Matches The League 1 Promotion Run In

Well this is all going rather well suddenly. A truly excellent win last night for OUFC, and Wycombe, Plymouth and Sunderland will all now suddenly be nervous about the raging Ox coming up from 8th.

View attachment 8662

Things to note:

- What a win! When talking about us needing to win 4 from 4 to have a hope of still hitting the playoffs, in the back of my mind I always had MK as the point where we trip up and end our season. But here we are, still in with a shout, and the other games on last night in a weird way went in our favour (Wednesday aside).

- Let's start with Wednesday. They just keep getting results. Cross them off the list of teams to chase, there is no way they don't get 3 points from their final 3, and we actually want them to win on Saturday now against Wycombe.

- Speaking of Wycombe, we're now only 2 points behind with an easier run in. All we need is for them to drop points against one of Wednesday and Burton and we'll sit above them in the table come season end (assuming we win both our games). Whilst Wednesday seems the obvious game to watch out for for them to drop points, Burton have suddenly become a defensive force. In their last 4 games they've held Plymouth, Wigan and Accrington, and last night beat Rotherham, and didn't concede a single goal in all 4 games. If Wednesday fail to do their job, do not rule out Burton doing it for us instead by any means - another 0-0 in that game would do us perfectly.

- As I said yesterday, the other team we have a good chance of catching is Plymouth. Form has gone off a cliff, their PPG in the last 5 is lower than ours, and thanks to Ipswich, both Wigan and MK will have a lot to play for when they face Plymouth - Wigan still need to guarantee the title and MK will most likely be playing for the last automatic promotion spot. All we need is for Plymouth to not win both games and we'll finish above them (again, assuming we win our two).

- As for Sunderland... It feels unlikely that they'll fail to get 5 points from their 3 games, especially with their ridiculous knack for late goals recently. Since the beginning of March, all of their games have either finished 0-0 or with late Sunderland goals:
  • Against Fleetwood - 1-1 until the 82nd minute, scored again at 90+1
  • Against Crewe - 0-0 until the 84th minute, scored again 89th minute
  • Against Gillingham - 0-0 until a winner in the 95th minute
  • Against OUFC - 1-1 until a winner in the the 89th minute
  • Against Shrews - 2-2 until a winner in the 92nd minute
5 games with late goals to give Sunderland the 3 points. Unbeaten since mid February. Chances of them not getting 5 points v Cambridge, Rotherham and Morecambe? Very low. Don't entirely rule out catching them, but it's probably not worth getting frustrated by them if they get more late goals.

- Finally lets talk about Saturday's game. Rotherham looked to be doing what Rotherham always does - put in workmanlike performances all season, and get back to the Championship without too much fuss. But they seem to have completely swapped form with Sunderland since beginning of March and have dropped 5 points in 2 games against Shrewsbury, lost to MK, Charlton and Burton, drew with Wycombe and only picked up wins against Ipswich and Lincoln. They reached the final and won the Pizza trophy in that time too, but that doesn't matter one bit when OUFC come to town. Rotherham aren't just in bad form, they're in relegation level form and at the worst possible time. The players and fans will be panicking about throwing away the autos, and all we need to do is match the work rate and energy of the second half v MK and the first 20 minutes v Fleetwood and we'll comfortably win. As long as one of Sunderland or Plymouth fail to win that'll guarantee it is taken into the final day of the season where anything can happen. KEEP BELIEVING!
OUFC have a 85% chance of reaching 81 points? Really? Will you offer me equivalent odds of this not happening because if you will, I'm placing a very large bet!

I of course hope we do reach that target but the chances must be nearer 27% based on a 30% chance of beating Rotherham and a 90% chance of beating Doncaster if we need to on the last day.

Great win for your boys last night, I had a feeling even after we beat you that your race hadn’t yet been ran.

I wouldn’t rule out a Sunderland implosion yet either, even though results say different. We’re getting results without playing well, and as the late goals show, really have ridden our luck recently. On paper we should beat Cambridge and Morcambe and lose to Rotherham, but I wouldn’t put it past us to beat Rotherham and lose the other two.

If I was a betting man I’d say we will just miss out, but I’m hoping for a Wednesday win this weekend. Negatively though, I think Wycombe will bully Wednesday and get all the points. What a season though
Oh I do hope so! Your RTG Board would be a riot.

Love the fact that this thread now seems to have picked up at least one reasonable fan from all of our playoff rivals!

My random thought - I still wouldn't rule out Wednesday getting automatic promotion at this stage. Everyone's been a bit sketchy at times, but they seem to be in the best form of anyone (they are top of the six game form table).

If they can beat Wycombe (which we obviously hope that they will) at the weekend, then they could easily win their last three.
That would surely be too much for Rotherham - who, given the way they're playing and the games they've got left, may not win again this season.
And that would then leave Plymouth vs. MK Dons as the biggest humdinger of a final day fixture imaginable - deciding both the final playoff spot and the second automatic promotion spot!

OUFC have a 85% chance of reaching 81 points? Really? Will you offer me equivalent odds of this not happening because if you will, I'm placing a very large bet!

I of course hope we do reach that target but the chances must be nearer 27% based on a 30% chance of beating Rotherham and a 90% chance of beating Doncaster if we need to on the last day.

I haven’t really looked at Jolteon’s percentages before. But we are 5/2 to win at Rotherham and must be odds on to beat Doncaster. Which are the two results to get to 81 points.

Where does 85% come from ?

It's more like 32% and 73%, so 23% combined. But close enough. I think we'll do it, but you're right that 85% is madness (@MarkG it's in the graphic).

As it stood when this thread was created, and as it is now.

1650486344838.png 1650486382427.png

In that time...
Rotherham have got 18pts from 13 games.
Wigan, 32pts from 16 games.
MK, 27pts from 13 games.
Sunderland, 23pts from 12 games.
We've got, 22pts from 13 games.
Wycombe, 24pts from 14 games.
Sheff Wed, 27pts from 13 games.
Plymouth, 29pts from 15 games.

Impressive form from all, bar Rotherham, and lets hope it stays that way, at least until Sunday.

Interesting this one not including us in the chase, i've already pointed out that with the prediction of us drawing with Rotherham and the 3 points we should get against Donny we would finish 7th on GD not Wycombe. No one is expecting us to get in to the top 6 at this point.

• React
Reactions: ljs

Interesting this one not including us in the chase, i've already pointed out that with the prediction of us drawing with Rotherham and the 3 points we should get against Donny we would finish 7th on GD not Wycombe. No one is expecting us to get in to the top 6 at this point.
Maybe they should call themselves The 71 as they seem to have completely forgotten about us....

It's all good let these people forget about us I'm sure they will know who we are come 14:20 on the 30th April 😄😄

To clarify on the maths used for the percentage chance - I'm not entirely good at maths so I basically made it up as I went along using the points required and the difficulty score. It looked like a good, accurate figure when I first started and for most weeks until recently it started to look a little more squiffy. With only a few weeks left, and the fact no one had questioned it at all, I just let it run and assumed it was all good, but you little buggers have called it out with just 10 days left to go 😅

It was always supposed to just be illustrative anyways, even the best mathematicians in the world couldn't have predicted this season.

Barnsley join Derby in League 1 next season. Peterborough likely confirmed tomorrow.

Morning Yellows. Good luck today, although obviously I am hoping we gain point age to make your task more difficult....

It will be an odd one today as I will be as focussed on the WW/SW game as much as ours....

Lets hope we are both as clubs entering next week with something to play for....

Just got home and saw the result. Gonna give the forum a wide berth for the weekend having read just a snippet of the match day thread 😂

I'll update the table and stuff on Monday for anyone interested but it's not going to be pretty reading 😭

Real shame that we're not going to be involved.....

......but still promises to be a hum-dinger of a final day.

If Fleetwood draw with Wednesday in midweek & Sunderland lose to Rotherham (both very possible results) then Wycombe, Plymouth, Sunderland & Wednesday would all go into the final day on 80 points.

We all backing Plymouth now for the play offs? Think Wigan will go up in the autos, would rather Rotherham go up than MK with them.

Back
Top Bottom