Is OUSP Fit For Purpose?

Is OUSP Fit For Purpose

• Yes

• No

• Unsure/Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's literally in the post I responded to. OxVox represent their members. OUSP represent all supporters regardless of membership. So arguably the suggestions being made would be less representative then we currently have.
It wouldn't really disband from an operational point would it? The same people would be doing the same work at the same meetings, only representing our supporters trust which carries far more weight and puts more pressure on the club at the meetings. Is there any reason you're against doing this for OxVox?

Because it would likely need to be disbanded in its current form to then reform under OxVox.

I do find it odd that OUSP members former and present get so defensive on the topic, it’s as if there’s a hidden agenda.

Supporters literally want you to do the same thing, just with less influence from OUFC
I’ll be honest and say I don’t find it odd. People have probably volunteered in good faith and take pride feeling they’re doing something positive that benefits others.

Being told that you’re potentially harming those you want to help, or that people think you should stop doing it or change how you do it, would make plenty of people defensive without there needing to be a hidden agenda.

Said as someone who would resign from OUSP if I was on it following the latest comments from Tim and Adam.

But I will not be tending my resignation from OUSP and will not be looking at disbanding it.
I think you missed my point 🙄

On your wider view, less votes means people don’t care enough to vote, so it could easily be suggested that your average fan doesn’t care if you do the work under an OxVox Supporters Panel or OUSP

I seem to remember you making the same argument regarding the parish vote on the stadium, so assume you can see the logic

I’ll be honest and say I don’t find it odd. People have probably volunteered in good faith and take pride feeling they’re doing something positive that benefits others.

Being told that you’re potentially harming those you want to help, or that people think you should stop doing it or change how you do it, would make plenty of people defensive without there needing to be a hidden agenda.

Said as someone who would resign from OUSP if I was on it following the latest comments from Tim and Adam.
That would be a very strange view to take seeing as everyone has said how much they appreciate the work they do and would like them to continue, just under a different method which should provide them more independence

That would be a very strange view to take seeing as everyone has said how much they appreciate the work they do and would like them to continue, just under a different method which should provide them more independence

That’s not true. Go back to the last page to see accusations of a moral superiority complex, sycophantic behaviour, and virtue signalling.

Saying you appreciate someone before telling them to f**k off is the oldest debating trick in the book. And I say that as someone who really appreciates the moderating work you do around here.

That’s not true. Go back to the last page to see accusations of a moral superiority complex, sycophantic behaviour, and virtue signalling.

Saying you appreciate someone before telling them to f**k off is the oldest debating trick in the book. And I say that as someone who really appreciates the moderating work you do around here.
I’m certainly not telling them to f**k off, and I’d hope nobody else would

There is a genuine concern about the amount of influence the club has over supporter engagement, that’s why I think a lot of us feel so strongly about trying to counter that, CAB in my view will be another nail in the coffin in its current form, thankfully OxVox are attempting to push back

OUFC are trying to sideline the likes of OxVox in my view

There is a genuine concern about the amount of influence the club has over supporter engagement, that’s why I think a lot of us feel so strongly about trying to counter that, CAB in my view will be another nail in the coffin in its current form, thankfully OxVox are attempting to push back

I agree with the concern, my first post said I wouldn’t be part of OUSP.

I don’t find it strange that someone who volunteers with OUSP would defend their decision to do so.

I don’t see ScotchEgg getting any more defensive about how he spent the time he has given up volunteering than you are about a statement I disagreed with.

OUFC are trying to sideline the likes of OxVox in my view.

This is already being done, with the help of certain egotistical supporters.

Because it would likely need to be disbanded in its current form to then reform under OxVox.

I do find it odd that OUSP members former and present get so defensive on the topic, it’s as if there’s a hidden agenda.

Supporters literally want you to do the same thing, just with less influence from OUFC

There will be FAB elections shortly.

One voice is what is required, to represent the supporters and challenge the football club's Senior Management.

Jesus, it's hard enough getting meetings with them as it is, never mind having two separate groups trying to get their attention. I'm surprised people can't see that by having a set up like it is currently, will likely dilute the content of the meetings. To that end, the latest OUSP minutes were wishy washy and little of note appeared to get decided upon.

OxVox gets my vote every day of the week.

NB: I'm appreciative of the work of OUSP but it doesn't need to be a separate body to OxVox. A collaboration of the two, with OxVox the major player, would be perfect.

One voice is what is required, to represent the supporters and challenge the football club's Senior Management.

Jesus, it's hard enough getting meetings with them as it is, never mind having two separate groups trying to get their attention. I'm surprised people can't see that by having a set up like it is currently, will likely dilute the content of the meetings. To that end, the latest OUSP minutes were wishy washy and little of note appeared to get decided upon.

OxVox gets my vote every day of the week.

NB: I'm appreciative of the work of OUSP but it doesn't need to be a separate body to OxVox. A collaboration of the two, with OxVox the major player, would be perfect.
Unfortunately, unless current OUSP reps (and OxVox of course) all agree, nothing will change, and that seems unlikely

Oh yeah? How’s that going to work, I wonder? Will people need to campaign as though it’s an election? Will they be required to present a manifesto of issues that they believe are most pressing, in order to separate themselves from anyone else in the running? What’s the voting mechanism? Can literally anybody vote, even if they’ve never been to a game in their life and have no interest in the sport, but happen to know someone who is standing?

Personally, I think it’s only fair that this is done in the form of a Royal Rumble, with the final four left in the ring automatically gaining a spot alongside the supposed OxVox and OUSP slots. The final four then continue until only one remains, who receives the title of Head Milk Monitor and a lovely sash.

It's important to recognise that this forum only represents a part of the wider fanbase and even within this, and the strength of feeling that some have, we have only had 14 forum members say that they do not feel that OUSP is fit for purpose.

I know of numerous fans who have valued the work that OUSP have done and continue to do. So I think talk of disbanding is somewhat premature and not necessarily representative of the entire supporters group.

Equally, it is worth remembering that the introduction of OUSP was done with the support of OxVox, and a representative of OxVox attends every meeting. I am not aware of OxVox raising any concerns about OUSP diluting their work, in fact, there are times when the two groups have actively worked together to achieve more than could have been achieved separately. You may not agree, and that's fine. All views are important.

But I will not be tending my resignation from OUSP and will not be looking at disbanding it.
I’m convinced the majority of fans would want the OUSP panel to be part of OxVox and not separate from it.

I’m glad a couple of posters have highlighted that the majority of fans are grateful for the efforts of volunteers like yourself because I can imagine being involved in OxVox / OUSP can be a thankless task.

I’m also sure the majority of fans are probably against the future fan engagement model recently proposed by the FSA (I think) and highlighted by Adam Benson. So one ‘independent’ voice respectfully challenging & supporting the club (where appropriate) is what I’d prefer.

By ‘independent’ I mean that I don’t think the club should be involved in even the administration of any supporter representatives joining a panel (let alone be involved in selection of which I believe may be part of the future plans).

**EDIT - I've just read the Oxvox update, excellent update**

Last edited:
Oh yeah? How’s that going to work, I wonder? Will people need to campaign as though it’s an election? Will they be required to present a manifesto of issues that they believe are most pressing, in order to separate themselves from anyone else in the running? What’s the voting mechanism? Can literally anybody vote, even if they’ve never been to a game in their life and have no interest in the sport, but happen to know someone who is standing?

Personally, I think it’s only fair that this is done in the form of a Royal Rumble, with the final four left in the ring automatically gaining a spot alongside the supposed OxVox and OUSP slots. The final four then continue until only one remains, who receives the title of Head Milk Monitor and a lovely sash.

What do you think the hidden agenda is?

What do you think the hidden agenda is?

Respectfully, i think your time would be better served discussing the possibility of a joint venture alongside OxVox, with your OUSP colleagues, rather than looking to be defensive and confrontational (as that is how this post and a couple of other on this thread comes across).

There are a number of people that are posting their opinions on this, simply because we care about our football club. As a stakeholder that currently has a voice, it would be really great if you could represent us without the sniping and get OUSP into a position where it can work WITH OxVox to make a collective and independent difference to the engagement and ongoing relations between OUFC and it's number one stakeholder, the supporters.

One body that works for the betterment of all supporters, as one, would be a movement that all supporters, regardless of OxVox membership could really get behind. It is clear that the club hold the supporters opinions in the lowest regard (see latest OxVox notes) and support in numbers for one group, that is fighting back would be hugely well supported, of that i have no doubt.

There are many battles to be had with the Senior Management, probably best saving energy for those, rather than going after supporters who just have genuine concern for how a small supporters panel is perceived by the decision makers at the club.

Respectfully, i think your time would be better served discussing the possibility of a joint venture alongside OxVox, with your OUSP colleagues, rather than looking to be defensive and confrontational (as that is how this post and a couple of other on this thread comes across).

There are a number of people that are posting their opinions on this, simply because we care about our football club. As a stakeholder that currently has a voice, it would be really great if you could represent us without the sniping and get OUSP into a position where it can work WITH OxVox to make a collective and independent difference to the engagement and ongoing relations between OUFC and it's number one stakeholder, the supporters.

One body that works for the betterment of all supporters, as one, would be a movement that all supporters, regardless of OxVox membership could really get behind. It is clear that the club hold the supporters opinions in the lowest regard (see latest OxVox notes) and support in numbers for one group, that is fighting back would be hugely well supported, of that i have no doubt.

There are many battles to be had with the Senior Management, probably best saving energy for those, rather than going after supporters who just have genuine concern for how a small supporters panel is perceived by the decision makers at the club.

With respect it is neither I, or OUSP that is putting any barriers between OxVox and the club. Its the exact opposite with us all working together to try to resolve some of these key issues, including looking at alternative measures to address fan engagement and CAB/FAB.

It's interesting that you see my posts as confrontational, but not others who post that I and others have a hidden agenda or make personal remarks. Recently there was a regular poster who called the female secretary of OUSP, and a lifelong fan, a "bitch" on this forum. Thankfully that was deleted but there have been numerous other comments that are unnecessary when talking about other fans who are trying to make things better for others.

You're right about the bigger battles, and as a life member of OxVox I would always encourage everyone to join them to give them an even greater voice. I have always supported OxVox and will happily work with them to hold the board to account and ensure that we get the stadium that we so desperately need. I wouldn't do anything that puts the future of our club in doubt, and would never be part of a group that did that.

But I honestly don't see that as OUSP. These are just a handful of people who try to enhance the experiences of every fan, and to ensure that all supporters have a voice on match day issues. If we can also assist in leafleting about the stadium or meet with council representatives too, then that's all bonus stuff.

I understand that there will always be those that have different views, and some that were opposed to OUSP at the outset, and more so now. I also understand the frustrations regarding communication, fans forums, marketing and a general disregard for the fanbase from key figures at the club. OUSP have shared the exact same concerns openly within our minutes and directly with club representatives. In 99% of this we are all on exactly the same page.

But I honestly don't understand the hostility towards a handful of fans who give up their time for the benefit of others. And when I see that, I'll not apologise for defending them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom