General Oxford Fanatics Reappearance - Missing Money

On another note regarding colour at matches what looks really impressive is the vocal supporters ie the East Stand and when we travel away to wear all yellow. This could be in the form of T shirts worn on their own or over the top of clothing, they range between £5 to £10 and once they have been bought you bring them along to the match, you buy your own. Any supporters that have club shirts that's fine but not everyone can afford £30 for a shirt. One outlay for the season at less than 50p a home match. Im sure that if we collated a sizeable order from one supplier for the same shirts we could get a deal, plus you've got something for your money that's yours.

On another note regarding colour at matches what looks really impressive is the vocal supporters ie the East Stand and when we travel away to wear all yellow. This could be in the form of T shirts worn on their own or over the top of clothing, they range between £5 to £10 and once they have been bought you bring them along to the match, you buy your own. Any supporters that have club shirts that's fine but not everyone can afford £30 for a shirt. One outlay for the season at less than 50p a home match. Im sure that if we collated a sizeable order from one supplier for the same shirts we could get a deal, plus you've got something for your money that's yours.
It’s noticeable how much more ‘yellow’ we become in the warmer weather.

Never liked them up until now but after seeing the Lincoln fans think we should bite the bullet and go down the drum route - if we are going to compete noise wise or create an atmosphere and sense of togetherness like they did.

Only if the drummer can play a drum, ie. not like a toddler who has got their 1st drum kit. And preferably a snare drum only.

That was exactly the initial comments when the 'Giallo Esercito' group emerged in 2009. They worked hard, starting with small scale displays, laying the foundations and attracting 'members'. Renamed themselves as 'Oxford Ultras' to be more appealing to more people and over time the trust in them to deliver top notch displays.
It meant that as the original founders became older, went off to Uni, got jobs etc. there was an interest from others to take it on. And the respect was there from the wider fanbase, there was an understanding and that is what is important to allow to grow here.

When the Ultras disbanded at the end of the 18/19 season, we as a fanbase had almost become too reliant and expectant, there was no-one to step in and take the lead on continuing something similar. Then add in Covid, and there's a whole missing generation of OUFC fans. It feels like we're missing numbers in the 21-25 age bracket and it's something that is seen across the country actually.

I'm all for a group of younger lads who look for donations but also want to spend their own money and time in creating everything from small displays to massive full stand ones. I really don't think people realise how much time these things take.

Lets give them time to prove themselves and with Joe involved to keep them grounded and point them in the right direction - I have every faith they'll come good and we'll get back to the days like in the video below.

We were fortunate (I can’t remember when I got involved… 2011??) that as group of lads organising and pulling the displays off etc. we were quite small.

Regularly half a dozen of us (maximum) would be up at the stadium a couple of hours before the game taking the banners and wavers out of the East Stand cupboard to then stick up or hang on the back wall, people were seeing us every Saturday. The big surfers involved us running down the East Stand to help ensure it was out correctly, the pulleys off the top of the East Stand invariably involved asking someone to hold a rope while we got it set up.

We were also regular and active members on here e.g. Luca Brassi I still attend regularly as does one of the lads (who used to post on here) and I’d find it very difficult to know who was involved. That’s not necessarily a bad thing as long as people see their money being spent.

Incidentally, we didn’t ask for money all the time. More often than not it was for the really big displays e.g. Sw@ndon. Because a lot of the displays on a Saturday centred around waver flag etc. we could just repurpose it. The same as we could repurpose one of the surfers.

Over time, I hope, and would expect that Joe and the new group will be able to do the same. I know some may disagree, and it’s almost impossible without a dedicated group of people, but I do miss, hand painted banners on the back wall. I think it added colour, excitement and individuality beyond what we have today.

We were fortunate (I can’t remember when I got involved… 2011??) that as group of lads organising and pulling the displays off etc. we were quite small.

Regularly half a dozen of us (maximum) would be up at the stadium a couple of hours before the game taking the banners and wavers out of the East Stand cupboard to then stick up or hang on the back wall, people were seeing us every Saturday. The big surfers involved us running down the East Stand to help ensure it was out correctly, the pulleys off the top of the East Stand invariably involved asking someone to hold a rope while we got it set up.

We were also regular and active members on here e.g. Luca Brassi I still attend regularly as does one of the lads (who used to post on here) and I’d find it very difficult to know who was involved. That’s not necessarily a bad thing as long as people see their money being spent.

Incidentally, we didn’t ask for money all the time. More often than not it was for the really big displays e.g. Sw@ndon. Because a lot of the displays on a Saturday centred around waver flag etc. we could just repurpose it. The same as we could repurpose one of the surfers.

Over time, I hope, and would expect that Joe and the new group will be able to do the same. I know some may disagree, and it’s almost impossible without a dedicated group of people, but I do miss, hand painted banners on the back wall. I think it added colour, excitement and individuality beyond what we have today.
I miss it too, it looked ace!

That was exactly the initial comments when the 'Giallo Esercito' group emerged in 2009. They worked hard, starting with small scale displays, laying the foundations and attracting 'members'. Renamed themselves as 'Oxford Ultras' to be more appealing to more people and over time the trust in them to deliver top notch displays.
It meant that as the original founders became older, went off to Uni, got jobs etc. there was an interest from others to take it on. And the respect was there from the wider fanbase, there was an understanding and that is what is important to allow to grow here.

When the Ultras disbanded at the end of the 18/19 season, we as a fanbase had almost become too reliant and expectant, there was no-one to step in and take the lead on continuing something similar. Then add in Covid, and there's a whole missing generation of OUFC fans. It feels like we're missing numbers in the 21-25 age bracket and it's something that is seen across the country actually.

I'm all for a group of younger lads who look for donations but also want to spend their own money and time in creating everything from small displays to massive full stand ones. I really don't think people realise how much time these things take.

Lets give them time to prove themselves and with Joe involved to keep them grounded and point them in the right direction - I have every faith they'll come good and we'll get back to the days like in the video below.

I used to have a season ticket in the back right (looking at the pitch) in second season in the conference and was accidentally among the new, young ultras. At first being an old git (even aged 32) I did find them and their unusual songs a bit annoying, but they were committed and didn't give two hoots about the old guard. There was one called 'Meathead' who looked about 16 but had one of the loudest voices I've ever heard at football - they were a good bunch and it was a shame the way the rug got pulled via the silliness with the club, or stadium manager, and then covid. It would be great if they could be supported or integrated back via the Yellow Army

Back
Top Bottom