Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Indeed, I'm a fairly new member on the forum. I can understand why some people have stopped posting and seemingly left.
The name calling and vitriol at times overstep the mark imo.
I can only assume we are all OUFC fans and want what's best for the Club.
We all have differing opinions and angles on how we reach those opinions.
We aren't always going to agree with each other.
A forum is a platform for debate and differing opinions.
I just feel we should respect each other's views and challenge differing opinions in a respectful manner.
Anyway, 4 important matches coming up, let's get behind the lads and hopefully we will grab a playoff place.

If I was Buckingham, I would really relish these next 4 games.

I’m not sure of the details regarding his appointment and what did, should have and didn’t occur in the days and weeks after, but I’m routing for him so much. I’m still not convinced that it will work out for him but we will have a much better idea very soon. Besides, not one of our squad are in the position to down tools or not perform. I get the feeling a few of them tried to deflect their own shortcomings and got found out.

Lastly, it must be very hard for everyone on the playing side at OUFC at the moment. A lot has happened in 18 months.
It’s been a hell of a season and I’m sure manager and players alike are feeling it. Now is the final push. As you say I’m behind Des and all the lads

I do feel a little uncomfortable with this recent pile on that seems to be happening - I’m sure he’ll come out and say he’s got thick skin and it doesn’t bother him etc but it can’t be nice having everyone lay into him and random accounts popping up to abuse him… yes he brings it upon himself to an extent but let’s not forget people’s mental health, we come on here because we all support the same team and while there’s nothing wrong with disagreeing and even criticising other posters when it feels like it’s everyone, all the time, for me it gets a bit much at times.

Thanks. You’re right, my skin is thick and it’s not so much the personal stick I get but more the childish, tiresome and tedious replies. I’ll admit that I’m not entirely blameless, although I do feel I’m responding to a lot of nonsense a lot of the time, rather than instigating it. My biggest failings, to the wider audience, is probably what I consider normal traits - honesty, straight talking and impartiality. I don’t have favourites and I don’t have agendas. If I think Karl Robinson is a good manager, I’ll say it, and if I think Des Buckingham is doing a crap job I’ll say it too. If the roles reverse I have no problem back tracking my views either. A lot on here have interesting views, are a good read and knowledgeable - some nemesis’ of mine, some not. There are about 6 or 7 though who live in a pink, fluffy, Oxford United world, full of pixies and fairies - they can’t handle the mildest criticism and, in turn, their only riposte is to try and belittle rather than engage.

Thanks. You’re right, my skin is thick and it’s not so much the personal stick I get but more the childish, tiresome and tedious replies. I’ll admit that I’m not entirely blameless, although I do feel I’m responding to a lot of nonsense a lot of the time, rather than instigating it. My biggest failings, to the wider audience, is probably what I consider normal traits - honesty, straight talking and impartiality. I don’t have favourites and I don’t have agendas. If I think Karl Robinson is a good manager, I’ll say it, and if I think Des Buckingham is doing a crap job I’ll say it too. If the roles reverse I have no problem back tracking my views either. A lot on here have interesting views, are a good read and knowledgeable - some nemesis’ of mine, some not. There are about 6 or 7 though who live in a pink, fluffy, Oxford United world, full of pixies and fairies - they can’t handle the mildest criticism and, in turn, their only riposte is to try and belittle rather than engage.
Surely any Oxford world would be yellow !! Obviously a Man U fan, cover blown ! 😉
We are here to have different opinions but ultimately to support the team and club , yes calling out poor form etc is part of it but some on here live in a dank, rotting world no doubt red who only see turds or decay rather than shoots of spring flowers poking through.
It's the continuous attacks on the team that annoy people rather than a well thought out comment to discuss.
Not saying you are the one Dick but some do go on ...and on for no obvious benefit.

I do feel a little uncomfortable with this recent pile on that seems to be happening - I’m sure he’ll come out and say he’s got thick skin and it doesn’t bother him etc but it can’t be nice having everyone lay into him and random accounts popping up to abuse him… yes he brings it upon himself to an extent but let’s not forget people’s mental health, we come on here because we all support the same team and while there’s nothing wrong with disagreeing and even criticising other posters when it feels like it’s everyone, all the time, for me it gets a bit much at times.
👏🏼 👏🏼

Doubly uncomfortable, as a regular who reads and contributes to most topics, when you see the amount of hypocrisy in the tone of the messages going his way. His views to some might be ‘ridiculous’ but to him, the opinions of others will be. But the consensus is that he’s the freak and it drives me mad. But it seems that positive views are what earn you the right to speak freely and that actually where you sit on the positive-negative spectrum is actually where you rank in some sort of sad hierarchy.

It’s crap to watch and crap to read and stifles the discussion. I respect that he continues to hold his position even if I don’t agree. I love debate and love getting involved but more and more inclined to silently roll my eyes a lot of the time for reasons above.

👏🏼 👏🏼

Doubly uncomfortable, as a regular who reads and contributes to most topics, when you see the amount of hypocrisy in the tone of the messages going his way. His views to some might be ‘ridiculous’ but to him, the opinions of others will be. But the consensus is that he’s the freak and it drives me mad. But it seems that positive views are what earn you the right to speak freely and that actually where you sit on the positive-negative spectrum is actually where you rank in some sort of sad hierarchy.

It’s crap to watch and crap to read and stifles the discussion. I respect that he continues to hold his position even if I don’t agree. I love debate and love getting involved but more and more inclined to silently roll my eyes a lot of the time for reasons above.
I think that's the point exactly. Disagree agreeably.

