Ex Player #11 Joey Beauchamp RIP

but the circumstances (which aren't for a football forum) were riddled with mystery and the inquest and whole sorry saga was ongoing in the local press and it forced us to uproot and move away from the immediate area.
With respect, doesn't this just prove how damaging and unsettling it can be when the media publish too much information about these kinds of things, simply to pander to the general public's curiosity?

Unfortunately it sells papers, and thats why they publish it. I just want to remember the smiling happy Joey scoring great goals for my team.
I can remember when I contacted Oxford re the boys team that I ran presentation night, and they sent David Fogg and a very young Joey, who Foggy introduced .
A lovely lad. Forever young Joey

That's fair enough. However, would you read an article that gave more depth into the circumstances surrounding Joey taking his own life ? This is perhaps where there's an imbalance between hypocrisy and curiosity.
There's a big difference between reading an article, pre approved by the families, about the things that were going on in someone's life, that would make them feel so bad, and then reading a random article about the specifics of what happened on the awful day they finally decided to take their own life.

The former is a way of trying to understand, and sympathise with the poor fellow, and their loved ones, and could even be helpful for those who are struggling to come to terms with the situation.
The latter is unnecessary information, that nothing positive can come from knowing, and can actually be very disturbing to know, and upsetting for loved ones to have to know such information is suddenly public knowledge.

I knew of all the problems my friends had, in the years leading up to their tragic suicides, and I feel honoured that they felt they were able to share things with me, I just wish I could've done more to help them. But it's information that helped me understand and sympathise with them, and meant I was able to talk to others, to help them understand as well.

But my god, I wish I didn't know the specific circumstances surrounding their actual suicides, as it still upsets me to this day, particularly one of them, which was absolutely awful, and it's that kind of information that nobody but the very closest people to that person needs to know, and as per the wishes of their families, it's information I have never spoke about, and never will.

Sadly, a lot of media outlets see these kinds of things as a story to sell, as opposed to someone's privacy to respect.

Personally, I think saying someone “took their own life” is sufficient detail.

But how someone took their own life is of absolutely no consequence to us. Not sure exactly what we are expected to get out of that sort of knowledge?

Bottom line is that someone had reached such depths of desperation to do this. We really don’t need to know how.

I don’t even like the word suicide if i’m honest.

Personally I think it was just disrespectful the way the news papers reported how he died it's nobody business all its going to do is cause more stress for his young daughters and family

As always, an interesting set of views on here.

By no means am I a supporter of the salacious and headline grabbing aspects of our media, but
before all this, I would have seen no harm in putting a simple confirmation of cause of death (ie suicide) and perhaps method (eg hanging, overdose etc) in reporting of the inquest.

However the figures regarding ' copycat' increases are interesting and eye-opening and so I can see the case for the use of euphomisms such as ' no suspicious circumstances' if that does actually make a difference.

On the other side of the coin, I would be equally interested to see what impact such a case as this, and the confirmation that it was suicide, has in terms of awareness, intervention and prevention on other potential situations.

Places for potential cases to turn to, the push/encouragement to do so before it gets too far, a realisation of what might happen if you don't and the impact it has on those around you who you perhaps 'think would be better off without you' ....

....and also awareness of the telltale signs someone you know is leaning this way, how to address this with them, where to go to get support for someone, both for friends, family and employers.

For instance, what was the overall impact of the Gary speed case and the coverage and documentaries that received?

Personally, I think saying someone “took their own life” is sufficient detail.

But how someone took their own life is of absolutely no consequence to us. Not sure exactly what we are expected to get out of that sort of knowledge?

Bottom line is that someone had reached such depths of desperation to do this. We really don’t need to know how.

I don’t even like the word suicide if i’m honest.
Exactly. Couldn’t agree more.

I've always disliked euphemisms like took their own life of did away with themselves. I don't think we need to know methods, but saying he killed himself or committed suicide seems sufficient. And i suppose it has us talking about depression in a more tangible way.

Although of course we don't know if he was depressed.

I've always disliked euphemisms like took their own life of did away with themselves. I don't think we need to know methods, but saying he killed himself or committed suicide seems sufficient. And i suppose it has us talking about depression in a more tangible way.

Although of course we don't know if he was depressed.

This is the guidance from the Samaritans. I would follow their expertise, personally.

5f9163cae261e1743ab72463cb5d79ea.jpg

Joey trust fund and funeral details announced ....

Thanks Sarge.

I hope that those who can will be able to support the Trust fund for Joey’s daughters.

They were incredibly brave to join us for the Cambridge game tributes.

I’m sure many of us, for whom their father brought great joy over many, many years, would want to see that his family is supported in the years to come.

Looks like donations to this fund have been slow so far, which is a shame. The flag/display was a great gesture but I'm sure giving to this will mean just as much, if not more, to Joey's family.

I think had people been aware that something like this was going to be set up they may have split their donations between this and Mind.

I think had people been aware that something like this was going to be set up they may have split their donations between this and Mind.
I'm sure that's the case. But the target of £10,000 that's been set for the trust fund is a relatively modest one and it is disappointing that at time of writing only 24 supporters have contributed. I do of course realise that people's incomes are being squeezed at the moment and also that there are so many other good causes deserving of donations.

I'm sure that's the case. But the target of £10,000 that's been set for the trust fund is a relatively modest one and it is disappointing that at time of writing only 24 supporters have contributed. I do of course realise that people's incomes are being squeezed at the moment and also that there are so many other good causes deserving of donations.

Agreed. If we can promote this across the forum, social media, etc. It would be good if they could a memorial match as well.

Also, the funeral is on the 24th, am already hearing a lot of people are planning to attend or line the streets in Kidlington.

Here's the link to details of Joey's funeral tomorrow and the Trust Fund. The family would like to see many fans there, and have given the route. Please don't stay away to make space for someone else, if you are able to go and wish to pay your respects please do so. The service will be relayed to an overflow area.
The crowdfunder for his family currently has raised £2000. Please fellow supporters, if you can give a fiver or fifty quid for his family, please do so.

Here's the link to details of Joey's funeral tomorrow and the Trust Fund. The family would like to see many fans there, and have given the route. Please don't stay away to make space for someone else, if you are able to go and wish to pay your respects please do so. The service will be relayed to an overflow area.
The crowdfunder for his family currently has raised £2000. Please fellow supporters, if you can give a fiver or fifty quid for his family, please do so.
Here's the direct link to the fundraiser. Would be lovely between us to hit the target by the time of the funeral.

Back
Top Bottom