Conference Stockport county

Proper clubs?????
I think people are forgetting the roots & history of the beautiful game. Give me a choice of going to watch Oxford play one of the so called sh***y clubs, or the greedy over rated big match Charlie clubs, that's ruined the game.I know where I'd rather go at the weekends.

Delighted Stockport are back. Hopefully Wrexham too as they’ve proved they are ready.
It is certainly competitive.
Agreed Fleetwood and Salford are tinpot. Wycombe and Sutton have pedigree.
Accrington are there on merit even though they have low resources. Forest Green and Harrogate continue to progress as do Morecambe.
We were there once and we should not forget that

Delighted Stockport are back. Hopefully Wrexham too as they’ve proved they are ready.
It is certainly competitive.
Agreed Fleetwood and Salford are tinpot. Wycombe and Sutton have pedigree.
Accrington are there on merit even though they have low resources. Forest Green and Harrogate continue to progress as do Morecambe.
We were there once and we should not forget that

I hope Wrexham don't do it this year but they will. People who are complaining about Fleetwood and Salford being tinpot (they are) yet Wrexham have been turned into Hollywood FC which is equally tinpot.

I hope Wrexham don't do it this year but they will. People who are complaining about Fleetwood and Salford being tinpot (they are) yet Wrexham have been turned into Hollywood FC which is equally tinpot.

Our owners make us one of the 10 richest clubs in the country taking into account wealth, for arguments sake does that make us tinpot when we have a top 3 budget come August?

I think tapping into modern culture and using the wealth Reynolds/McElhenny have earned isn't necessarily tinpot. OK, it's not traditional, but it's not like they've chosen a Salford (a la class of 92) or a Fleetwood to bankroll. They've chosen a club with a strong history and good fanbase for no other reason than wanting to build something for the local community. Fair play to them.

I think tapping into modern culture and using the wealth Reynolds/McElhenny have earned isn't necessarily tinpot. OK, it's not traditional, but it's not like they've chosen a Salford (a la class of 92) or a Fleetwood to bankroll. They've chosen a club with a strong history and good fanbase for no other reason than wanting to build something for the local community. Fair play to them.
Agree there, Wrexham are a very old club too with a long history.

Our owners make us one of the 10 richest clubs in the country taking into account wealth, for arguments sake does that make us tinpot when we have a top 3 budget come August?

Is this true? Can we expect a top 3 budget? (I'm excited if so!)

Stevenage also are a club that should be in non Lge. Tinpot!!
But to be fair their growth into the league was organic enough, it wasn't a supercharged hobby club like FGR, Fleetwood, Salford, Dorking, Fylde, Boreham Wood...

Looks like Stockport have got their ground situation sorted out.
I remember there being an issue with the rugby club owning the ground when we last played them when they got relegated.

"Edgeley Park is an all-seater stadium holding 10,900 spectators. Stockport County shared it with Sale Sharks rugby union club between 2003 and 2012.

In 2015, Stockport Council purchased the stadium for around £2 million, leasing it back to the football club, in order to prevent it from being demolished and redeveloped."

Nice to have a co-operative friendly council on the club's side.

It isn't the wealth*, it is the rubbish around it. The TV show planned/organised from the off, it was bad enough with Man City and Sunderland. They are already ridiculously talking about getting into the Premier Lg and were doing so at the start of this season, something the class of '92 or Pilley at Fleetwood never did. From what I've read there is an arrogance coming out of the club that they deserve promotion because they have money, which is rubbish.

And the media w*nkfest over them is ridiculous and will only get worse if promoted. The coverage Forest Green got when promoted into the FL will be nothing in comparison. And sadly the coverage won't be about the football but the owners.

*Whilst they have spent silly money, L1 wages and over £1m in transfer fees if media reports are believed, they aren't the only ones with Stockport, Notts Co etc doing likewise. I'd genuinely laugh if Halifax won the play offs but sadly they won't.

Is this true? Can we expect a top 3 budget? (I'm excited if so!)

Won't really know until next Jan (we jumped from 8th to 5th this year after our January business) but yes.

It isn't the wealth*, it is the rubbish around it. The TV show planned/organised from the off, it was bad enough with Man City and Sunderland. They are already ridiculously talking about getting into the Premier Lg and were doing so at the start of this season, something the class of '92 or Pilley at Fleetwood never did. From what I've read there is an arrogance coming out of the club that they deserve promotion because they have money, which is rubbish.

And the media w*nkfest over them is ridiculous and will only get worse if promoted. The coverage Forest Green got when promoted into the FL will be nothing in comparison. And sadly the coverage won't be about the football but the owners.

*Whilst they have spent silly money, L1 wages and over £1m in transfer fees if media reports are believed, they aren't the only ones with Stockport, Notts Co etc doing likewise. I'd genuinely laugh if Halifax won the play offs but sadly they won't.

But I think this is just the world we live in. They have the means, money and opportunity to find a way into the football league and arguably make the club sustainable (large non league crowds, TV money etc.). Ok they've had a headstart with their owners being who they are, but everything I've read and heard makes it seem a lot better than some of the other nonsense owners out there.

With regards to the coverage, I think we all thought that about Salford which I feel has dried up pretty quickly. Portsmouth and Eisner + his Disney money the same. I think its so difficult to keep and maintain longer term, that either they'll run out of cash and the owners will lose interest or they'll grow naturally to a point where they find their natural spot in the league.

The 2 major clubs springing to mind re: bankrolling most recently being Swansea and Bournemouth and they've found their spot in the Championship, although Bournemouth I'd still argue should be L1 with the financial aspects of their club etc.

Not that I disagree entirely, the media circus does detract in some ways from the roots of the game and controversially (and Im sure I'll get hate for this) considering our 'glory years' came off the back of Maxwell stealing thousands of peoples pensions, not that I'm old enough to remember it, I don't think they're going about it in the worst way. Far worse at the top of the pyramid and what Sky/BT sports have done and continue to do.

You’re going to get people all upset if you carry on talking about spending power.

When we finish 3rd next season and bottle the play offs I'm sure someone can quote me.

*but we'll score lots of goals so it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom