Ex-Staff Liam Manning

If Manning goes now and, like so many BCFC managers before him, achieves nothing before an inevitable dismissal, he'll have had three clubs and no tangible success. In my opinion, he is, at that point, clinging on to a career as a Manager/Head Coach in professional football. He needs a success to join the perpetual merry-go-round, so the questions are: where is that more likely, here or there and what balance of self-belief and risk mitigation is he comfortable with?

I think he'll stay and play a longer game, though if truth be told, I don't know if my heart is ruling my head in that conclusion.

Last edited:
Would you be surprised if he sees the season out at Oxford United?

I’m not saying that he definitely won’t, I’m saying that there will be further interest in him.

Law of averages says that probably another 4/5 champ jobs will most probably become available between now and May. If they do and we remain in a position of strength in our league position, LM will be part of the conversation for those jobs and eventually, he’ll land one of them.

If Manning goes now and, like so many BCFC managers before him, achieves nothing before an inevitable dismissal, he'll have had three clubs and no tangible success. In my opinion, he is, at that point, clinging on to a career as a Manager/Head Coach in professional football. He needs a success to join the perpetual merry-go-round, so the questions are: where is that more likely, here or there and what balance of self-belief and risk mitigation is he comfortable with?

I think he'll stay and play a longer game, though is truth be told, I don't know if my heart is ruling my head in that conclusion.
If he went to Bristol City and it didn’t work he’d have absolutely no trouble finding a decent job in L1

Mutual consent….
As I said in my follow-up, if Manning was speaking to Bristol City with regards a move and settled on a deal to go there in January in the window, would you really keep him at the club for the intervening 2 months? There is no way it would work in practice.

If he goes , 28 matches & just over 6 months in charge. Doesn't look like a good appointment to me .. Not to disimiler to Ian Greaves, but boy will we be lucky to get a Jim Smith replacement????

And we don't have a director of football, and who knows if we have invested in succession planning?
Sorry to bleat on but this is the key point for me. Regardless of what happens with BCFC there needs to be succession planning and continuity. We are playing decent football with players who seem happy with the style. If Liam goes we need a similar coach with a similar approach.

Does anyone know - if Liam does go, will he take the backroom staff with him?

If he goes , 28 matches & just over 6 months in charge. Doesn't look like a good appointment to me .. Not to disimiler to Ian Greaves, but boy will we be lucky to get a Jim Smith replacement????
He prevented our seemingly inevitable relegation and has put us in the automatic promotion spots, nearly securing our safety in League One for another year, in the process. I don't know how the appointment could have gone any better.

And to put the cherry on the cake, he's even allowing my beloved "second team" Portsmouth to remain top of the table.

He prevented our seemingly inevitable relegation and has put us in the automatic promotion spots, nearly securing our safety in League One for another year, in the process. I don't know how the appointment could have gone any better.

And to put the cherry on the cake, he's even allowing my beloved "second team" Portsmouth to remain top of the table.
Yes & me my second favourite team, that I hated.😉🤔

Online X poll by Talk of 72 has Lampard well in lead which of course could be The Gas wishing City well (!) - I put my own stamp on voting for Eustace

Sorry to bleat on but this is the key point for me. Regardless of what happens with BCFC there needs to be succession planning and continuity. We are playing decent football with players who seem happy with the style. If Liam goes we need a similar coach with a similar approach.

Does anyone know - if Liam does go, will he take the backroom staff with him?
I think it's reasonable to expect Hogg, Price and Krause would all go with him. Short would likely stay.

As you say, succession planning is key. I just hope Tim and Grant are all over this one and they've already got a list of names they'd want to talk to.

Online X poll by Talk of 72 has Lampard well in lead which of course could be The Gas wishing City well (!) - I put my own stamp on voting for Eustace
If Manning was to go would people be happy to see Eustace as his replacement here..? Or possibly Rowett?

I’m not wishing Manning out the door. I’m hoping he stays and gets us promotion but it helps to think there might be some decent alternatives just in case the worst happens…

If Manning was to go would people be happy to see Eustace as his replacement here..? Or possibly Rowett?

I’m not wishing Manning out the door. I’m hoping he stays and gets us promotion but it helps to think there might be some decent alternatives just in case the worst happens…
I am.not sure that either Eustace or Rowett play in a similar style to what we ate currently playing.
At Birmingam it sounds as if Eustace played a low block and used to ground out results.
If there was a new manager, they will need to buy into the use and development of young players as well.

As we have seen many times; Bookies respond to betting patterns, not insider knowledge:

I think it's reasonable to expect Hogg, Price and Krause would all go with him. Short would likely stay.

As you say, succession planning is key. I just hope Tim and Grant are all over this one and they've already got a list of names they'd want to talk to.
As long as it’s not:
Barton
Robinson
Flynn

I don’t want Manning to go, but I always find it interesting to see the names linked with the job. Also a chance to see some succession planning from the club.

Back
Top Bottom