General Ivy Pass

I'm delighted to say that I'm not so deep in my dotage that I need to collect 'digital cards' to remember a football match.

It’s a one game thing and extra income for the club, it’s really not as deep as some like to make it out to be.

So a supporter scans the QR code, Ivy Pass harvest their data and target them with any kind of advert (eg: crypto scam) and some people think they are "doing the right thing for the Club" and sign up and get scammed/robbed?

The Club can't even explain, in plain English, exactly what it is and just repost the corporate BS Ivy Pass provide on their website.

Some cynics might actually have valid concerns about that............ 🤷‍♂️

So a supporter scans the QR code, Ivy Pass harvest their data and target them with any kind of advert (eg: crypto scam) and some people think they are "doing the right thing for the Club" and sign up and get scammed/robbed?

The Club can't even explain, in plain English, exactly what it is and just repost the corporate BS Ivy Pass provide on their website.

That is a very fair point and one that I didn’t think of.

A cynic writes:

Steady, tiger. While it's true that QR can link to code or apps that strip data (c.f. North Yorkshire railway car park scams) that's not something a reputable public company is going to do, even one that shills for Rod Stewart. The ad states that no data is collected till the customer (sorry) collects 4 cards and enters the competition, this statement is enforceable iirc.

What's done with the data that is collected is the question, in particular you should find out what is explicitly stated to not be done with data collected by the app / club because any other use of data is fair game. There should be a contractual statement on the competition entry form, read it.

Have done some more digging on this. Its not an NFT/crypto thing in the way we've seen before. So I take back the term 'crypto-scammers' in the post above. It actually appears to be a new kind of data harvesting and tracking tech. This is my professional area so will have a stab at a plain English explanation this weekend. Does look like oufc are a *very* early adopter of this tech.

In the meantime I won't be going anywhere near this. Based on what I can see the risks (at the moment) aren't massively higher than other digital marketing dark arts but all very murky.

For anyone curious try a Google search for 'ivy pass' and ask yourself the question 'if my club partners with a tech company and the top five search results on their brand name are for my team not them who is being played here?'

Stay vigilant, don't be complacent

Last edited:
A cynic writes:

Steady, tiger. While it's true that QR can link to code or apps that strip data (c.f. North Yorkshire railway car park scams) that's not something a reputable public company is going to do, even one that shills for Rod Stewart. The ad states that no data is collected till the customer (sorry) collects 4 cards and enters the competition, this statement is enforceable iirc.

What's done with the data that is collected is the question, in particular you should find out what is explicitly stated to not be done with data collected by the app / club because any other use of data is fair game. There should be a contractual statement on the competition entry form, read it.
It's a bit more complicated than that Paul. I'll write more when have headspace at weekend

Yep, one game and for the TV cameras. Take the money (if any) and move on.
If it is just for one game then the only possible reason I can see is that Ivy Pass are using it (and therefore us) as a brand/reputation wheeze when flogging their 'services' to others. Won't keep ranting on this but these kinds of things say a lot about the ethos and culture of a club.

If it is just for one game then the only possible reason I can see is that Ivy Pass are using it (and therefore us) as a brand/reputation wheeze when flogging their 'services' to others. Won't keep ranting on this but these kinds of things say a lot about the ethos and culture of a club.
We have done this before for TV games.

For anyone curious try a Google search for 'ivy pass' and ask yourself the question 'if my club partners with a tech company and the top five search results on their brand name are for my team not them who is being played here?'

The only 'adopter' I could find was the Ivy Group of restaurants who look like investor adopters.

I'll be interested to see your comments, I haven't been following this sort of tech for quite a few years now (y)

Have done some more digging on this. Its not an NFT/crypto thing in the way we've seen before. So I take back the term 'crypto-scammers' in the post above. It actually appears to be a new kind of data harvesting and tracking tech. This is my professional area so will have a stab at a plain English explanation this weekend. Does look like oufc are a *very* early adopter of this tech.

In the meantime I won't be going anywhere near this. Based on what I can see the risks (at the moment) aren't massively higher than other digital marketing dark arts but all very murky.

Good advice there. I'm staying as far away as possible.

Well I'm just relieved not to read that an 88-year old supporter of 63+ years hasn't shuffled this mortal coil.

Data harvesting is a little 'strong'. It will know where you have scanned a QR code for a "check-in" but little more. It is kind of like a supermarket loyalty card, but less so because it doesn't know what you buy. Google Wallet and Apple Pay don't need GPS location permissions to operate, so it won't be able to track you further than which QR code you scan (ie the Ox QR code on the Ox statue tonight), and TBH as there is a competition element for those that scan all 4 I would imagine images of the codes will be shared by people on social media so you won't even have had to be there.
It is a more common thing in US sports (the idea in general not this particular service) where for example MLB has an app that gets you to check into the stadia you visit.

I actually think the club have done supporters a favour by giving such a poor explanation - a better breakdown may have encouraged more people to sign up and get scammed.

It's a Tim Williams masterclass

Back
Top Bottom