Fan's View Pitch Invasions

I love that I see thousands of the paying fans, who passionately care, celebrating with the players. Why is the players joy considered more important ? Why can’t it be equal?
But the fans have their area to celebrate: the stands. They're rushing onto the pitch invading the player's area. The pitch isn't for them, they're not a player. They didn't kick a ball. They might have sang, but they did that from the terraces, so stay there to celebrate when the full-time whistle goes. It's really not that difficult.

The Villa keeper was very clearly pushed by one fan. Not sure how you can miss that through 6 views? Also the only footage that I've seen released shows a Sheffield United player stamp/kick a fan once with no context as to how this started.

The incidents may be isolated and clearly involve a very small minority, but rewriting history to make your point is not helpful.
Very clearly pushed? You mean brushed or bumped into at absolute most, not assaulted or attacked, nothing malicious or violent there whatsoever.

And 2 videos released showing a fan being kicked whilst on the floor more than once, so not sure how you can miss that? That's act of violence on a fan from a player, not sure what prior context is required, or did you ask the same question for the players who have been involved in incidents too, did you need prior context? I notice Patrick Vieira kicking a fan for swearing at him was brushed under the carpet swiftly. Another act of violence on a fan.

Interesting how one can "rewrite history" to suit an agenda isn't it? Not helpful at all...

Some organised stewarding and directions for opposition staff and players to head down the tunnel at full time and much of this is solved.

Last edited:
The reason I say it comes down to cancel culture stems from having German connections and watching football in Germany as a home and away fan.

Drinking beer - Banned in England due to the minority who might ruin it. Germany, focus on punishing the minority who drink too much, but don't punish the majority of well behaved fans who can drink and behave (and plenty can't!)

Standing and return of safe standing - Banned in top tiers of England and facing long process to reinstate due to a minority who could ruin it. Germany, traditional terracing, despite plenty of fan incidents and occasional violence, they do not punish the majority by banning it, they punish the minority and let rest enjoy it.

Pitch invasions - England calls to ban them. Germany, they can lead to violence at times but they focus on punishing the minority, not the majority who enjoy them sensibly like Stuttgart surviving on the final day.

It's football culture, you can treat it how you want to, I prefer the German methods personally.

Port vale fans were on the pitch celebrating a semi final win! Never seen that before, they have achieved nothing yet.

Pulls pin
Good to see that we have now moved on from Leyton Orient.....
Casually tosses grenade and walks away

Last edited:
Cancel culture is rife. Celebratory pitch invasions have been part and parcel of English football for 100 years.
Yet after a few incidents in 2022 they have to be banned?

Yes running onto the pitch is illegal but that has always been waived to allow the fantastic outpouring emotions at an end of season game or huge achievement.

I thought after events of the past we had moved on from blaming all football fans for the actions of an individual. Tens of thousands of fans entered the pitch in various matches around the country in the past week and celebrated impeccably. They ran on to celebrate with their players, players were seen on fans shoulders having a great time singing and celebrating.

This happens every season and it's a joy to watch. There'll always be a couple of idiots amongst thousands.

The referee and opposition are often straight down the tunnel with the help of stewards, but in these games where incidents have occured the stewards are nowhere to be seen. Often spread around the perimeter to "stop" a pitch invasion but just letting fans through anyway. Why can't they simply arrange 11 stewards to run on to guide the players off? Why can't they be on the field during a penalty shootout? Or ready to run on and guide a team off?

The security teams never act on these occasions, surely that's what they are employed for? Would take the bare minimum in terms of organising pre-match.

And as for the Villa keeper "incident" today, I've watched it back 6 times and not one City fan touches him. City fans celebrated in good spirit as far as I watched.

The Forest fan has been jailed, and we are waiting to see what happens to the Sheffield United striker who kicked a forest fan multiple times on the floor, but that somehow got very little news time. The same can be said for Patrick Vieira kicking an Everton fan who swore at him, why was the opposition manager going onto the pitch from his dugout to mix with fans? Why the need to react violently? The media and pundits brushed it straight under the carpet along with the McBurnie incident.

