Labour Split

Three Tories now gone to join the Indie group. Even those expensive DUP votes don’t really mean much now.

Three Tories now gone to join the Indie group. Even those expensive DUP votes don’t really mean much now.
Total of 11 splitters so far .... maybe the splitters are looking for government funding? .... dup style 'funding' ?

Interestingly 7 out of 11 of the new Independent group are women, compare that to women in Parliament which is around a third.

Have I missed one? I've heard 7 Labour and 3 Tory MPs gave defected. Who's the 11th?

From the BBC website Pete. You must have missed the news when you were stood on the terracing at Accrington getting soaking wet.;)

Joan Ryan has become the eighth Labour MP to quit the party in the past 48 hours, citing its tolerance of a "culture of anti-Jewish racism".

The Enfield North MP said she was "horrified, appalled and angered" by Labour's failure to tackle anti-Semitism, saying its leadership allowed "Jews to be abused with impunity".

Ms Ryan said she did not believe Jeremy Corbyn was fit to lead the country.

Anna Soubry looked quite relieved today, the best she has looked in a long time. Whatever I think of her, she's had the look of someone who wasn't dealing with the stress from the moment of the vote she so vocally hated. If she has peace now, good on her.

As for the Brexit deal vote, the 3 Tories were never going to vote for any deal that means we leave, but they knew that already. It's all down to what the open warfare in the Labour party gives the Govt. My sense is a lot.

This speech has been doing the rounds on social media the last couple of days with Derek Hatton now welcomed back with open arms into the Labour ranks.

1985 Labour Party Conference, I remember it well. What ever you think of Kinnock (and I’m no particular fan) at the time this was a brave speech, facing down militant and the far left.
Goodness.
Inviting Derek Hatton back. I hate to think about it but Labour under Corbyn could win the next election.
Come on a new way forward with a more middle ground party.

Here's a thought. Anna Soubry is very keen for a 2nd referendum on Brexit as we, the people, didn't have the full view of what we were voting on at the time.

So, do her constituents therefore not have the same rights on her representing them in Parliament? The constituents voted for her as a Conservative party candidate on that manifesto, and she has materially changed her mind and party since. Time for a by election Anna!

Here's a thought. Anna Soubry is very keen for a 2nd referendum on Brexit as we, the people, didn't have the full view of what we were voting on at the time.

So, do her constituents therefore not have the same rights on her representing them in Parliament? The constituents voted for her as a Conservative party candidate on that manifesto, and she has materially changed her mind and party since. Time for a by election Anna!

Therefore you support a people's vote then using that logic?

Therefore you support a people's vote then using that logic?
I'm just following Soubry's logic and precedents - something Anna has gone on and on and on and on and on about in recent months! I actually don't give a toss if there is a by election or not, just laughing at the potential 2nd vote Remainer logic flaw. :D

Waiting for the Lib Dems to split now. All 0.5 of them.
the Dems part of lib dems is a leftover from the last time there were a bunch of splitters in the house of commons ...Social Democrat Party (SDP ...gang of four and all that) .... eventually merged with the Liberals to become Liberal Democrats , aka Lib Dems... current 11 splitters may well end up eventually being absorbed by/ merging with Lib Dems, who in political terms tend to be centre-left leaning

Shirley there’s a huge gulf between criticising Israel and being anti-Semitic. Like criticising the Kingdom and being anti-Muslim.
Totally agree with that. Basically anyone who is anti-Zionist is branded as anti-Semitic, including many Jews.
Having said that, the current Labour leadership has handled this badly and not shown much sensitivity.

Totally agree with that. Basically anyone who is anti-Zionist is branded as anti-Semitic, including many Jews.
Having said that, the current Labour leadership has handled this badly and not shown much sensitivity.

No doubt about that

Shirley there’s a huge gulf between criticising Israel and being anti-Semitic. Like criticising the Kingdom and being anti-Muslim.
I suspect it's a convenient excuse to remove him from the mix. A soft power struggle in the Labour party, if you will, over one of the more effervescent characters that they could have let in.

I suspect it's a convenient excuse to remove him from the mix. A soft power struggle in the Labour party, if you will, over one of the more effervescent characters that they could have let in.

Indeed. And I’m a lifelong “Labour” member and someone who voted Corbyn for leader. This is the contentious statement:

”he urged Jewish people with any sense of humanity" to condemn Israel's "ruthless murdering".

Sooooo anti-Semitic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom