Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media done yesterday. Don't expect to hear an announcement at 11am today, or even 12pm. It'll likely come after that and could extend in tomorrow, depending on when Ipswich give us permission to announce it.

I also hear he'll have a totally new number, as he couldn't have the 3 or 21 because I have it on good authority that they're in use. From what I've heard it might have a 2 or a 3 in it.

Last edited:
It’s possible that Manning used 3 at the back at MK due to the balance of their squad.

It may work for us closing a game out, but why on earth would we play 3 from the start. What would we do with all the wingers?

We are far better served as a squad playing the current formation.

Top sources now seem to be corroborating the idea that "the media" was indeed done yesterday.

Some disagreement over whether the announcement will come at 11am today (missed it), 12pm today (oops) or even "later than that".

Stay tuned for more information as we receive it.

I also hear he'll have a totally new number, as he couldn't have the 3 or 21 because I have it on good authority that they're in use.

Brown is currently number 3 and McGinty is 21. What do you mean by ‘have it on good authority’ when current squad members have those numbers? Are we expecting both to leave and those numbers to be used by new signings?

If so, Idris Kanu wears 21 for Sierra Leone 👀

Media done yesterday. Don't expect to hear an announcement at 11am today, or even 12pm. It'll likely come after that and could extend in tomorrow, depending on when Ipswich give us permission to announce it.

I also hear he'll have a totally new number, as he couldn't have the 3 or 21 because I have it on good authority that they're in use. From what I've heard it might have a 2 or a 3 in it.
So is the training with us then 🤔

why on earth would we play 3 from the start. What would we do with all the wingers?
He played a 343 during his good season at MK which sometimes saw the wingers pushed wide with the wing backs underlapping centrally. Other times the wingers were inverted as 10s and it became more of a 3421 with the wing backs overlapping on the outside. Sometimes he would invert the winger and overlap on one side and push the winger wide and underlap on the other side. Sometimes he would chop and change it multiple times in a game.

It’s good to have a manager who believes in more than dumping a load of wingers and 10s on the pitch and telling them to express themselves.

Very curious that, if Leigh signs, we seem to know about signings days in advance. Is this just the nature of the beast these days? I don't yearn for the Robinson days but I did like how we would sometimes get a signing that we hadn't known was coming in.
Are we just pretending UTO wasn’t a thing?

Oh boy, I really must stop with the attempted humour. Was it really too subtle? Writing at 12:30pm that we shouldn't expect to hear anything by 11am, and commenting that I have it on good authority that numbers 3 and 21 are already taken...

Last edited:
Oh boy, I really must stop with the attempted at humour. Was it really too subtle? Writing at 12:30pm that we shouldn't expect to hear anything by 11am, and commenting that I have it on good authority that numbers 3 and 21 are already taken...
Stop getting humour wrong!

It’s possible that Manning used 3 at the back at MK due to the balance of their squad.

It may work for us closing a game out, but why on earth would we play 3 from the start. What would we do with all the wingers?

We are far better served as a squad playing the current formation.
If we play 4 at the back where do we fit in all out centre backs? Likely Brown and Thorniley both miss out and it means we still have Sam Long playing who isn't good enough on the ball for what we're trying to do, as much as he tries his best and is alright defensively.

You can also play wingers with 3 at the back, although how many out and out wingers do we have? Mills seems like it and Browne is better out wide despite the insistence by Robinson that he could do a job as a number 10, thus negating his pace out wide but bringing his poor decision making more into the fold. Harris will be the striker, Leigh and Stevens essentially wide midfielders and then either wingers ahead of them or RR and Bodin tucked in a little more behind Harris.

Essentially all we'd be doing is swapping an attacking player from the 3 behind Harris for a full back. It might sound negative on the face of it but then we swap Brown and Long playing full back for Leigh and Stevens playing as wingbacks which I suggest more than makes up for any attacking impetus lost. For my money either of those is a better fit for what we have than 4 at the back.

Oh boy, I really must stop with the attempted at humour. Was it really too subtle? Writing at 12:30pm that we shouldn't expect to hear anything by 11am, and commenting that I have it on good authority that numbers 3 and 21 are already taken...
Are you suggesting that you are ITK about 3 & 21 being used. If so you need to stand up and say what you know about who is using them.

Makes me mad when ITK posters only tell half a story

If we play 4 at the back where do we fit in all out centre backs? Likely Brown and Thorniley both miss out and it means we still have Sam Long playing who isn't good enough on the ball for what we're trying to do, as much as he tries his best and is alright defensively.

You can also play wingers with 3 at the back, although how many out and out wingers do we have? Mills seems like it and Browne is better out wide despite the insistence by Robinson that he could do a job as a number 10, thus negating his pace out wide but bringing his poor decision making more into the fold. Harris will be the striker, Leigh and Stevens essentially wide midfielders and then either wingers ahead of them or RR and Bodin tucked in a little more behind Harris.

Essentially all we'd be doing is swapping an attacking player from the 3 behind Harris for a full back. It might sound negative on the face of it but then we swap Brown and Long playing full back for Leigh and Stevens playing as wingbacks which I suggest more than makes up for any attacking impetus lost. For my money either of those is a better fit for what we have than 4 at the back.
Even though he's played LWB for Ipswich, Leigh is definitely more suited to a back four. He's not a flying wing-back, but is a defender first who is more than capable on the ball. He is, dare I say it, in the Ciaron Brown mould of full-backs, albeit an upgrade in possession.

Leigh & Stevens
Brown & Long

As Gab Sutton on Twitter has alluded to:
2 more attacking full-backs.
2 more defensive.

Nice mix of options depending on opposition/game plan and with the 5 subs rule - the chance to change it up in a game if necessary.

Lunch at 1 done

Will not get to media until later when I sit my ass down and turn on TV.

All said and done hoping to be in bed by 10:30.

Stay tuned for more ITK updates.

Lunch at 1 done

Will not get to media until later when I sit my ass down and turn on TV.

All said and done hoping to be in bed by 10:30.

Stay tuned for more ITK updates.
Just to Clarify that is 10:30pm tonight but could be later depending on whether my Agent Mrs advises me of the chance of me getting lucky with another opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom