Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need another new signing to bring this thread back to topic. It's just not f*****g acceptable the amount of s**t people spread on the transfer thread

🙂

Marriott starts for Fleetwood tonight, shame, I was looking forward to seeing him score our winner at Wembley this year.

Plenty of quality available on loan. Parrott and Scarlett just a couple who will go out on loan in the coming weeks. Wonder if we've pulled out of the Burey deal in the hope of better becoming available.
My point was The fact we've been linked with marriot and matt godden shows me we're trying to get an experienced striker and there now aren't many left (matt godden is set to sign a new deal with coventry, if he hasn't already)

Alan Nixon has reported that we have pulled out for burey

I’d disagree about McGuane not being that player. He is a powerful player who has shown he can make short sharp bursts with the ball when played further up.

I think though with our midfielders and their passing ability it is more important to have over lapping full backs who can overload the other team’s fullbacks.

I think Mills and RR will be massive players this season as will Stevens when he gets up to pace.
I think the problem with McGuane is that he doesn't have the vision/skill/desire/bravery (not sure which) to make an incisive pass forward when he makes one of his forward runs.

Short bursts. Indeed. He is a tidy footballer with a lovely close control and the knack of keeping the ball stuck to his feet and maintaining possession in tight spaces. Not to be sniffed at.

But how often does he pick it up in deep positions and then gallop up the pitch through multiple challenges, turning defence into attack?

When McGuane picks up the ball in a deep position he may beat one man tidely, but then he is likely to turn (turn again) and lay it off (or draw a foul). All very nice, but not what we're talking about here.

We're talking about someone whose first instinct is to move with the ball at pace up the pitch with energy and purpose. That isn't McGuane even if we would like it to be.

There is space in the squad to have exactly the right player for the right job.

We need to stop expecting existing players to loosely perform very specific roles that they're unsuited for.
Exactly

Agree. Also, he is completely one footed that's why he quite often ends up turning back or going round in a circle. He wants to keep the ball on his right foot all the time, even for dribbling.
Cam and JM will happily use both feet although both were ineffective on Saturday.
Very true.

I don’t believe that we were seriously after Godden but if we were, it seems we haven’t learned our lesson about wasting time on players we are never going to get.

I must admit to feeling downcast about the season a bit already , only one game but centre backs bullied/ slow, midfield weak physically , hopeful punts or slow slow passes across the lines .
Hopefully it's just the weather.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom