Retained list

In my mind they are included. I think KR would like a really strong first XI, with a very good bench able to cover injuries, which makes 18 squad players so far. And then the U23s, with maybe one or two of those guys making the bench to cover the guys that are covering injuries in the XI.

I could be wrong, but there's a lot of talk this season about 'quality over quantity', and giving young players a real shot at first team action.

They were announced by the club as under 23 players, part of the squad we are building up to compete against other such squads.
We need a clear distinction between that squad and a separate first team squad of no less than 23.

In my mind they are included. I think KR would like a really strong first XI, with a very good bench able to cover injuries, which makes 18 squad players so far. And then the U23s, with maybe one or two of those guys making the bench to cover the guys that are covering injuries in the XI.

I could be wrong, but there's a lot of talk this season about 'quality over quantity', and giving young players a real shot at first team action.

They can't be included, surely? That would mean only 3 more signings, which would leave us incredibly light. I think the quality over quantity bit applies to the squad and not the first 11.

I'm expecting 6-8 more first team signings, and will be very disappointed if that's not the case.

They can't be included, surely? That would mean only 3 more signings, which would leave us incredibly light. I think the quality over quantity bit applies to the squad and not the first 11.

I'm expecting 6-8 more first team signings, and will be very disappointed if that's not the case.

I don't think they are included in what Robinson said. As the first team manager, I would expect Robinson to be commenting on first team affairs, rather than a squad he's not directly in charge of. Sure, there's an element of overlap and cooperation between squads, but his focus will have been on establishing his squad for the upcoming season. Looking at the first team squad at the moment, I think we need to sign another 6 or so as well.

You also have to remember that Allen said the under 23 squad will be comprised of 10-12 players, with others from the first team, like young pros not getting much game time and youth team players, who may be able to make the step up. It would be a good test for them. So if the base is going to be between 10 and 12, we still need to sign several players to complete that squad alone.

So baring in mind both squads are currently incomplete, it would be impossible to complete both with another 5 signings. Which is why, like you said, they can't be included. Or I'd be amazed if they are.

Back
Top Bottom