New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

TVP have made routine objections for a project of this nature-I’m fine with that.
Unless they were awaiting answers from the club ,I do question why the comments on the planning portal were lodged after the (technically) closing date .
And
Why the OM waited two weeks to report this important item of news .

TVP have made routine objections for a project of this nature-I’m fine with that.
Unless they were awaiting answers from the club ,I do question why the comments on the planning portal were lodged after the (technically) closing date .
And
Why the OM waited two weeks to report this important item of news .
Because they know it will get maximum attention with us going to Wembley, absolute scum of the earth paper who have FOSB pulling their strings probably paying for them to release stories. Disgusting. The fact that the Oxford Mail account has also tried to tag in sky news and press preview tells you all you need to know. Absolutely pathetic attempt at journalism.

Sorry Scotchers but how long have been trying to take this approach with only reading the good stories and not reacting to their agenda stories?
Just look at what their story has caused now…ITV reporting the stadium has been rejected all off the back of OM’s story!

I don’t think we can just sit back and let OM get away with printing what ever they want. Time for the club to ban the paper and for fans to stop buying/using the their website.

I used to check the OM website every day for the latest news on the club, I haven’t done that in over 12 months now. If they go under on the back of this then so be it. Time for them to see what happens when you get into with FOSB.

I completely agree that we as fans should stop buying the Oxford Mail, and I've said that we shouldn't click share or respond in any way to the negative stuff that they write. They are entirely dependant on the income from physically bought papers or from those reading online.

However, there is a difference between how we should act as a fanbase and how the club should act.

The club banning the paper won't stop this nonsense from being written but it will reduce the content that the club do want to get out. This week will see loads of articles about the lead up to Wembley, and next week will have pages of photos from the day. A win will see this continue for a few days more. We shouldn't turn our backs on this publicity. It's also not a good look in general for a club who is pushing the community agenda to ban our local paper or to try to dictate what is written.

The paper’s influence isn’t really the issue, it’s their lack of loyalty to an institution on which they have depended for years.

That’s what sticks in my throat.

It’s the timing also.

In the week running up to the biggest game for the club and its supporters for several years.

It’s clearly deliberate and calculated, and this isn’t an isolated incident, we’ve had a complete imbalance front page stadium stories from the Oxford Mail.

I completely agree that we as fans should stop buying the Oxford Mail, and I've said that we shouldn't click share or respond in any way to the negative stuff that they write. They are entirely dependant on the income from physically bought papers or from those reading online.

However, there is a difference between how we should act as a fanbase and how the club should act.

The club banning the paper won't stop this nonsense from being written but it will reduce the content that the club do want to get out. This week will see loads of articles about the lead up to Wembley, and next week will have pages of photos from the day. A win will see this continue for a few days more. We shouldn't turn our backs on this publicity. It's also not a good look in general for a club who is pushing the community agenda to ban our local paper or to try to dictate what is written.
I think that is sensible. We should do this on our own terms.

Front page negative news once again, in the lead up to a massively positive game at Wembley after positive news on the lease it's really a low blow.
I'd expect the Sun or similar to print not the local paper who obviously are against the Stadium for whatever purpose .
Genuinely sickening .
Report it on page 4 or 5 not as this great show stopping gleefully on the front page.

I can see where you are coming from with regards to the club’s stance but I still don’t agree that us as fans should still click on their ‘positive’ oufc news stories.
They are happy to have a front page story which is negative about the club’s future but then want to piggy back on the back of our trip to Wembley? Not for me thanks. There will be plenty of pictures from the day on social media and the clubs official platforms without the need to click on the OM articles.

How many articles have they done on the great work the club have done in and around the county this year? How many positive stories have they put on their front page regarding the stadium, the lease being signed etc?

I can see where you are coming from with regards to the club’s stance but I still don’t agree that us as fans should still click on their ‘positive’ oufc news stories.
They are happy to have a front page story which is negative about the club’s future but then want to piggy back on the back of our trip to Wembley? Not for me thanks. There will be plenty of pictures from the day on social media and the clubs official platforms without the need to click on the OM articles.

How many articles have they done on the great work the club have done in and around the county this year? How many positive stories have they put on their front page regarding the stadium, the lease being signed etc?

It's unfortunately simple economics.

If a positive article gets 100 views and a handful of comments it will only generate a little income for the business through linked advertising.
If a negative article gets 20,000 views, dozens of shares across other social media platforms and 100 comments then it generates far more money and the paper looks to repeat time and time again.

Switch those figures round and they will suddenly look much more pro-stadium and pro-OUFC across the whole paper. We have to remember that as much as the timing stinks and the narrative is unnecessarily negative, the story is factually accurate and of public interest. I actually think it would be a massive own-goal for the club to act on this as it would be seen as that they are trying to control the media.

@MJB is right. The reach that the Oxford Mail has is relatively little and entirely irrelevant to our planning application. Its chip paper and best ignored.

No retractraction ...but a tad more accurate on the itv meridian late bulletin

There is an anti oufc agenda it seems - where from is the question?

Last edited:
When you look at the maths for that, you’d really be optimistic for 9 approvals based on political persuasions. You can write off two and the independent is an unknown, based on who it is. Let’s say it’s against, you then just need a few oranges to do the right thing, and we’re hopefully where we need to be.

As the old adage goes, the first rule of politics is learn how to count.

Helpful if the ‘progressive’ alliance is indeed over in this particular LA, as that would hopefully cut down on any anti-progressive deal-making as certain individuals would like.

I’m really not bothered about the Oxford Mail - it’s just chip paper and has virtually no clout or influence these days.

Our best bet (as a club) is to continue to engage with the paper for now, but remember all of this. Our best bet as fans is to ignore them - like the vast majority of the county has done for many years now.

It’s the politics which is really of note, not a click-baiting newspaper with very little reach. And on that front, things are looking decent.

Can’t wait to join others in one last campaign of writing to Planning Committee members, Ward Councillors and the Leader to let them know that they must seize this opportunity for the people of Kidlington, Cherwell and Oxfordshire.

We’ve got this.
If we are going ignore them people need to stop putting links on here to the Oxford Fail.

When we announced the signing of the heads of terms and legally binding deal last week was it front page news with a great big headline in the actual paper

I know it wasn't on website it was yet again put in the sports section

It’s the timing also.

In the week running up to the biggest game for the club and its supporters for several years.

It’s clearly deliberate and calculated, and this isn’t an isolated incident, we’ve had a complete imbalance front page stadium stories from the Oxford Mail.
It was definitely kept "on ice" and published in this week, when there is a bit of quiet before the storm for maximum clicks and attention.

Truly appalling.

When we announced the signing of the heads of terms and legally binding deal last week was it front page news with a great big headline in the actual paper

I know it wasn't on website it was yet again put in the sports section
Their tactic of putting all positive stadium news in the sport section compared to all negative stadium news on the main page has always really irked me

Their tactic of putting all positive stadium news in the sport section compared to all negative stadium news on the main page has always really irked me
But was it in the actual paper on the front page that's what I need to know before I fire off a strongly worded email

My feelings are that the Mail are not getting the balance right here.In fact their bias is alarming

I haven’t got time to look at all the articles about the Stadium and see if any positive ones were on the FRONT PAGE , but even then Middleton or Mc Ivor would be in there giving the counter argument.

I don’t think there has been one positive story on the front page, other than maybe getting the go ahead last September.

For those of you still thinking it’s only economics and clickbate,think again.

There is an agenda here, it’s like the Daily Mail or Express always being pro Tory and Anti Labour. If Labour got into power and reduced tax by 5% there would still be a negative story and that’s what we have here.

Anti Stadium pro FoSB and their wealthy chums.

It really happens far too often, if it were economics they could put positive stories about families going to Wembley or even give tickets to those who can’t afford the extortionate prices. Just think what that would do for their dwindling sales

No it stinks, I really hope we can get some momentum behind this, at a time when we need support we are being let down

But was it in the actual paper on the front page that's what I need to know before I fire off a strongly worded email

Today’s OM printed front page:

GNmWYGMWgAEbRSA

Back
Top Bottom