General Happy St George's day!

Oh here come the self loathing lefties :rolleyes:

Yes, whatever, but being of any nationality is an accident of birth for the vast majority. It's like being left-handed, white or heterosexual, you haven't achieved anything, helped anybody or shown valour by being English so why are you proud of it?

Are you proud of being ginger as well?

Yes, whatever, but being of any nationality is an accident of birth for the vast majority. It's like being left-handed, white or heterosexual, you haven't achieved anything, helped anybody or shown valour by being English so why are you proud of it?

I am a nice shade of grey wee fella..

You can't think of a reason to be proud of being English?
Loads!, our sense of humour, our sense of fairplay, our kindness, our friendliness, our culture, the amazing differences we have around the country, our countryside, our spirit when we make a stand against what we don't think is right, our music, our literature, our food, the fact the majority are still proud of this country.

The silent majority, God bless em! 👍

But of course the lefty luvvies don't like anything about this country. :unsure:

This is a strange argument to run on a football forum, where the only thing binding us is a form of pride in the achievements of Oxford United! It's not exactly like we've achieved anything as Oxford United fans, either personally or vicariously!

This is a strange argument to run on a football forum, where the only thing binding us is a form of pride in the achievements of Oxford United! It's not exactly like we've achieved anything as Oxford United fans, either personally or vicariously!
Speak for yourself, I'm utterly convinced the only reason we won 3-2 at Filbert Street in the 1990s thanks to a late Alex Dyer goal was because of the vocal effort made by myself and about 800 other Oxford fans that day which helped us over the line after conceding an 86th minute equaliser. That's an achievement all of us there that day can be proud of.

Speak for yourself, I'm utterly convinced the only reason we won 3-2 at Filbert Street in the 1990s thanks to a late Alex Dyer goal was because of the vocal effort made by myself and about 800 other Oxford fans that day which helped us over the line after conceding an 86th minute equaliser. That's an achievement all of us there that day can be proud of.
I was there that night, what a great memory!

It's not an argument. It's a question. And I didn't make the statement I was questioning.

You can't think of a reason to be proud of being English?

We give the Scottish, Welsh and Irish someone to hate, something to focus their own intense self loathing on, if we didn’t exist they would have to invent us.

That and scampi fries.

We give the Scottish, Welsh and Irish someone to hate, something to focus their own intense self loathing on, if we didn’t exist they would have to invent us.

That and scampi fries.
For me it's the railway. We did a bloody good railway.

And sometimes its funny thinking about the time we went on a jolly to beat Argentina in the Falklands, seemingly for the pure banter value alone.

Ah yes, the annual Ox4Eva St. George's Day post.

I think, to keep up with tradition, I must reply as I usually do and question why we decide to celebrate our Englishness by venerating a Turkish guy who (probably) lived 1700 years ago, who definitely never set foot in England, and who is also the patron saint of Georgia, Aragon, Catalonia, Portugal and Corinthians football club (amongst others)?

Reinstate St. Edmund!

Ah yes, the annual Ox4Eva St. George's Day post.

I think, to keep up with tradition, I must reply as I usually do and question why we decide to celebrate our Englishness by venerating a Turkish guy who (probably) lived 1700 years ago, who definitely never set foot in England, and who is also the patron saint of Georgia, Aragon, Catalonia, Portugal and Corinthians football club (amongst others)?

Reinstate St. Edmund!

I think I always reply that was Greek not Turkish?

Back
Top Bottom