Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Forgive me ignorance but am I right in saying there is no Director of Football at Oxford Utd? If so where does the continuity come from? There has to be an understanding about what sort of club we are and the type of football we play and then recruit players and managers based on that understanding.

No but there is a group with the CEO, Faz etc I think. They did well last time, whoever it was.

Not Cowley.
Absolutely not - a Robinsonesque character who's football is at best absolutely functional.

Interesting comment on the, largely negative, Bristol forum about Manning:

" He’s on a “run of form” at Oxford as opposed to having shown he could alleviate the concerns his MK sacking showed. It could be genius, and in 18 months he may have been out of reach but my gut is it feels a very big gamble currently".

Got to be Buckingham for me, there will be a certain amount of continuity recruiting again from the City Football Group, it would make a lot of sense.
I believe City Football Group blocked an approach for him recently as they see him as a big part of their plans going forward.

Throwing my two pennies worth for managers - Danny Cowley or Luke Williams

These are going to become very unoriginal, aren't they?

My choice: Whoever won League 2 last season - can't be arsed to check who - their manager.

I get everything about money talking (he'll be set for years on a salary from Bristol City even if he is sacked), wanting to be ambitious and challenge yourself at the next level, but do managers really not give a s**t about achieving anything anymore? KR has wiggled his a**e at every job going and all he has to show for nigh on 700 matches as a coach is one promotion eight years ago.

He has very much turned us around though and at a speedier rate than any of us could anticipate. He did everything right in keeping us up by making us hard to beat first of all and then attack-minded in the winnable final matches of the season, and the recruitment this summer essentially made the squad 80% complete. The shopping list for January is a short one as a result of his (and the rest of the team) work. We applaud him for that.

It's a major disappointment since I figured that he'd maybe want to stay and complete the job. Actually put an achievement on the CV rather than jump for a job for a team with loftier ambitions but almost never achieve them. At least the likes of Millwall and Rotherham in the Championship have fairly realistic expectations of where they'll finish.

The list of candidates will still be fresh from the Spring although you can cross out Appleton and McCann. Perhaps 'Dishy' Des Buckingham may be worth an interview again. Or is this all set up for Emma Hayes ... ?!

She is going to manage the US woman's team.

I don't think a manager in his financial situation, he is not a rich ex pro, is going to be able to put a chance at a promotion over the guarantee of financial security, this is a job and a business to the people who work in it not a hobby.

Still s**t for us but next time a manager is not performing anyone who says we should show excessive loyalty should remember they wouldn't to us.

Do all our loans have recalls? Since I know Bristol keeper has not been the best, and would imagine Beadle would be first on manning a list and not a lot we can do as not our player.

I don't think the board will let him go. We're in a good fight for promotion and the prize money would be worth giving LM a new contract to get him to stay.

Perhaps Brentford ‘knew’ about the possibility of Manning’s betrayal and have already decided that he’ll be recalled.

Why?
What about the tripling of his salary and opportunity to work at a much higher level?
Yes true, the salary is probably the reason, but they are only a mid table championship side with not a huge budget and we could be in the same division next season. If LM thought he was onto something good and was happy here, it must be the salary!

Back
Top Bottom