General Oxford United - League One (EFL) 22 Player Squad

Our squad spaces allowed are 5/6 short Werthers. We’ve filled the squad to make it look like it’s stronger than it is, when in reality goodrham and odonkor don’t need to be registered and neither do the keepers., not part of the official squad anyway. Goodrham and odonkor aren’t ready to be playing week in week out for a promotion chasing side, they will be one day but they are not currently & our squad depth is poor for that reason.
We aren't a promotion chasing side though now so an ideal time to blood the younger players .
Could give all of them some great experience this season .

We aren't a promotion chasing side though now so an ideal time to blood the younger players .
Could give all of them some great experience this season .
I don’t disagree with you on that & im not going to judge them on their performances this season anyway. It wouldn’t be fair on them. They will be better players for it, but we are 5/6 players short of where we should be & that is unforgivable

I would have thought that whatever the plan is for the rest of this season and/or who is going to be in charge in the short and/or long term...

...it would be generally beneficial to sign an additional forward and central midfielder from perhaps L2/conf to bolster numbers and bridge that gap between the current senior players and our own youngsters coming through.

Doesn't have to be budget busting, just someone looking to step up the ladder and fill in when the first choice aren't around.

I would have thought that whatever the plan is for the rest of this season and/or who is going to be in charge in the short and/or long term...

...it would be generally beneficial to sign an additional forward and central midfielder from perhaps L2/conf to bolster numbers and bridge that gap between the current senior players and our own youngsters coming through.

Doesn't have to be budget busting, just someone looking to step up the ladder and fill in when the first choice aren't around.
I think you have a couple of problems there though.

Firstly (as we all know), signing players is not easy in January and hopefully you would be looking to sign the top forward/midfielder from any club below us - because if you want a player who could be involved and effective immediately this season or to even cover in what we hope should be a club aiming for the Championship next season, they would have to be. Any player of that description (fit, top player in their team, right age etc) quite probably would be expensive even if they were available.

Secondly, signing a player who suspects they might be primarily for this season, but might be relegated to the bench as cover when we sign someone better in the summer might be a difficult sell as far as the player is concerned. They might be happier to wait until the summer to see what more attractive offers there might be.

That's not to say it is impossible of course - but with five days of the transfer window left and given KRs utterances recently, you can't help but think we are going to limp on until the end of the season very much as we are.

Clubs in League One shall be permitted to name up to a maximum 22 Players.

Under 21 players do not need to be named on the Squad List to be eligible to participate in a League Match.

Goalkeepers are also not included.

1. Djavan Anderson
  2. Sam Baldock - injured
  3. Billy Bodin
  4. Cameron Brannagan
  5. Ciaron Brown
  6. Marcus Browne - injured
  7. Stuart Findlay - (linked with Hibs)
  8. James Henry - injured
  9. Sam Long
  10. Marcus McGuane
  11. Elliott Moore
  12. Josh Murphy - injured
  13. Alex Gorrin - injured
  14. Brandon Fleming (loan)
  15. Matt Taylor
  16. Yanic Wildschut

Jodi Jones removed.

Clubs in League One shall be permitted to name up to a maximum 22 Players.

Under 21 players do not need to be named on the Squad List to be eligible to participate in a League Match.

Goalkeepers are also not included.

1. Djavan Anderson
  2. Sam Baldock - injured
  3. Billy Bodin
  4. Cameron Brannagan
  5. Ciaron Brown
  6. Marcus Browne - injured
  7. Stuart Findlay - (linked with Hibs)
  8. James Henry - injured
  9. Sam Long
  10. Marcus McGuane
  11. Elliott Moore
  12. Josh Murphy - injured
  13. Alex Gorrin - injured
  14. Brandon Fleming (loan)
  15. Matt Taylor
  16. Yanic Wildschut

No Joseph on the list?

Goalkeepers -

1. Simon Eastwood
2. Ed McGinty

U21s -

1. Lewis Bate
2. Kyle Joseph
3. Stephan Negru
4. Teddy Mfuni

Then the likes of youth team players like Tyler Goodrham & Gatlin O’Donkor.

