Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I've never known anything like it. You honestly could have dragged a fan out the north stand and he would have done the same or better. Insane.
I honestly think if we didn’t hire a manager and just said to the players ‘run it among yourselves, keep doing what you’re doing’ it wouldn’t have been materially worse. Giving it to Craig Short wouldn’t have been materially worse.

Maybe allowing the fans to vote on formations and picking the team like that one side did a while back might have been worse…

‘It’s hard not to see an upturn in form’ makes no sense though. Teams run on confidence, on form, plus sides who average 2.19 points a game as we did before Des are likely to have better players than sides who just lost and lost as Blackburn did before Eustace took over.

It’s not been a miracle but he’s turned losses into draws. He’s doing a better job than Des is.
And when a team is struggling like that and the manager is replaced how often do results stay the same? There's usually a buzz about the place and performances tend to improve often overnight, I'd be genuinely interested to see how many examples there are of a team getting two points from eight games, sacking their manager and then not massively improving.

He is doing a better job than Des but that's not to say he's doing well there, which was my issue with the original post. I don't think he's doing particularly well at all, although I agree he's doing better than the guy we've got in charge.

Atkins to Rix was the worst manager transition in our history. What made that worse was that Kassam torpedoed our promotion chances. Manning to DB was because Manning left.
Atkins comes in for alot of criticism but in my eyes, and maybe I'm crazy, his five at the back stopped the rot and should be given credit for that even though it was boring to watch.

Rix should never been allowed to be a manager. End of.

....but ignoring his ugly shortcomings for a moment, did he have this comparatively successful team and backing? No, he didn't (but he shouldn't have been a manager anyway so ignore)

I have always wanted to see Des do well but he's clearly out of his depth.I feel he has to go asap the players are definitely not playing for him.Saying that the performances of the players was a disgrace mcguane and Rodrigues were shocking.

What do we work on Monday - Friday? Never have I seen such a clueless team. We play it short, 2 yards to our own keeper from a goal kick, then play a suicide pass to Brannigan or Mcguene who if they get they play another suicide pass to a full bank who kicks it out or back to the keeper to kick it out. No movement to receive a pass, no plan with the ball, we will have 5 passes and end up back at the keeper time and time again…

Not once did we play through the lines tonight. Absolutely clueless. High risk no reward.

Player movement, patterns of play, clever free kicks - anything that suggests a plan is non existent. Similar squad to what Manning had but the quality of football never further away. We have some good players all look shocking - it’s the managers job to get them playing - Des isn’t the man out him out of his misery and pull the trigger.

Hindsight is great right but feel like we missed a trick not appointing John Eustace…

Can someone find a league table just including the games played since Des arrived? Surely we would be in a relegation fight…

Can someone find a league table just including the games played since Des arrived? Surely we would be in a relegation fight…

eng_leagueone.gif

2023/24 League One Date Range: 16-NOV-2023 to 12-MAR-2024​

Pos
Team​
P WDLGFGA WDLGFGA GDPts
1Derby County21 6221912 812196 2045
2Portsmouth21 6121813 642156 1441
3Barnsley20 6321716 5401912 840
4Peterborough United19 5222312 6221714 1437
5Reading21 6232113 3521414 834
6Leyton Orient21 5241213 5231510 434
7Blackpool20 631216 4061112 1433
8Bolton Wanderers20 521209 4441515 1133
9Northampton Town21 5321411 4341925 -333
10Lincoln City21 352107 533159 932
11Stevenage19 532127 4231310 832
12Wigan Athletic20 623137 2341318 129
13Bristol Rovers20 4251316 4051316 -626
14Cheltenham Town19 5231613 225711 -125
15Oxford United21 4431915 2351016 -225
16Exeter City21 353810 316920 -1324
17Wycombe Wanderers20 3431715 235810 022
18Charlton Athletic22 2441315 2641619 -522
19Shrewsbury Town20 216814 4251016 -1221
20Cambridge United19 325812 2251113 -619
21Burton Albion19 316712 234714 -1219
22Fleetwood Town21 2261116 1551119 -1316
23Port Vale19 2361619 116616 -1313
24Carlisle United19 126820 1181023 -259

Last edited:
Personally think the recruitment dept have had a January window shocker!! Cumming really not doing it at present, Burey ...? Who knows? Matete obviously not fit, Goodwin we were told had a slight knock and as a precaution would miss two, possibly three games. Its almost mid march and he still hasnt played a full game !! Oh and kyle Edwards till the end of the season that 'MAY' be available before the end of the season. Only at Oxford !!

Personally think the recruitment dept have had a January window shocker!! Cumming really not doing it at present, Burey ...? Who knows? Matete obviously not fit, Goodwin we were told had a slight knock and as a precaution would miss two, possibly three games. Its almost mid march and he still hasnt played a full game !! Oh and kyle Edwards till the end of the season that 'MAY' be available before the end of the season. Only at Oxford !!

Doesn't look good currently.

What do we work on Monday - Friday? Never have I seen such a clueless team. We play it short, 2 yards to our own keeper from a goal kick, then play a suicide pass to Brannigan or Mcguene who if they get they play another suicide pass to a full bank who kicks it out or back to the keeper to kick it out. No movement to receive a pass, no plan with the ball, we will have 5 passes and end up back at the keeper time and time again…

Not once did we play through the lines tonight. Absolutely clueless. High risk no reward.

Player movement, patterns of play, clever free kicks - anything that suggests a plan is non existent. Similar squad to what Manning had but the quality of football never further away. We have some good players all look shocking - it’s the managers job to get them playing - Des isn’t the man out him out of his misery and pull the trigger.

Hindsight is great right but feel like we missed a trick not appointing John Eustace…

That pass that Cumming made to McGuane in the first half was suicidal. What was he thinking ? I’m struggling to see what this ball from keeper to midfielder, sideways to the full back is actually about. Is it too simplistic to say just give it to the full back from the keeper ? Seems to me it’s two risky passes as opposed to one safe one.

We still love signing crocs!

Which is all part of our ongoing problems on the field.

The thing for me is how many goals we're conceding from individual errors. Only one goal tonight was in any way unavoidable. Add to that the goals at Pompey, both goals against Northampton, the two against Orient, the three away at Rovers, the one at home to Barnsley etc etc etc.

How many goals did we concede under Manning from these errors? Very few. Because he knew how to coach them.

Des said judge him after the injuries. He then said judge him after the fixture congestion. Now we've got judge me when the January signings have played more minutes. We've got decent strength in the squad now and he still isn't making changes or any sort of tactical tweak. I have no idea what we're trying to do and tonight was simply appalling.

Happy to caveat this by saying we were grossly overperforming to be 2nd when he took over, but the sharp decline in performance since his first day in the job is inexcusable.

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but we're going backwards with every game. It's getting tougher to support him, and indeed this club, the way things are heading.

Yes, 100% agree.

I think the only decent Jan signing is Dale.

The season is done
I was patient and willing to give him the summer and waited to see for sure if the rumours were true that players aren’t playing for him. Tonight proved it and also proved that we need to look elsewhere unfortunately.

Plenty of people on this forum (myself included) pointed out that John Eustace was a much more sensible appointment, given that he wouldn’t cost us any money in compensation and had been doing well at a Championship club.

He’s now at another Championship club and is doing better than Des is for us despite taking over a struggling side rather than one in second place.

The naive people in charge of this club either were starstruck by the whole ‘City Group’ thing or wanted someone with an Oxford connection for the PR. It clearly wasn’t the best appointment at the time, and has been proven so.
no wins in 5 for Eustace though and 3 points off the relegation zone.

Back
Top Bottom