Conference Oxford City

I would love city to get to the football league,unlikely I know but they were always my second team. Used to go down occasionly when we werent playing.

So by the letter of the law, I think the ref was actually perfectly correct there.

The appropriate red card offense is "Denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"

The appropriate yellow card offense is "handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack"

Neither of these things are actually true here, because there's no attacker anywhere near the ball (the nearest one has given up the chase, and is ambling along well behind the last defender). It's neither an obvious goal-scoring opportunity nor a promising attack. If the goalie decided to go have a cup of tea, the defender is still clearing that ball comfortably.

There isn't an offense for "pick up the ball thirty yards away from goal because you're an absolute dope who has no idea where he is"

If the ref's job is purely to follow the law, rather than add his own interpretation (and I think it is) then a free kick but no cards seems to me to be the correct decision here!
Agreed, very good refereeing with a bit of common sense involved.
Many, many officials would let the blood go to their head where there's a possibility of a red card.

I would love city to get to the football league,unlikely I know but they were always my second team. Used to go down occasionly when we werent playing.
Good luck to them if they need planning permission to expand their stadium. "Friends of Marston" immediately set up.

That is a weak excuse but not surprised. Still poor from the Ref and I imagine York are fuming about it.
Seems perfectly legitimate excuse to me, why else would the keeper catch it like that? My daughter's team had all sorts of issues when playing on a double marked pitch.

Seems perfectly legitimate excuse to me, why else would the keeper catch it like that? My daughter's team had all sorts of issues when playing on a double marked pitch.

A grown professional keeper should know the lines for a penalty area regardless of other lines. After all, the line he was judging it wrongly on goes across the whole pitch unlike that of the penalty area.

A grown professional keeper should know the lines for a penalty area regardless of other lines. After all, the line he was judging it wrongly on goes across the whole pitch unlike that of the penalty area.
It's not the first time it's happened and why else would he do that and give away a free kick on the edge of the box and potentially get sent off? Yep, seems a legitimate reason to me.

Home to the 'Heeeed tonight if anyone fancies a wander down

Imagine if in three years time they get promoted to the football league, and due to ground requirements, move to the Kassam!

Oxford City are live on TNT Sports on Saturday @ 5pm, home v Altrincham.

On TNT Sports (BT Sport) vs Altrincham at 17:30, let's hope it's two wins for the Oxford teams this weekend

Back
Top Bottom