Players out on loan/left -

1. Oisin Smyth
2. Steve Seddon
3. Jack Stevens
4. John Mousinho
5. Ben Davis

^

Didn’t realise he was that young, I suppose being next to Bate and Goodrham makes anyone look older, they both look about 12.
So four first teamers don't count towards the squad - Bate, Joseph, Goodrhm, and GOD. We're a couple short plus need to replace Jones.

So four first teamers don't count towards the squad - Bate, Joseph, Goodrhm, and GOD. We're a couple short plus need to replace Jones.
Really? Are you Nadhim Zahawi's tax accountant? ;)

Promising as both Goodrham and GoD are, they have only been played in the first team because there is little option. KR himself said that if they hadn't been desperately needed they would be out on loan to get some experience. So claiming they are part of the first team squad, when they are only part of that squad because of lack of numbers in there in the first place is a bit odd.
We could/should have had 22 senior players *plus* all of those under 21 (including GoD and Goodrham if you think they are ready) and 2 senior keepers.
What we actually have is 16 senior players - and 5 of those seem to be long term injured - plus all of those under 21 and 2 senior keepers.

Even if you are generous and say that all of the injuries are completely unforeseeable and none of them were a probability when we started the season then we are now 6 senior players short. That's a new striker, a new CDM, a new right back and you still have three places left!

Really? Are you Nadhim Zahawi's tax accountant? ;)

Promising as both Goodrham and GoD are, they have only been played in the first team because there is little option. KR himself said that if they hadn't been desperately needed they would be out on loan to get some experience. So claiming they are part of the first team squad, when they are only part of that squad because of lack of numbers in there in the first place is a bit odd.
We could/should have had 22 senior players *plus* all of those under 21 (including GoD and Goodrham if you think they are ready) and 2 senior keepers.
What we actually have is 16 senior players - and 5 of those seem to be long term injured - plus all of those under 21 and 2 senior keepers.

Even if you are generous and say that all of the injuries are completely unforeseeable and none of them were a probability when we started the season then we are now 6 senior players short. That's a new striker, a new CDM, a new right back and you still have three places left!
Well I was maybe being a bit provocative. Both of us are right really. We should have a bigger squad but GOD and Tylr deserve to be classed as first team players, while Joseph and Bate clearly are. It's not obligatory to fill the 22 man squad and there's no point recruiting older players just for the sake of it if they won't get a game.

Goalkeepers -

1. Simon Eastwood
2. Ed McGinty

U21s -

1. Lewis Bate
2. Kyle Joseph
3. Stephan Negru
4. Teddy Mfuni

Then the likes of youth team players like Tyler Goodrham & Gatlin O’Donkor.

Players out on loan/left -

1. Oisin Smyth
2. Steve Seddon
3. Jack Stevens
4. John Mousinho
5. Ben Davis
Goodrham is no longer a youth team player.
He is too old to play for the Youth Team I believe, so is in the squad regardless of his age

He is too old to play for the Youth Team I believe, so is in the squad regardless of his age
Ah. He is still listed on the OWS as being in the under 21's for 22/23.

Not that we should take that as gospel, since apparently Mous is still available to play for us as a defender and both Negru and Mfuni are first team squad players - I don't think any of us have counted them in the '22'!!!

He is 19 , should definitely be looking to press for a place in a league one side as hopefully has ambitions to go higher

I think this is about squad places though. In League 1, you can register up to 22 players over the age of 21 (excluding goalkeepers), so even if we had registered 22 outfield players over the age of 21, Goodrham could be in the squad.

It's really about how few senior professionals we have.

I think this is about squad places though. In League 1, you can register up to 22 players over the age of 21 (excluding goalkeepers), so even if we had registered 22 outfield players over the age of 21, Goodrham could be in the squad.

It's really about how few senior professionals we have.

Correct.

Tyler comes under U21.

Back
Top Bottom