Ex-Staff Liam Manning

I liked him! I won’t deny it. There was a connection being built between him and the fans. You could see something was being built, and whilst some results were frustrating ie Cambridge, Port Vale, and Wigan. There were signs that we could play 2nd fiddle and get a result. A bit like Portsmouth Yesterday. We could also go away and win easily. ie Derby, Barnsley,Fleetwood, and Stevenage. 3 of them in the top six. I think if Manning had stayed, I believe he could have got his striker in in January and we could have really kicked on.

The Bristol City job came up, so he decided to prove himself at the next level, and also get a BIG pay rise. I don’t blame him one bit for taking the job, but the problem I have, is the way he departed the club, and players he was leaving behind. It was all quick, and full of lies, and full of let downs. It just goes to show that the grass isn’t always greener, on the other side. If we gave him a stronger contract to begin with, we may of stood a chance of keeping him. I doubt it, but may of done.

I’d like to see how he does, when he gets another job after he inevitably gets dismissed from the Bristol City.

I'm not sure I can buy into this 'connection' with Manning. An awkward and unconvincing fist pump after winning isn't a connection.

But it always felt so real?

The only part of me that wants him back is the part that wants to see if would do the same power point presentation that he did here the first time and then six months later at Bristol City.

He isn’t coming back so as pointless threads go this is right up there.

I'm not sure I can buy into this 'connection' with Manning. An awkward and unconvincing fist pump after winning isn't a connection.
If I could like this post a 100 times I would. And I bet he had the fist pump written down inside his PowerPoint presentation after reading a “How to succeed” textbook.

He left before it really formed but I think there’s something in it. You look at the reaction to the Orient win after he left and it was very evident that the players and fans had connected and whilst that was heightened by his exit, his results created that. Would that happen if Des left? No chance. It would be like he was never here. Harsh but true.

Through the survival story and then becoming table toppers months later, I think many fans bonded with the results he brought. I can’t remember believing in the team as much as when he was here but to be honest I think he left before even he had a true connection with the club himself. My personal feelings are he couldn’t have got any more out of his time here and I’m extremely thankful first and foremost. Shame he didn’t see it through but he made the decision any self respecting family man would make and the club should’ve done more. But with football being so tribal, he’ll forever be seen as running out on us and that’s it.

Manning is getting a lot of heat from our side and he’s surely smart enough to know he wouldn’t be welcomed back by most and to be honest, Timmy isn’t going to just wipe the slate clean. So, even if he came back it would be a poisonous setup that’s no good for anyone except Tim, the individual.

i don't think "any self respecting family man" woulkd have behaved as Manning did - Lieing to Oxford players and fans and leaving the club in the lurch.

It's not as if the Bristol City job was the only job he was going to be offered if he did well at Oxford

So you are not counting last seasons 2 wins in 12 then.

His PPG last season was actually the same as Buckingham's this season.

From half the number of games. With a squad that was used to losing. No transfer window. And the likes of Wildschut, GO'D, Findlay and Eastwood as regulars.

I get that people are protective of Buckingham, but all the effort to minimalise Manning's achievements - this season or last - only serve to highlight how bad we're doing now.

This Manning love affair is embarrassing. We gave him an opportunity only a few months after being sacked by another league one club and gave him pretty much everything he wanted. The club got rid of established staff to bring his own people in, and many of those leaving were treated like absolute s**t. We then backed Manning in the summer transfer window and would have spent several hundred thousand more if we could have got the right deals done. Assurances were given to further invest in the playing squad in January and beyond.

The board and the whole club gave him everything he could have wanted, and he fucked off the second another club showed him any interest. f**k him and his poundshop Klopp celebrations. And remember that he didn't even wait around to speak with the players. They found out he was going via a text message on the Monday and Manning was in early on the Tuesday to clear his desk before the players arrived. He has also never once spoke of his time at Oxford as anything over than a footnote. So, once again, f**k him.

And before anyone brings up his contract situation, that was perfectly reasonable in the circumstances. He was being paid a very good salary for league one, as was Hogg. The club were still paying off Robinson and didn't want to get burnt by paying big money if we dropped into league two. The contract was reasonable AND Manning was happy to sign on these terms. Following the decent start, I'm sure the club would have been happy to discuss a deal that would have given him more security, but they didn't have that option because he had packed up and gone the moment he could get away.