(Although I sound a bit preaching when I say that)

👏🏼 👏🏼

And even if @dickwalton1964 doesnt mind and has thick skin (although I'd argue he shouldnt have to have thick skin) it can still have a chilling affect on other (perhaps new) posters and we all lose out on decent debate as a result.

It is better. I said soon after the Bolton game that it could be the most important result of our season.

But what I will say is that a lot of excuses have been made for Des along the way with mixed legitimacy in my view, not least the time it takes to implement style/ideas and so on - needing a pre season to drill it in to the players. I’ve never bought that. If that were true there would be no market for the Allardyce and Warnock of the world. And look at what he’s managed in just 4 games (3 weeks) since Bolton. Through blatant tactical and personnel changes, we’ve made more progress in that time than we did in his entire stint previous to that game. The progress in the team back to front with each game has been stark.

Yes, he’s only pummelled a few down-and-outs but that’s no mean feat when you’ve been walloped like we were. We’ll now see what he’s really learned. Can he adapt next week to the league’s most pacey/dangerous front line? Scary when I doubt there are many slower back lines than ours.

It’s crucial we go in to the summer - top 6 or not - with some good feeling and belief in how we’ve played (not necessarily the results) in these next 4 games. Des does still have a lot to prove and I think that’s the balance to discussion - he’s doing better and it’s right to recognise that but the next 4 games will be much more worthy of high praise if we come through them well.
I agree, I was hoping he would get some traction sooner but after January we actually got worse, now it’s hard to know if it’s down to the players or the manager but in my opinion both are responsible for things being so poor. There comes a time you gotta stop making excuses for both him or the players. However he seems to be getting traction now, which has come in the Nick of time.. Im still (reluctantly) in the des out camp. And it may not be all his fault, I get the sense that players may be don’t respect him as he’s inexperienced domestically.

Last edited:
His style was there to see before the Bolton game, it was the Bolton game however that caused him to finally make some much needed changes as the players let themselves down big time that night.
It now looks like the Bolton game was the turning point, like Cambridge was for Appleton.
I agree with this, he definitely showed some managerial strength and look at the results since. Looking forward to these harder opponents, which is great as I was so pessimistic after Bolton I had written the season, des and the team off.

Last edited:
Every manager at every club has injuries, suspensions etc to deal with. If we were putting youth team players on the bench fair enough but I don't think there have been many, if any, kids on the bench in league games. No excuses.
I agree re the injuries. At the time I cited our problem being injuries but as it turned I think we got worse when the players returned. As I’ve just posted I’m still traumatized by that Bolton game. On the Telly, with a full compliment of players and it was shocking, don’t care how good Bolton are. I honestly thought our season was done along with DB.
I’m now chuffed that we are still in the mix.

Which begs the question - why has it taken 25-30 matches for Des to get his point across?
As I just posted I get the sense that the players don’t have full confidence or respect for him. Now for what reason I’ve no idea, it could be des’ shortcomings or the players.

It was probably the deepest I’ve ever seen us defend - whether that was tiredness, desperation or tactical is hard to know. We definitely sat off Derby though when we went 2-0, it looked like we’d decided not to keep our foot in the gas and go for a 3rd or 4th. I agree the goal on half time was a killer but the writing was on the wall 15-20 minutes before that, we’d stopped attacking and looking for further goals.
I remember this game Dick. Weren’t we threadbare on the bench with no one to bring on? I thought this match was one of our better performances. We almost pulled off a result of some sort when we genuinely had no squad that day.

Last edited:
As I just posted I get the sense that the players don’t have full confidence or respect for him. Now for what reason I’ve no idea, it could be des’ shortcomings or the players.
In the latest interview with Murphy in the mirror, he actually says that it took a bit of time for the players to adjust to the way Des wanted to play due to players being humans and being creatures of habits.

I remember this game Dick. Weren’t we threadbare on the bench with no one to bring on? I thought this match was one of our better performances. We almost pulled off a result of some sort when genuinely had no squad that day.
Alex Gorrin was on the bench for that one (and about 4 other games over that period). And didn't Smyth start at right back?

EDIT...Smyth was unused in that game, mistake, but Goodrham came off at half time for Henry and Mills on 59 for McEachran, meaning we had nothing out wide (which has subsequently become our strongest, most productive attacking threat).
THAT'S how threadbare we were.

Last edited:
This is a refreshing and honest discussion. On the whole Ive really enjoyed this forum since recently joining. I sometimes can’t help a sarky impulsive remark but I like to think it’s in a good spirit!. 😀
I try to remind myself that life’s too short to get too worked up but at the same time we are all human and love our club so passionately that many of us get frustrated and angry. We all react in different ways.

Nothing but respect for the turn around since Bolton. No ifs, no buts. I now see that this is a manager you can get behind, believe in and invest in. At last, I can clearly see what our identity is and like what I see.

If it isn’t to be this season I’ve seen enough in the last few games to think we will be strong(er) next year with investment in what he wants and that’ll do me.

Yes let's get in the play offs and give it a go. But we'll done Des ,let's get the points needed now and then like any lottery you've got to be in it to win it . But an excellent day You deserve the praise Des 👏.

Nothing but respect for the turn around since Bolton. No ifs, no buts. I now see that this is a manager you can get behind, believe in and invest in. At last, I can clearly see what our identity is and like what I see.

If it isn’t to be this season I’ve seen enough in the last few games to think we will be strong(er) next year with investment in what he wants and that’ll do me.
I'm astonished at the turnaround since Bolton. I genuinely thought Buckingham was going to have to go. Really pleased to be proved wrong. If we do get in the playoffs, we'll be the form team. And the form team nearly always gets through the playoffs!

Back
Top Bottom