot of us including myself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom