International News Israel Palestine conflict

I love that in your mind "understanding the concepts of international law" means you can't be lacking in compassion and empathy. You're wasted here - you should be following your calling in the International Court of Justice as you've certainly put us all in our place with your superior reasoning and intellect. I guess it's also good that any criticism of Israel is couched in terms of you not agreeing with everything that goes on in the West Bank!

We are talking about actual people here - including the deaths of thousands and thousands of non-combatants.
I didn't realise merely reciting international law would cause such a stir. If people are going to make claims of 'war crimes' it's important they understand what that actually means. Some on this thread suggest civilian deaths = war crime, or civilian building bombed = war crime. It doesn't.

In every post I make I could exclaim my sympathy for those civilians caught up in it all, but that goes without saying. Unless this thread was made to just talk about how upset we are, then it's something that doesn't need to be said - it's a given.

I'm definitely changing as I grow older when I find myself increasingly agreeing with Ron!

You're a young guy and clearly intelligent, so don't think I'm trying to lecture you because I'm not at all.

But legal =/= ethical. Companies finding loopholes to avoid hundreds of millions in tax is legal but morally wrong.
I've been responding to the claims of war crimes, in which legality is the whole premise.

As I've said, ethics in war and normal life are not at all comparable. This is reflected by international law. War is inherently violent. In legal terms and ethics, violence is accepted in war.

WW2 was horrendous, but was a necessary short term sacrifice for the safety and security of the nation and to prevent suffering in the long term. We mourn the innocent lives lost but we accept that it was, albeit unfortunately, necessary at the time.

Ask me if some bloke planting a bomb in a residential building just because is acceptable, I'd obviously say no. Ask me if bombing a residential building in the midst of the war for a military purpose with the aim of protecting the security of your country long term is acceptable, I'd say it depends on the specifics but generally yes. It's different.

Not all young people, just you. You haven't demonstrated a single independent thought across numerous threads and have admitted to getting your news from Google and social media.

Opinions I can tolerate. Ignorance I can't.
Does anyone have an 'independent thought'? Any thought you have is probably shared by millions of people, does that make it invalid?

You just come across as a bitter old man who's upset because a whippersnapper disagrees with your fragile opinion. 👴

Does anyone have an 'independent thought'? Any thought you have is probably shared by millions of people, does that make it invalid?

You just come across as a bitter old man who's upset because a whippersnapper disagrees with your fragile opinion. 👴
Well thank god you've taken the moral high ground and aren't sniping back.

Jesus wept won't you both pack it in

then ignore him. The superior attitude doesn't help your cause (any of them) and it clearly doesn't do your old man blood pressure much good either

You don't address ignorance by ignoring it.

There are several posters I disagree with across numerous threads, but I listen to and learn from them. However, Mustard has appeared to alienate pretty much everyone due to having views with are deeply offensive when talking about the death of thousands of innocent women and children.

However, Mustard is only repeating the views of others through social media and therefore debate is impossible.

So I won't engage in discussion, but I will call out ignorance where it deserves.

And thanks for showing concern, but my blood pressure is excellent for someone of my age!

Israel chatting s**t and getting banged.
Probably fairer to say Netanyahu/the Israeli government than Israel. Although the whole place would suffer the consequences. The distinctions are everything in this war.

Probably fairer to say Netanyahu/the Israeli government than Israel. Although the whole place would suffer the consequences. The distinctions are everything in this war.
I wonder how well supported Netanyahu is in the country. I know there have been protests recently, but they are against the hostage situation and not him as a leader.

People on X saying Biden has not done anything to stop this escalating, what has he done to suggest that??

I wonder how well supported Netanyahu is in the country. I know there have been protests recently, but they are against the hostage situation and not him as a leader.
There have protests both against him as a leader as well as the hostage situation. He is very unpopular with the Israeli public, he has been scoring poorly in opinion polls.

'UK jets will intercept airborne attacks within range of existing missions, says Ministry of Defence'

Sunak's Falklands?

So most drones and missiles were shot down and Iran say the situation is over. This was just a provocation, they are now waiting for Israel to respond then can have a full on war!

'UK jets will intercept airborne attacks within range of existing missions, says Ministry of Defence'

Sunak's Falklands?

If he does his next interview with the sambas and stone island then I think we will know it’s war.

Escalated big time, Iran has deployed 70+ drones towards Israel, cruise missiles will be airborne to arrive at the same time as the drones, too much for Israel to defend.

WW3 is here?

Iron Dome sorted that - its Iran that really want to hope Israel don`t strike back.

Sunak's Falklands?

Simple enough and as explained - we aren`t sending a task force to liberate a British Territory.

I`m just surprised that Iran went direct rather than using one of many proxies.

Going to get a lot worse out there before it gets any better.

And an awful lot of innocent civilians will die.

Iron Dome sorted that - its Iran that really want to hope Israel don`t strike back.

Simple enough and as explained - we aren`t sending a task force to liberate a British Territory.

I`m just surprised that Iran went direct rather than using one of many proxies.

Going to get a lot worse out there before it gets any better.

And an awful lot of innocent civilians will die.

And the UK and US.

I hope the US tell Israel to very, very firmly step back and not escalate as Israel caused this Iranian response with a direct attack on the Iranian Consulate in Syria. Iran then attack directly back, pretty much unsuccessfully* though for all the bluster afterwards domestically by Iran. I appreciate that Iran supports Hamas and Hezbollah but then Israel have been hitting indirect Iranian targets in Syria over years.

*Hopefully the little girl in critical care recovers fully.

Iran launched an attack knowing that it wouldn't have any great success but just to be seen to strike back. It was a "don't take the P**s" statement to Israel and the West. There are far softer targets than Tel Aviv, and far more effective ways that the Iranian regime could strike if they really wanted to.

As @Marked Ox has said, now is a time for everyone to take a step back and calm the situation. It's in no one's interest to see this escalate and Israel needs to remember that Western support isn't unconditional.

I think that rather than making things worse, this might well be the drawing of a line in the sand that enables everyone to find a way forward without losing too much face. Or at least, I hope it does as the alternatives are pretty horrendous.

• React
Reactions: m
Iran launched an attack knowing that it wouldn't have any great success but just to be seen to strike back. It was a "don't take the P**s" statement to Israel and the West. There are far softer targets than Tel Aviv, and far more effective ways that the Iranian regime could strike if they really wanted to.

As @Marked Ox has said, now is a time for everyone to take a step back and calm the situation. It's in no one's interest to see this escalate and Israel needs to remember that Western support isn't unconditional.

I think that rather than making things worse, this might well be the drawing of a line in the sand that enables everyone to find a way forward without losing too much face. Or at least, I hope it does as the alternatives are pretty horrendous.

My main concern is that Netanyahu needs this conflict to continue to survive, and I could easily see him putting his interests first. His Govt Ministers aren't any better and some want an escalation. So the US really need to step up, at the least, privately.