General Most Loved/Hated Music

If The Clash hadn't done Guns Of Brixton then Jimmy Cliff couldn't have covered it and the world would be a poorer place. Fact.

I am loving how much appreciation Doves are getting on here.
Doves are fantastic. Much more real than Elbow, who for some reason are more popular. This will sound ridiculous, but their debut album got to me in a way that rarely happens. I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard it - on a coach back from Cardiff watching the motorway out of the window. Ironic that M62 Song was on their next album!

Warsaw by Joy Division :love: Up there with 'No Love Lost' in my favourite JD tracks. The Joe Jackson song didn't really seem to fit though. Good track mind, in fact the album it is taken from is decent.
It was a funny old thing to do as a lot of the acts didn't really musically fit the 'punk and new wave' brief but they were part of the scene, playing the same venues and selling records to the same audience. The likes of Ian Dury, Nick Lowe, Joe Jackson, Eddie & The Hot Rods, Jonathan Richman, Wreckless Eric and even Devo had been going at it for a while but the whole scene threw up a slightly more receptive audience and they just fitted.

I also wanted to go for 1 act, 1 song and include a few outliers and oddities!

No, occasionally I can see that, sometimes you just look at music that was so personally important at the time in some sort of golden glow.

Although I listen to a broad old selection of music now (especially jazz), that 76 - 79 era is time I really started to form my own tastes and go to see bands. Between the Poly and Friar's in Aylesbury I saw just about every act of note, except the Pistols and I'm still collecting singles now. I'm actually going to give a shout to Paul Beasley who introduced me to a few bands.

Having worked in and around the music business for about 40 years I even put together this CD box-set back 1999:

That is far too reasonable of you @Big Ron . Maybe your younger self would have kicked me in.

My era was early/mid 90s but my older brother got me into the pun and post punk bands (X-Ray Spex - amazing as well). Like you I've got into jazz in a big way - A Love Supreme by John Coltrane, The Black Saint by Mingus, Sun Ra, Pharaoh Sanders.

Don't worry @SteMerritt - I definitely get everyone loving Sex Pistols.

I think there's some revisionism with The Killers because everyone else seemed to f*****g love them at the time. I remember refusing to dance / going out for a cigarette when they came on in an indie club whilst everyone else hollered and my friends called me a miserable bastard.

Once I was coming back from Oxford late and the entire bus (apart from me) sang Bohemian Rhapsody. Apart from they kept forgetting where they were in the song so the torture went on for over half an hour.

Agree on The Clash - even if you don't like all of it, there's something to love for everyone there (some people would say the same about Queen!)
I wouldn't wish this form or torture on anyone.

Funnily enough people used to think I was a miserable bastard at events for clearing off outside when the inevitable closing track of "Mr Brightside" came on as well! There's something so irritating about it for me, the whinyness of it, I can't put my finger on it but it's awful. I was under the impression everybody thought Queen was one of the all-time great bands, so much so I've never voiced the fact I can't stand it to most people. I told my girlfriend and she told me I was committing "sacrilege"

My dad love the Clash, The Jam etc so I grew up listening to it. Town Called Malice was my favourite song growing up.

I think the thing most posters would disagree on is my love of Oasis, which seems to be quite divisive. Yes, Wonderwall is overplayed, and their later albums are very... mixed quality. But the first two albums for me are unbelievable. Talk Tonight, The Masterplan, Acquiesce, D'you know what I mean, Live Forever, Supersonic, rarely go a month without giving these a listen depending on mymood. I will admit to loving some of Noel and Liams solo stuff as well, Wall of Glass, Greedy soul, heat of the moment, dying of the light, if I had a gun, dead in the water, black star dancing.

I'll get hammered for this! But I think Noel Gallagher is one of the best songwriters of all time.

Don't look back in anger was top of the charts when I was born.

@SteMerritt it's interesting how often Doves have featured on people's most loved (incuding mine), yet would it be fair to say they're not considered by most as one of the all time great bands? I wonder why that is.

I am not saying any of these bands are particularly amazing, they were simply popular in my youth and thus I find them nostalgic and like some of the tunes.

I'm not sure what's made you think I'm not open to "new music and new experiences." Bizarre thing to say. I am open to new music, I just don't enjoy the vast majority of the output I hear these days, and I've listened to plenty of Grime/Rap and generally speaking, I hate it. I actually don't mind older tracks like Biggy Smalls "Juicy", I just don't like the trend toward "trap" music, which is massive, at least in the part of London I live in.

I've never claimed to be any sort of music connisseur, but saying I'm not open to new music is well wide of the mark.
Apologies it wasn't meant to be a personal dig, probably that I would have expected to see some recent references from you and MY, given your age! My sons listen to trap/grime and rap but it would embarrassing to pretend it's what I listen to - the magnificent Loyle Carner accepted of course!

I wouldn't wish this form or torture on anyone.

Funnily enough people used to think I was a miserable bastard at events for clearing off outside when the inevitable closing track of "Mr Brightside" came on as well! There's something so irritating about it for me, the whinyness of it, I can't put my finger on it but it's awful. I was under the impression everybody thought Queen was one of the all-time great bands, so much so I've never voiced the fact I can't stand it to most people. I told my girlfriend and she told me I was committing "sacrilege"

My dad love the Clash, The Jam etc so I grew up listening to it. Town Called Malice was my favourite song growing up.

I think the thing most posters would disagree on is my love of Oasis, which seems to be quite divisive. Yes, Wonderwall is overplayed, and their later albums are very... mixed quality. But the first two albums for me are unbelievable. Talk Tonight, The Masterplan, Acquiesce, D'you know what I mean, Live Forever, Supersonic, rarely go a month without giving these a listen depending on mymood. I will admit to loving some of Noel and Liams solo stuff as well, Wall of Glass, Greedy soul, heat of the moment, dying of the light, if I had a gun, dead in the water, black star dancing.

I'll get hammered for this! But I think Noel Gallagher is one of the best songwriters of all time.

Don't look back in anger was top of the charts when I was born.
I found the majority of Britpop bands so dull at the time. Many just a rehash or bad versions of late 60s / early 70s British music. There were some big exceptions to the rule - Radiohead, Pulp, Super Furry Animals etc. But dear me - Ocean Colour Scene, Menswear, Cast????? I started getting into loads of electronic music then - Orbital, Aphex Twin, Prodigy (jilted generation)

I found the majority of Britpop bands so dull at the time. Many just a rehash or bad versions of late 60s / early 70s British music. There were some big exceptions to the rule - Radiohead, Pulp, Super Furry Animals etc. But dear me - Ocean Colour Scene, Menswear, Cast????? I started getting into loads of electronic music then - Orbital, Aphex Twin, Prodigy (jilted generation)
Avril 14th by Apex Twin is perhaps one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded.

I thought I was on my own hating Mr Brightside and Bohemian Rhapsody, so conversely, I'm loving the slamming they are getting. If so many people don't like it, why can you not escape it at wedding receptions et al. Painful!

Just a guess but probably because plenty of people like them. :)

That is far too reasonable of you @Big Ron . Maybe your younger self would have kicked me in.

My era was early/mid 90s but my older brother got me into the pun and post punk bands (X-Ray Spex - amazing as well). Like you I've got into jazz in a big way - A Love Supreme by John Coltrane, The Black Saint by Mingus, Sun Ra, Pharaoh Sanders.

Don't worry @SteMerritt - I definitely get everyone loving Sex Pistols.
@Eric Blair I'm also something of a fan of Mrs Coltrane and on that front, try the new album from Amanda Whiting 'The Liminality Of Her'. Features flautist Chip Wickham his 'Shamal Winds' record is one of my favourite jazz albums of recent years, along with the Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders record 'Promises'.

Aphex Twin!

Wifey gets very disturbed when I put the Fauntleroy mix of 'Come to Daddy' on, and have a singalong.

....and when that's finished it's CJ Bolland doing 'sugar is sweeter'.

Avril 14th by Apex Twin is perhaps one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded.
It's a really strange bit of music. Like you I absolutely love it but it comes from an album I just dont get at all. But the track itself as you mention is amazing.

This track was only on the vinyl of selected ambient works. It always confused me because it is his best in my opinion

-

@Eric Blair I'm also something of a fan of Mrs Coltrane and on that front, try the new album from Amanda Whiting 'The Liminality Of Her'. Features flautist Chip Wickham his 'Shamal Winds' record is one of my favourite jazz albums of recent years, along with the Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders record 'Promises'.
1712679999493.jpeg

Massive agree!!!!!! Alice Coltrane is essential and that Pharoah/Floating Points record blew me away. I dont know Amanda Whiting or Chip Wickham so I will dive into those tonight. Given your music taste (Clash to one side) I am very excited about that. I'm always on the look out for new stuff.

Massive agree!!!!!! Alice Coltrane is essential and that Pharoah/Floating Points record blew me away. I dont know Amanda Whiting or Chip Wickham so I will dive into those tonight. Given your music taste (Clash to one side) I am very excited about that. I'm always on the look out for new stuff.
Oh god, don't rely on my tastes - see Jazz Club call out above!

Back
Top Bottom