Buckingham may not be the right manager, but neither is Manning and I hope that the only time we see him anywhere near Oxford again is when we're beating the teams he ends up with after Bristol City get rid of him.

Last edited:
i don't think "any self respecting family man" woulkd have behaved as Manning did - Lieing to Oxford players and fans and leaving the club in the lurch.

It's not as if the Bristol City job was the only job he was going to be offered if he did well at Oxford
I am only referring to the decision rather than the delivery of it.

This Manning love affair is embarrassing. We gave him an opportunity only a few months after bring sacked by another league one club and gave him pretty much everything he wanted. The club got rid of established staff to bring his own people in, and many of those leaving were treated like absolute s**t. We then backed Manning in the summer transfer window and would have spent several hundred thousand more if we could have got the right deals done. Assurances were given to further invest in the playing squad in January and beyond.

The board and the whole club gave him everything he could have wanted, and he fucked off the second another club showed him any interest. f**k him and his poundshop Klopp celebrations. And remember that he didn't even wait around to speak with the players. They found out he was going via a text message on the Monday and Manning was in early on the Tuesday to clear his desk before the players arrived. He has also never once spoke of his time at Oxford as anything over than a footnote. So, once again, f**k him.

And before anyone brings up his contract situation, that was perfectly reasonable in the circumstances. He was being paid a very good salary for league one, as was Hogg. The club were still paying off Robinson and didn't want to get burnt by paying big money if we dropped into league two. The contract was reasonable AND Manning was happy to sign on these terms. Following the decent start, I'm sure the club would have been happy to discuss a deal that would have given him more security, but they didn't have that option because he had packed up and gone the moment he could get away.

Buckingham may not be the right manager, but neither is Manning and I hope that the only time we see him anywhere near Oxford again is when we're beating the teams he ends up with after Bristol City get rid of him.
I’m in no doubt you know more about the intricacies of this than I do. I only wish you’d shown this much gusto and passion against Robinson who single handedly tore your football club apart but you’re still seem to be defending him on occasions. The man that virtually reversed all of that in 6 months appears to get you more upset than the one who did the damage in the first place which is where you lose me entirely with this argument.

Manning quite obviously didn’t handle things well but judging by the number of exits since, there’s obviously some motivation there from good people to escape the hierarchy which is worth considering. A lot of what you describe is the nature of football which leaves very little room for sentiment and it always needed a ruthless leader to come in and gut it which he started to do. The exit was, by the sounds of it, poor, but even that I suspect had more to it than Manning just opting to leave them all high and dry.

I am only referring to the decision rather than the delivery of it.
I don't think you can separate the two. if it was a considered decision which he was taking in the long term interest of his family he could have said exactly that.

He scuttled off as if he was trying to inflict maximum damage on our club.

I’m in no doubt you know more about the intricacies of this than I do. I only wish you’d shown this much gusto and passion against Robinson who single handedly tore your football club apart but you’re still seem to be defending him on occasions. The man that virtually reversed all of that in 6 months appears to get you more upset than the one who did the damage in the first place which is where you lose me entirely with this argument.

Manning quite obviously didn’t handle things well but judging by the number of exits since, there’s obviously some motivation there from good people to escape the hierarchy which is worth considering. A lot of what you describe is the nature of football which leaves very little room for sentiment and it always needed a ruthless leader to come in and gut it which he started to do. The exit was, by the sounds of it, poor, but even that I suspect had more to it than Manning just opting to leave them all high and dry.

If you think that Manning moved to get away from Tim Williams then you're completely naive and know nothing about Liam Manning. He was motivated by his own career and finances and nothing more. He thinks that he will be the next Eddie Howe and managing in the PL. Oxford was merely a stepping stone, and he jumped at the first offer to move up the leagues. I don't knock him for that, but equally I wouldn't welcome him back with arms wide open when he is inevitably sacked by Bristol.

I equally couldn't give a s**t about Karl Robinson anymore. Call me old fashioned, but I support the manager and players we have today, not those who have turned their back on the club.

Back
Top Bottom