Ex Player Rob Dickie

Just think of the graphs! I already mock the children on their poor choice of teams. Mostly West Mids teams.

I would think going to QPR rather than other perhaps more glamorous destinations is much more to do with location to existing home/family than anything else. Lives in Wokingham, straight on to M4 is a doddle.
He will be getting more money wherever he decides. Just a question of least disruption

The question of a sell on clause is interesting - in these COVID times we may prefer more money up front rather than a % of his next move.

Can see people complaining eitherway; if we sell for 'only' 2mil with a decent clausee been robbed, but if we get 3 or 4mil with no clause Tiger will get stick in a few years if/when Dickie gets a PL move.

Along with Baptiste, would say Dickie has probably the most potential out of our players so I'd say its quite realistic to expect him to get a decent transfer in a few years. Hopefully can find a happy medium of a good up front fee + sell on, but wouldn't be surprised to see us leaning more toward the up front aspect.

The question of a sell on clause is interesting - in these COVID times we may prefer more money up front rather than a % of his next move.
Whether or not Reading are due a sell-on from us will be interesting. If they are it could knock several hundred grand off the amount we actually receive and keep, so they’ll have to factor that in to their thinking. If there is one.

What will be will be on that front. Whatever the fee is in the event that he’s sold (I really don’t see how he can’t / won’t be) will be what the club deems the best deal available. Hopefully the player very publicly being left out of a match, and the talk in the press of offers formally going in, might still trigger another club or two to jump in. Every little helps.

The reason given for his exclusion yesterday doesn't sit right. There has been transfer rumour all summer and he's got on with the job in hand like a true pro,why only now would it be thought it had got to him or wasn't helping.Until someone coughs up the required amount suitable for all concerned then he should be treated as captain and a vital part of the upcoming season for our club.

The reason given for his exclusion yesterday doesn't sit right. There has been transfer rumour all summer and he's got on with the job in hand like a true pro,why only now would it be thought it had got to him or wasn't helping.Until someone coughs up the required amount suitable for all concerned then he should be treated as captain and a vital part of the upcoming season for our club.
I imagine a firm offer has been made and is likely to be accepted/ has already been accepted and once the player agrees terms it will be announced.

Well if it's more likely than not that he will be going, then I think the decision was right. We have to give the players/team most likely to be playing the meaningful games some time playing together on the pitch. IF Dickie isn't sold then him slotting back into place next to Moore wouldn't take much - they were playing together just a couple of weeks ago.

I imagine a firm offer has been made and is likely to be accepted/ has already been accepted and once the player agrees terms it will be announced.

Could well be the case but then that sounds similar to accepting the first offer, rumours suggested up to 5 clubs had shown interest and normally in these circumstances the buying club tests the water so to speak. Just hope we're doing some hard negotiating

They never used To when they were at Elms park it’s only since someone spent money that they got interested and got premiership but if they were relegated to league 1 as they were looking good for that a couple of seasons back, there attendances wouldn’t have been much more than ours if that.

I’ve mentioned it on here before that we moved at a stinker of a time for the club. Our last season at the Manor was terrible and we barely improved as a lower division for our debut season at the Kassam. Throw in a further four seasons where we lurched from functional under Atkins, dysfunctional under Rix and Diaz and in further decline under Talbot, and we lost a hell of a lot of momentum in drawing new fans to the club. We can pin a lot of that on Kassam of course. Nevertheless, we do draw better crowds in this division now than we did as a third tier club at the Manor in the 90s. The direction of travel is positive and with the continued right approaches we can turn those 7000-8000 attendances into regular 8500-10,000 more often. Let’s not forget that in the run up to Christmas we had three over 10,000+ matches in a row.

As for Dickie (for it is he that this thread is about), every fan is bound to overinflate the value of their own player. We all did it with Baptiste as we griped and moaned that £3m or so wasn’t enough. Some perspective shows that he was a player with 25 odd appearances to his name, two major injuries and no appearances any higher than League 1. £3m for that? Actually pretty decent.

As a League 1 club, the players you sell on have a definite ceiling. Players from this level aren’t going to be bringing in eight figure numbers but can bring in very significant seven figure numbers (with sell ons helping out too). Discard Sunderland’s desperate attempt at unloading all their ex-PL flops and you have a who’s who of really talented players who have moved on from League 1 clubs - Fabian Delph, Dele Alli, Ademola Lookman, Callum Wilson, Harry Maguire. Is Dickie in that bracket of player yet? Probably not and his fee will reflect that. It will be good but I’ve resigned myself to a realistic £2m-£2.5m with add ons.

Well if it's more likely than not that he will be going, then I think the decision was right. We have to give the players/team most likely to be playing the meaningful games some time playing together on the pitch. IF Dickie isn't sold then him slotting back into place next to Moore wouldn't take much - they were playing together just a couple of weeks ago.

My point was that was also the case in the week though and we're not normally shy about getting other teams players fit :)

The talk of aggreive bids for a player with 9 months remaining on his contract is also a concern, like i said i really hope we don't once again get our trousers pulled down and are negotiating hard.

Which transfers have we had our trousers pulled down on regarding the fees, and what valuation would you have had for them?

You know me by now i look at the overall picture, timing and the Long term view. an example being 700k against the ££££ that promotion would bring.

i've said it enough times,there's nothing wrong with building a squad, staying together with the odd tinker for 2/3 seasons and having a proper go

How many times has promotion been within touching distance and how many times as a club has some decision been made/or not made that affected that?.

Anyway looks like it's no Deal so you and i are able to post for a little longer

I know everyone keeps going on about who is a bigger club than us but do you think players really care about that as a priority when moving?

QPR are a good solid championship club that if managed correctly could have a top half finish.
Dickie will triple his wage, still be close to home and get regular game time. That is more important for his development than going to a lower end premier league club and sitting on the bench for at least 6 months and it could have an opposite affect on his long term career if he doesn’t hit the ground running.

IMO it is a sensible move for him.

I know everyone keeps going on about who is a bigger club than us but do you think players really care about that as a priority when moving?

QPR are a good solid championship club that if managed correctly could have a top half finish.
Dickie will triple his wage, still be close to home and get regular game time. That is more important for his development than going to a lower end premier league club and sitting on the bench for at least 6 months and it could have an opposite affect on his long term career if he doesn’t hit the ground running.

You make a valid point but regards bench warming he is either Championship quality or better or he isn't, he also doesn't strike me as someone who chases the money either.
if he is good enough then he plays in any Championship team, Sean Dyche is proabably a good judge of a defender and if Burnley a premiership club wanted him i doubt it was to bench warm.

Absolutely agree.

Imagine if somebody offered to triple your yearly salary, for doing the same job you do now for a bigger company, and which is probably slightly closer to your house than your current office for good measure. On what planet would anybody turn that down?

In no other walk of life than football would anybody question a scenario like that, or try to make out like the logical choice is to stay put.

You make a valid point but regards bench warming he is either Championship quality or better or he isn't, he also doesn't strike me as someone who chases the money either.
if he is good enough then he plays in any Championship team, Sean Dyche is proabably a good judge of a defender and if Burnley a premiership club wanted him i doubt it was to bench warm.

Burnley, Newcastle and even West Brom are interested in him but they don’t see him as a regular starter yet. QPR do, that’s the difference.

My worry is we seem to be selling too many of our assets per season, we’ve sold 4 this year, Whyte, Baptist, Fosu and now Dickie potentially, could have been so different if we’d have beaten Wycombe, fine margins

Back
Top Bottom