Ex-Staff Karl Robinson

I still can't get my head around the idea of this early termination clause as to how you can write in a clause for early termination for less than the full contract pay?
Found an article which explains how this might work - performance targets etc.
Mark, I think the easiest way to look at it is this:

Most managers fail eventually and leave their jobs before their contract ends. A large number of them later take up a new job.

When they’re sacked and still have x months contract to run, unless they’ve breached club rules and sacked without pay, the club need to pay them for the balance of their contract, or (as is done more commonly because poor results were achieved) they agree to pay a % or set number of months of the remaining contract.

When the manager is no longer a club employee, the club no longer pays into their pension or funds the employer’s national insurance costs. So instead of paying the manager, say, £5k pcm plus £2k towards pension & NI, they pay either £5k or a reduced amount.

It would seem the club did not include a poor results clause when KR left and he’s entitled to 100% of what his remaining contract is worth. The club will pay this each month to KR until the end of his contract, but not pay any pension or NI costs. The club will retain his FA licence to manage (just like a player’s registration) until the end of his contract and then return it to the FA.

Of course, if KR gets another full-time job before we’ve finished paying him, then he needs to return to discussions with the club about how he can get his licence. This will undoubtedly involve him reaching a settlement with the club at that stage so it’s in our interest for him to find another job soon and we can agree to pay him only a set % of future wages. KR will need to weigh this up when going for a new job, so if his new job pays him only half of what OUFC did then he’ll be asking for 50% of his future wages to be paid by us, just so he can break even.

The other scenario is that he has been put on gardening leave and remains a club employee until that changes, in this case we pay his pension, NI and wages. In this case we could ask him to do other work for the club (scouting, cleaning the loos etc).

They can be quite cock sure of themselves. I often get attendances thrown at me.
But most Pompey fans that I know are thinking like us. Yes it’s a good start but let’s wait till after Xmas to see where we are. Same as us.
Can't even count on Xmas. Let's face it, last time they even had Santa on their side and still couldn't make it.

Mark, I think the easiest way to look at it is this:

Most managers fail eventually and leave their jobs before their contract ends. A large number of them later take up a new job.

When they’re sacked and still have x months contract to run, unless they’ve breached club rules and sacked without pay, the club need to pay them for the balance of their contract, or (as is done more commonly because poor results were achieved) they agree to pay a % or set number of months of the remaining contract.

When the manager is no longer a club employee, the club no longer pays into their pension or funds the employer’s national insurance costs. So instead of paying the manager, say, £5k pcm plus £2k towards pension & NI, they pay either £5k or a reduced amount.

It would seem the club did not include a poor results clause when KR left and he’s entitled to 100% of what his remaining contract is worth. The club will pay this each month to KR until the end of his contract, but not pay any pension or NI costs. The club will retain his FA licence to manage (just like a player’s registration) until the end of his contract and then return it to the FA.

Of course, if KR gets another full-time job before we’ve finished paying him, then he needs to return to discussions with the club about how he can get his licence. This will undoubtedly involve him reaching a settlement with the club at that stage so it’s in our interest for him to find another job soon and we can agree to pay him only a set % of future wages. KR will need to weigh this up when going for a new job, so if his new job pays him only half of what OUFC did then he’ll be asking for 50% of his future wages to be paid by us, just so he can break even.

The other scenario is that he has been put on gardening leave and remains a club employee until that changes, in this case we pay his pension, NI and wages. In this case we could ask him to do other work for the club (scouting, cleaning the loos etc).
I can undertand not having the NIC once someone is no longer an employee, but if a manager was on say £200K per year, plus pension £20K and company car, they’d expect to be paid up contract + pension + benefits ?

I can undertand not having the NIC once someone is no longer an employee, but if a manager was on say £200K per year, plus pension £20K and company car, they’d expect to be paid up contract + pension + benefits ?
It’s just a fixed-term employment contract. The deal is whatever they sign. If the club says “We can terminate early for poor performance at a cost of six months’ pay or the remainder of your contract, whichever is of the lowest value at the time” and the manager agrees to it then that’s that. The average manager doesn’t even make it to two years with one club which means that in everyday life they wouldn’t even qualify for redundancy pay if they were let go, so if you’re a manager of a club for a year and you walk away with six months’ severance then you’ve done incredibly well versus Joe Bloggs. The club (employer) also sacrifices the ability to place the manager (employee) on probation and let them go for no reason at any time during that period, so it’s swings and roundabouts for all concerned.

It’s not a normal industry and the contracts often reflect that, in the same way that a player can’t just resign from their job and go and take another one elsewhere, even if their current employer is refusing to let them do their job which ultimately harms their earning potential moving forward. They have no right or ability to leave their place of employment what so ever until their contract expires.

And I've just turned down the opportunity from the Illuminati to have talks about making me the Emperor of Everything.
I told them you wouldn't be interested. I said he's not going to be up for that and, you know what? They laughed. Fools!

It's a double bluff, isn't it?

Certainly plenty of replies on twiX indicating supporter sighs of relief at 👎 of BCFC and the fate of other Lg 2 candidates

Last edited:
Pretty sure he was only ever on a short-term deal at Leeds, that was what Big Sam was on anyway.
Was on huge money though (with a big bonus attached on avoiding relegation)

Coupled to that us still paying him a fortune, and people wonder why he wouldn't resign despite very clearly no longer wanting the job itself....

Re: KR still being paid, didn’t his recent stint at Leeds mean we no longer need to pay him?

Re: KR still being paid, didn’t his recent stint at Leeds mean we no longer need to pay him?
No as he was due his pay off so the club have to pay it. They can either pay it in one lump sum or pay it over a period of time. The club are paying it over a period of time so it doesn’t matter if he gets another job or not.

Chelsea at one point were paying off several managers at the same time even when they had other jobs.

Occasionally there will be a clause in a contract that says that a player/manager will get the remainder of money due to them paid until they get another club but Robinson/the club didn’t have that in place.

No as he was due his pay off so the club have to pay it. They can either pay it in one lump sum or pay it over a period of time. The club are paying it over a period of time so it doesn’t matter if he gets another job or not.

Chelsea at one point were paying off several managers at the same time even when they had other jobs.

Occasionally there will be a clause in a contract that says that a player/manager will get the remainder of money due to them paid until they get another club but Robinson/the club didn’t have that in place.
What a hideous deal Tiger agreed to. No wonder we took so long to get rid of him when getting a new manager in meant paying for two. Williams wanted to hold onto him because he knew how much sacking him would f**k up his spreadsheets.

Back
Top Bottom