Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

The thing about Saturday was we set up to counter attack. A transition team. Exactly like when we was at our best in the first 20 games of the season under the 🐍

The thing about Saturday was we set up to counter attack. A transition team. Exactly like when we was at our best in the first 20 games of the season under the 🐍
I know what you, mean....but not exactly like we were set up. I've been banging on about transition for bloody ages now! And as effective as it is from defence to attack, it needs to be equally effective from attack to defence when out of possession

Josh Murphy is now tearing it up on the left AND chipping in with defensive duties, as opposed to expecting our left back to chip in with goals (in fairness, he nearly did on Saturday too). Owen Dale is also tearing it up on the right and as well as chipping in with some essential defensive work. There's also great support from both Goodrham and Rodrigues in that transition too (as opposed to often two at the base of midfield under Manning). In conclusion, we're far more potent, fluid and, dare I say, more enjoyable to watch now under Buckingham than we were back then.

Tomorrow is another huge test for Desball though.

IMO the greatest difference on Saturday was the quality, cohesiveness, persistance and speed of our players pressing their defenders when they had the ball. We didn't have Harris doing it on his own and we didn't start doing it then stop. At times in the second half their defence literally did not know what to do with the ball. So while yes we did counterattack (and very effectively) at times, we also kept the talented Peterborough attacking players quiet for long periods as they could not build from the back.

IMO the greatest difference on Saturday was the quality, cohesiveness, persistance and speed of our players pressing their defenders when they had the ball. We didn't have Harris doing it on his own and we didn't start doing it then stop. At times in the second half their defence literally did not know what to do with the ball. So while yes we did counterattack (and very effectively) at times, we also kept the talented Peterborough attacking players quiet for long periods as they could not build from the back.
Yep, that was very obvious wasn't it?

If I were of a less positive mindset, I might suggest that Boro players were looking a little heavy-legged, which made our just just that bit easier. You still have to execute that job effectively though, and we did it with aplomb.

Agree with all of this, I’m on the right side of the East and the start of each half were such an improvement from a defensive perspective.

In the first - everyone maintaining their shape, RR staying deep as an 8 on the right side to help with their overload, Dale and Stephens in constant conversation about who had which player, everyone putting bodies on the line to get a tackle or block in when needed. Peterborough have an awful lot about them going forwards and could have caused real problems but we rose to the challenge.

In the second, everything had changed as we gained the front foot, but then you could see us forcing Peterborough out to their right side of defence before pressing them. Like an actual plan! At one point their player on the ball had five Oxford players surrounding him, about 18 yards from his own goal. They were good enough to get out of it that time, but they’re the best footballing side in the division and we’d already scored two goals from catching them out in similar situations.

A third point Id add - far fewer long balls and head tennis. Getting Ty and RR on the ball is vital and it allows them to bring Murphy and Dale into play with passes along the ground, which is much more dangerous.
Goodrham is a great no 10 type player. I'm obviously not comparing ability but he reminds me of a David Silva type player, great ball control, bags of energy, low centre of gravity and looks to move it quickly with lots of cute passes. Technically very sound.

Goodrham is a great no 10 type player. I'm obviously not comparing ability but he reminds me of a David Silva type player, great ball control, bags of energy, low centre of gravity and looks to move it quickly with lots of cute passes. Technically very sound.
And had a very good game Saturday. Maybe overshadowed by his midfield partners

Yes, very critical but never unreasonably in my mind. I never expected us to play like we did on Saturday when making those comments. But at no point did we even threaten to play like that or show signs that this was what we were trying to do and you could pick holes in just about everything we did. We were also very mistake-heavy. Everything smacked of a lack of belief, confidence and clear understanding of a strategy.

Fast forward to Saturday and none of that was evident. Everything was crisp and looked rehearsed both on and off the ball. That performance never threatened to break out at Bolton and it shows what can be achieved in a small timeframe - look at the progress made in 5 matches compared with the 30 or so previous. For that reason I still to now feel the points I made were more than legitimate and take none of them back, I’m just pleased to see it change.

Oh don't get me wrong - I think you were right and I wouldn't expect you to backtrack. A lot of people said or thought the same, I know I did.

I was probably a bit clumsy with my wording and I apologise if it looked like I was making a 'see, I told you it would be all ok' post. I wasn't. I always look out for your posts as I think they're balanced and fair, and so the point I was actually making (in a roundabout way) was that it's nice to see you recognise the upturn.

I'm also questioning why the sudden improvement. Perhaps the analyst joining full time is helping fine tune things, along with other appointments (Head of Performance) bearing fruit. Obviously the injury situation has largely improved as well. Nothing has been achieved yet, but from my point of view, the performance on Saturday gives us something to get behind over the summer regardless of which league we will be heading into in August (assuming we don't totally implode over the next 3 games).

Whatever happens at the end of the season, the key thing for me is that we understand why exactly it took so long for Buckingham to really make his mark on things.

My fear going into Saturday was that we would get a drubbing and it would be the final straw for Buckingham. I was apprehensive about that, not because I am wedded to the idea of him being manager, but because it would leave us back in the hands of Tim and Grant to find the next manager. 13 goals scored and 0 conceded, with the biggest victory against an extremely capable side does tell us all something. It's no fluke, so it must have always been there. I think we really do need to hold those 2 to account.

