Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Officially we are the highest ranked team out of our main rivals. We didn't lose, Swindon did. That's enough for me to get a good night's sleep.

Hopefully Matete helps sort that out. We've struggled to get clean sheets since Gorrin got crocked.

16 points from 14 games.

You could argue that it’s relegation form.
Today looked like one of our relegation 6 pointers towards the end of last season I have to say. We were good for half an hour, good press and full of energy but again lacking in any real pattern of play or style. Just bursts of individual quality. Reading were crap and we couldn’t produce anything to make ourselves look any better.

Looks like Manning may have saved us twice from relegation!! Jokes aside we’ve got nowhere near enough about our play to expect more than we’re currently getting out of games. I can’t remember the last time we saw a result that wasn’t deserved so that points haul seems pretty fair against how we’ve performed. To still be in the play off mix is remarkable.

Today looked like one of our relegation 6 pointers towards the end of last season I have to say. We were good for half an hour, good press and full of energy but again lacking in any real pattern of play or style. Just bursts of individual quality. Reading were crap and we couldn’t produce anything to make ourselves look any better.

Looks like Manning may have saved us twice from relegation!! Jokes aside we’ve got nowhere near enough about our play to expect more than we’re currently getting out of games. I can’t remember the last time we saw a result that wasn’t deserved so that points haul seems pretty fair against how we’ve performed. To still be in the play off mix is remarkable.

To be in the mix now, imo would suggest that this years league 1 is bang average

Hopefully Matete helps sort that out. We've struggled to get clean sheets since Gorrin got crocked.
Matete probably isn't going to be the saviour people think he is although he's an excellent coup on paper. I actually don't think he was needed as that position is adequately covered - rather would've seen an attacking central midfielder to replace Marcus Browne who sits behind the strikers and gives that bit of pace between the midfield and up top. Portsmouth savaged our middle on and off the ball with their speed and constant press and that's what we desperately need rather than another defensive-focused midfielder covering an already wonky defence. I think it may be time to rest McGuane and give Matete a full game to see how he fares in comparison but for me it'll likely just feel like-for-like rather than a game-changing addition.

Matete probably isn't going to be the saviour people think he is although he's an excellent coup on paper. I actually don't think he was needed as that position is adequately covered - rather would've seen an attacking central midfielder to replace Marcus Browne who sits behind the strikers and gives that bit of pace between the midfield and up top. Portsmouth savaged our middle on and off the ball with their speed and constant press and that's what we desperately need rather than another defensive-focused midfielder covering an already wonky defence. I think it may be time to rest McGuane and give Matete a full game to see how he fares in comparison but for me it'll likely just feel like-for-like rather than a game-changing addition.
Most people have been saying that we need another defensive midfielder.

Based on Des' time here, is there any evidence at all that we can achieve anything?

I acknowledge a lot of managers don't start brilliantly, but they usually at least show you something. He's given us no reason to believe he's the man for the job.

Manning got 32pts from 15 games.

You could argue that’s title winning form😎

Manning had the side singing from the same hymn sheet, wether that was playing out from defence, pressing the opposition or controlling the possession.

Des on the other hand it's like the players don't know what there role is. Second half you had Harris, Burey and Rodrigues pressing up top which Reading bypassed and found lots of space due to the midfield not pushing up and also pressing.

I was watching the technical areas during the second half and Readings was way more active with giving out instructions. Their manager was waving and directing players into certain areas. Des on the other hand was sat down.

Manning had the side singing from the same hymn sheet, wether that was playing out from defence, pressing the opposition or controlling the possession.

Des on the other hand it's like the players don't know what there role is. Second half you had Harris, Burey and Rodrigues pressing up top which Reading bypassed and found lots of space due to the midfield not pushing up and also pressing.

I was watching the technical areas during the second half and Readings was way more active with giving out instructions. Their manager was waving and directing players into certain areas. Des on the other hand was sat down.
Agree. Des didn’t learn from the Pompey game either - they kept finding that gaping hole between our midfield and strikers allowing them to form build-up play and Reading replicated that today albeit not as quickly or effectively. Cam and McGuane sit too deep and we really could do with Browne right now just to add pace and a presence. We have no press and the centre midfield is a wide open area which teams can play into with ease and comfort from the back.

Des also failed to deal with their triple change which turned the final 20 minutes on its head. Suddenly they looked dangerous and it completely threw what little game plan we had going. We just persisted with whatever we were trying to do. Burey should not have been taken off either and Smyth probably should’ve come on for Rodrigues.

For me, it feels strangely similar to the Pep Clotet era but maybe back to front or inside out.

Pep started well, then his tatics was found out by other managers and all was lost.

Des Ball started poorly, seems to have improved but still can't best a poor team.

Regardless of injuries, Reading should have been finished off. I can't believe we've only got 2 points from them this season.

Anyone know what value is delivered by bringing the new CDM on with two minutes to go actually achieves? This substitution felt desperate

Back
Top Bottom