General Good things out of Covid-19

I do take both of your points, you can of course pour things like flour and rice. The difference being that you aren't pouring part of one item, as a liquid is, but a collection of discrete small solid items. If you can decant rice, surely you can then decant bricks off a dumper truck, same principle but different scale, but I think we'd all agree that would be the incorrect term.

Snigger. If a liquid was 'one item' you wouldn't be able to pour half of it into one bottle and (most of*) the other half into another without breaking it.

* Of course, you can never pour a whole item (or collection of items) anywhere, check out Achilles and the tortoise; although A & the T isn't the right one (the 'right one' proves you can never get anywhere), it's one of Zeno's mysteries*.

* Sorry for the long post, there are so many pedants on here.....

Isn't the whole point of a decanter to allow the solid sedement to drop to the bottom (both in wine and in science) , allowing you to pour off the uncontaminated liquid from the top? Therefore, you are decanting liquid, not solid.

Isn't the whole point of a decanter to allow the solid sedement to drop to the bottom (both in wine and in science) , allowing you to pour off the uncontaminated liquid from the top? Therefore, you are decanting liquid, not solid.
No, no no no, no. It's too allow the wine to breathe.

I think the primary purpose of a decanter is to hold a liquid. The rest, as they say, is immaterial.

The primary purpose of decanting is another matter: in fact historically two different matters and their separation. (y)

You can be decanted from your broken train to a rail replacement bus service ...

When I am making my homemade wine I rack from one vessel to another, thereby leaving the sediment behind.

So resident YF wordsmiths, what is the difference between racking and decanting wine?:)

one good thing to have come from/out of Covid 19 Lockdown for me..... a very rare record Ive been chasing for 45+ years went up for sale last week, following a negotiation/ haggle , at last I finally own one-, postman just delivered :giggle::giggle::giggle:

one good thing to have come from/out of Covid 19 Lockdown for me..... a very rare record Ive been chasing for 45+ years went up for sale last week, following a negotiation/ haggle , at last I finally own one-, postman just delivered :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Yes, but did you slide the record from its sleeve, or decant it?

Back
Top Bottom