Deal with isolated incidents and move on without crying to cancel every last shred of emotion football actually has left.
Violent incidents (sadly) happen up and down the UK in town centres every day, no public outcry. Happens at a football match, public outcry. People love to demonise football fans because they hold pre-conceptions about them. No one is excusing the actions but the media love demonising football supporters.

Port vale fans were on the pitch celebrating a semi final win! Never seen that before, they have achieved nothing yet.

And some from our side did for an equaliser against Northwich Victoria in 2009 for a game that in the end meant nothing. A number of fans seriously embarrassed themselves and the club that day. I recall one div on the old TiU site who admitted to going on the pitch saying they were simply 'overexcited'. I love it when we score but I know not to go on the pitch. You do have control of your faculties to 1. not move away from your seat, 2. allow your feet to move to the pitch and clamber over a barrier and 3. run across the turf some distance. Their excuse was utterly feeble. (The pitch invasions for Rushden and Wycombe went without incident I should add.)

EDIT. This is a better video of that day. Good ol' Billy Turley - achieving far more than any steward did (1m 18secs).

I think the recent pitch invasions are down to an overall decline in fan behaviour in recent years. Poundland psychologists will say it's pent up post-lockdown aggression coming out - I put it down to drink and drunks, copycat behaviour from those who have gone before and narcissistic, 'lock what I just did' preening from those who can't go five seconds without filming themselves on their phone.

The behaviour of one fan in the Notts Forest v Leicester City FA Cup game got this one started. To the vast majority, it shocked everyone to see a fan run on the pitch and attack a player. To others, it's not seen as something you can do. You may not get away with it, but hey - why not deck a player? You'd be the talk of the town! Pitch invasions have been part of football for a while now and most pass without incident. They're an outpouring of joy in the main for staying up, getting promoted, achieving a feat or saying goodbye to a stadium. Now, there's an unsettling minority whose first response is to run on the pitch and goad opposition players to get a reaction (Everton fan v Vieira) or to actively assault a player (Olsen vs Man City fans, Swindon players vs Vale fans, Billy Sharp cowardly headbutted by a Forest fan.

I don't know what the solution is. More internal lifetime bans of perpetrators would be a good start but I fear the vast majority of fans who can behave themselves including in pitch invasions will be the ones to suffer from the behaviour of an increasingly dangerous and stupid minority.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a "rogues gallery" in the Oxford Mail after the Northwich game? Loads of people of all ages, shapes and sizes got banned as I recall.

Didn’t Jack Grealish get a smack from a Birmingham fan a couple of seasons ago. Not sure what happened to him in terms of punishment.

"Cancel Culture".... :rolleyes:

Times have changed, the pitch invasion used to be a common thing in Cricket but was stopped in 2001, we haven't had celebratory pitch invasions in football as a massive thing for years (well, either that or we've been a bit rubbish for about 20 years, which, granted, is probably more the case 🤣). I remember doing it myself back in 1985 when Langan fired us into the top flight, and after some of the big cup games in the early to mid 80s, but it had pretty much died out by the time the 90s came around, there wasn't an invasion when we won promotion in the 90s after the Peterborough win from what I recall.

It's a natural tribal gene, that's ingrained in man since time began.

But all fans are ALREADY banned from going on the pitch so your example makes no sense.
But vehicles are ALREADY banned from speeding? It still happens, it still leads to incidents. Last time I checked, we tend to ban and punish the individual drivers, we don't ban everyone else from driving on the M4 :)

If you wish to punish the majority for the actions of a minority then go ahead, but you can't complain if two drunken idiots fight in the North Stand next season and it leads to games behind closed doors... oh wait, you probably would complain!

"Cancel Culture".... :rolleyes:

Times have changed, the pitch invasion used to be a common thing in Cricket but was stopped in 2001, we haven't had celebratory pitch invasions in football as a massive thing for years (well, either that or we've been a bit rubbish for about 20 years, which, granted, is probably more the case 🤣). I remember doing it myself back in 1985 when Langan fired us into the top flight, and after some of the big cup games in the early to mid 80s, but it had pretty much died out by the time the 90s came around, there wasn't an invasion when we won promotion in the 90s after the Peterborough win from what I recall.
Screenshot_2022-05-23-08-47-52-78_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7~2.jpgpromotion 2015/16

Back
Top Bottom