My fear going into Saturday was that we would get a drubbing and it would be the final straw for Buckingham. I was apprehensive about that, not because I am wedded to the idea of him being manager, but because it would leave us back in the hands of Tim and Grant to find the next manager. 13 goals scored and 0 conceded, with the biggest victory against an extremely capable side does tell us all something. It's no fluke, so it must have always been there. I think we really do need to hold those 2 to account.
Mmm. Agree with some of that.
I would think that IF we make the play offs, Grant and Tim will not unreasonably say that they appointed Manning, who kept us up and then clearly improved us. When Manning dropped us in it, then they quickly brought in Des. He had struggled initially , but if we do get intto the play offs, he will have again clearly improved us and we will be in some form going into the play offs.
The key thing will be ensuring that we are ready for next season

Oh don't get me wrong - I think you were right and I wouldn't expect you to backtrack. A lot of people said or thought the same, I know I did.

I was probably a bit clumsy with my wording and I apologise if it looked like I was making a 'see, I told you it would be all ok' post. I wasn't. I always look out for your posts as I think they're balanced and fair, and so the point I was actually making (in a roundabout way) was that it's nice to see you recognise the upturn.

I'm also questioning why the sudden improvement. Perhaps the analyst joining full time is helping fine tune things, along with other appointments (Head of Performance) bearing fruit. Obviously the injury situation has largely improved as well. Nothing has been achieved yet, but from my point of view, the performance on Saturday gives us something to get behind over the summer regardless of which league we will be heading into in August (assuming we don't totally implode over the next 3 games).

Whatever happens at the end of the season, the key thing for me is that we understand why exactly it took so long for Buckingham to really make his mark on things.

Oh don’t worry I didn’t take it like that at all 👍. Sorry might be my phrasing that made you think that 🤣.

I absolutely agree. Unless we bomb out of the race in style from here (thus showing recent form to be merely a flash in the pan) then I’ve seen plenty to think Des has something to him and should be backed in the summer to shape his squad. And furthermore, I actually think what he wants is largely what the fans want - fast, fit, aggressive players who can blow people away. The question remains can he achieve consistency and only time will tell. But Saturday was a big test and particularly with the absences and we handled it in the fashion I would expect from a top team.

My ‘dig’ At Tim yesterday was only a joke but not without meaning so I agree with you. I find he speaks when it’s convenient and now that it appears Des is settling in and turning things around, he’s no need to fear criticism for the rather criminal lack of support on his arrival. They’re far from off the hook as far as I’m concerned.

Mmm. Agree with some of that.
I would think that IF we make the play offs, Grant and Tim will not unreasonably say that they appointed Manning, who kept us up and then clearly improved us. When Manning dropped us in it, then they quickly brought in Des. He had struggled initially , but if we do get intto the play offs, he will have again clearly improved us and we will be in some form going into the play offs.
The key thing will be ensuring that we are ready for next season

But has Grant and Tim got a bit lucky with Buckingham's appointment? It was sort of sold to us all that appointing someone else out of the City Group was for continuity in style and tactics to not rock the boat and keep going as we were, and for a team that were successful in 2nd place that made complete sense. Buckingham said he had a different type of play but nobody could have expected it to be so completely different to Manning's style given the City Group mantra. I would put it to Tim and Grant that what we now have is not what they were probably expecting, at least for this season.

Both styles seem just as effective but for two managers coming from the same stable I am very surprised how different they are. It's a bit of a shame it has taken Buckingham so long to release the shackles and move on from a style that clearly didn't suit him and impose his own style on what is a talented group of players and there have been some shockers on the way. But we might have found it just in time. Appleton had Cambridge away, Robinson had Accrington away, and it would appear Buckingham's Bolton away was the light bulb moment. But credit must go to the players too who have had to adapt to a completely different style in a short space of time and away from what was previously a winning formula, and they now finally appear to be thriving with the switch. There are obvious weaknesses to how we play now but there is a decent chance that the advantages this style brings will more often than not outweigh the negatives. The type of performance we witnessed at Bolton already appears to be impossible to repeat.

And has a very good shot on him as well, generally very accurate.
I said on here last year that I thought his best position would end up being as a 10. It just suits all his attributes.

I know people like to lay deficiency at the door of GF and TW and in some cases correctly but it was a 4 person panel who appointed Des and all in all it was the worry that how could they have got it so wrong when it seemed so right.

yes- and we also have to give TW the chance to improve. It's clearly a very different job than the one he has had before, I felt that the Dub interview showed that he was improving his understanding of the job. Club marketing seems to be getting better too. The video with Beano and others before the Peterborough game as a nice touch i thought and showed someone get the right tone as was the Billy Bodin video

Oh don’t worry I didn’t take it like that at all 👍. Sorry might be my phrasing that made you think that 🤣.
Can I apologise too? I haven't been a part of this conversation and actually think you've both made good points but it feels like all of the the cool kids are apologising at the moment and I want to be bang on trend.

Can I apologise too? I haven't been a part of this conversation and actually think you've both made good points but it feels like all of the the cool kids are apologising at the moment and I want to be bang on trend.
I’ve actually read mine back and notice it reads unintentionally defensive. I’ll learn from this.

I’ve actually read mine back and notice it reads unintentionally defensive. I’ll learn from this.
Now I genuinely feel bad and genuinely want to apologise. You've said and done nowt wrong. You've had an opinion which you have modified as new information has become available. That is what clever people do.

I’m sorry, but I can’t allow that. Apologies.

Interesting that Buckingham was often criticised on here for being "like a PE teacher".

Lincoln appointed Skubala who really was a PE teacher.

Interesting that Buckingham was often criticised on here for being "like a PE teacher".

Lincoln appointed Skubala who really was a PE teacher.
And a few weeks ago people were saying what a great appointment Skubala was compared to Des.
To be fair it is still early. The rest of this s season and next will be interesting

Back
Top Bottom