1st Test Fri 16-20 June 2023 - Edgbaston

Who will win this test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So we are left with the old warhorses plus Robinson and a few overs of Root (who is not a front line Ashes bowler obviously). Something to look at for the next test - and we'll probably need a different spinner.

I said this during the first innings and before the Test, but I thought the Moeen selection was timid - especially so given the hyper-aggressive nature of everything else that this England team does. Yes, the finger issues are clearly hampering him......but 3 wickets for 200 runs at a run rate of ~4 over the course of the Test is absolutely in-line with his previous performances in Ashes series. And nowhere near good enough for your front-line spinner, especially on a pitch that's offering decent turn.

It's got to be Rehan for the second Test. Yes, it's a risk, but he has way, way more upside.

I'm sure that England are planning on rotating the quicks through the series anyhow, but someone with a bit more pace is a must for the second Test as well. Wood, if he's fit. If not, maybe Tongue?

Now we're in a position of needing one more vintage spell from Broad or Anderson after Tea to get out of this......

I know it's heresy, but I don't think Jimmy Anderson has been particularly good in this test. Not only has he not taken wickets, he hasn't been hugely threatening. You are right, we need some proper pace and Rehan Ahmed is a good shout as the spinner.

If my maths is right, that's 30 overs left?

4 wickets.....85 runs.....still all four results possible, I reckon (Aussies may go into blocking mode if one of these two gets out soon......)

Anderson, Broad and Robinson with the new ball v Cummins, Carey and Lyon having a swing!

Anything could happen!

The decision to give Root another over and not take the new ball... Wow what a call.

Too many fielding mistakes cost this. And I still think declaring when we did was too early. But hey ho, a great first test !

Last edited:
Brilliant from Cummins.

A wonderful match. England shouldn’t have given the Aussies a sniff, but that’s just how things are right now with the style of play.

It’s going to be an amazing series.

Some poor fielding (especially behind the stumps), a couple of bits of dodgy decision making (probably should have taken the new ball much sooner after Root got that wicket and oh that declaration) and an unbalanced bowling attack did for us. Good match and fair play to both sides for making it so. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow though!

We don’t lose that if we don’t declare on the first day do we?

Nah - bat out the day and add another 30+ runs and that would have been a draw.

We also lost the final Test in NZ (and therefore drew the series) because we enforced the follow-on and went all out for the win when we could have batted them out of the game.

I know most will love this win at all costs attitude; me, I prefer a bit more pragmatism if it'll win us more of these big series.

Nah - bat out the day and add another 30+ runs and that would have been a draw.

We also lost the final Test in NZ (and therefore drew the series) because we enforced the follow-on and went all out for the win when we could have batted them out of the game.

I know most will love this win at all costs attitude; me, I prefer a bit more pragmatism if it'll win us more of these big series.

I am all for being aggressive but even I thought the declaration was weird, you could see we were just going to have our lead reduced by 25 odd runs.

Back
Top Bottom