Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One game proves very little of course - especially with an incomplete squad (although presumably you can say the same about the opposition!).

But as a more general point, it does rather concern me when lower league managers insist on playing possession based, play it out from the back at all costs football - for two reasons. Firstly it makes you completely predictable. As an opposition team there are some possibilities you don't even have to consider catering for, which makes it much easier for your team. Secondly, while it might work in the Prem, the quality of player in L1 is simply not the same. Which can make it both risky and ineffective - especially if done as slowly as we seemed to do it on Saturday.

Of course, I know that's how LM likes his teams to play - but I hope he learns quickly that having options is necessary. Being out-thought in the first match of the season is not a good start.

Short bursts. Indeed. He is a tidy footballer with a lovely close control and the knack of keeping the ball stuck to his feet and maintaining possession in tight spaces. Not to be sniffed at.

But how often does he pick it up in deep positions and then gallop up the pitch through multiple challenges, turning defence into attack?

When McGuane picks up the ball in a deep position he may beat one man tidely, but then he is likely to turn (turn again) and lay it off (or draw a foul). All very nice, but not what we're talking about here.

We're talking about someone whose first instinct is to move with the ball at pace up the pitch with energy and purpose. That isn't McGuane even if we would like it to be.

There is space in the squad to have exactly the right player for the right job.

We need to stop expecting existing players to loosely perform very specific roles that they're unsuited for.
And, to be fair, Cam hasn’t been that player either recently.

Then we should leave well alone if we’re dragging our feet maybe it could be because the lad has attitude…and do we want someone with attitude
If he had an attitude we wouldn’t be dragging our feet, we would be pulling the plug. We’ve been interested in him all summer. To still be considering signing him we must be pretty convinced he isn’t a troublemaker, so I’m not sure where this has all come from.

Feels like even if the deal gets done some people have already decided they don’t like him and will be straight on his back.

Although we obviously need another striker I'm not sure Marriott is the answer. It's not that I'd be unhappy with his experience and poaching ability, and initially I thought that's what we were lacking up front as well.

After watching the Cambridge game, I thought Harris had the potential to be a handful, his movement off the ball to get in behind is good and he's seriously quick. What good are those traits when we are playing a team with 10 men behind the ball and we're in a tough physical battle on a small pitch?

I It was screaming out for someone to hold the ball up and bring in Rodrigues, Goodhram, Browne, Brannagan etc. I think we need a physical target man who the others can feed off, much like Ryan Taylor. Sometimes we would make 20 passes without making any progress, whilst Cambridge would stick it into their target man, pop it off and be attacking our back 4 in 2/3 passes. We need to be able to mix it up otherwise we become slow and predictable and that's easy to defend against.

A couple of fullbacks who are willing to overlap to the byline would stop our wingers getting doubled up on. If I had the time I could screenshot so many occasions from that game where Browne held the ball on the wing, drew their full back miles out and left acres of space to exploit down the wing, only for Brown to sit behind him like a statue only wanting a back pass where it then ends up with our centre backs after that and they get back into shape. Will hold judgement to see if Stevens can do that on the right as Sam Long was equally scared of getting forward and seems a shadow of the marauding fullback we saw he was capable of once.
I could not agree with this assessment any more strongly.

Burey deal was always going to fall through. Too much time has passed considering when we went in for him meaning there are issues with the fee or the player is stalling. Not too bothered as there are several other targets out there who are proven at this level if that's the sort of money we are willing to spend.

Assuming the Burey deal is now dead, I hope we move on and secure our next target quickly.

No. If anything Nixon’s latest comments imply that it’s us dragging our feet.
Exactly, no-one knows if we're still in negotiations or not. I genuinely find it baffling how people sit and moan about rumours as if they are facts. Let's just see what Waldron and Manning come up with, it has been a decent transfer window for us so I think they have earned that.

Burey deal was always going to fall through. Too much time has passed considering when we went in for him meaning there are issues with the fee or the player is stalling. Not too bothered as there are several other targets out there who are proven at this level if that's the sort of money we are willing to spend.
If any of this talk about Burey is true, if it‘s the player not wanting to drop to the league below, fine. But, he’s not getting any game time in the Championship for a reason. So he could probably end up going somewhere on transfer deadline day where he‘s being brought in as a panic loan/buy. That was our way of working under Robinson.

If he had an attitude we wouldn’t be dragging our feet, we would be pulling the plug. We’ve been interested in him all summer. To still be considering signing him we must be pretty convinced he isn’t a troublemaker, so I’m not sure where this has all come from.

Feels like even if the deal gets done some people have already decided they don’t like him and will be straight on his back.
Not a case of whether I like him or not but I do remember MAPP chasing Tyrone barnet all January and he certainly weren’t interested. So what would be your reasoning for the club to be dragging their heels if it’s true what Nixon has said?

Then we should leave well alone if we’re dragging our feet maybe it could be because the lad has attitude…and do we want someone with attitude

f**k me baz, us dragging our feet means the poor lad has an attitude now? That makes no sense at all.

Not a case of whether I like him or not but I do remember MAPP chasing Tyrone barnet all January and he certainly weren’t interested. So what would be your reasoning for the club to be dragging their heels if it’s true what Nixon has said?
Did Barnett have an attitude problem, or did he just accept a better offer? Do we know that Barnett wasn’t very open about that the entire time and Appleton was the one who waited when he shouldn’t have? Do we know it was Barnett’s fault?

It’s the implications that Burey must think he’s above us or is some sort of bad apple that I’m a bit uncomfortable with. Nobody knows much if anything about him as a person, but I think it’s very unlikely that if he were some sort of jumped up twerp who thinks we’re beneath him that Liam Manning would’ve been chasing him for several months. He’s exclusively signed players this summer who appear to get their heads down and work hard, so it would be really strange if the player he’s been chasing the longest is the opposite of that.

Maybe we’re the ones who like him but not enough to get the deal done? Maybe we’ve been trying to stall in case a preferred target became available, such as Marriott? We haven’t yet been able to offload a couple of players who are on good money - maybe we don’t have the budget to get the deal done cleanly unless someone goes first, hence Nixon’s comments about the details being very fiddly and questioning whether we really want to get it done? Maybe we want Burey plus another but can only afford one of them if people don’t leave?

Once you get tainted with the bad attitude tag anything that happens can be thrown against you, it’s like trying to prove you are not mad.

No one actually has any proof of this bad attitude but people are still going on like he has walked off the pitch after half an hour and taken match ball with him.

f**k me baz, us dragging our feet means the poor lad has an attitude now? That makes no sense at all.
It was mentioned when Burey was first mooted as a transfer target so keep up dear boy, then there was talk he didn’t want to come here permanently and now we apparently have offered a loan deal the club are dragging their heals according to Nixon

Godden would be a great signing at this level.

Ah didn't see it said he is signing a new deal at Coventry instead!

Short bursts. Indeed. He is a tidy footballer with a lovely close control and the knack of keeping the ball stuck to his feet and maintaining possession in tight spaces. Not to be sniffed at.

But how often does he pick it up in deep positions and then gallop up the pitch through multiple challenges, turning defence into attack?

When McGuane picks up the ball in a deep position he may beat one man tidely, but then he is likely to turn (turn again) and lay it off (or draw a foul). All very nice, but not what we're talking about here.

We're talking about someone whose first instinct is to move with the ball at pace up the pitch with energy and purpose. That isn't McGuane even if we would like it to be.

There is space in the squad to have exactly the right player for the right job.

We need to stop expecting existing players to loosely perform very specific roles that they're unsuited for.
Agree. Also, he is completely one footed that's why he quite often ends up turning back or going round in a circle. He wants to keep the ball on his right foot all the time, even for dribbling.
Cam and JM will happily use both feet although both were ineffective on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom