Matches The Yellows at Charlton.......!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question.... which pre-match boozer are we headed to? The Globe?

I remember that from the 3-3 game there in '85, weren't we in the stand at the other end from that pic? I seem to remember it being on our right. Completely empty and cordoned off. It just looked huge.
EewdhFhXYAEYq1v

Serious question.... which pre-match boozer are we headed to? The Globe?
There are a good selection of pubs near London Bridge station which is only a 15 - 20 train journey to The Valley,
The Bunch of Grapes
The George
However The Redwood Sports Bar looks the place to go for an hour or so while we wait for a train to take us to the game, plenty of beer choice, food and lots of screens to watch the early game....

Last edited:
I have a friend who’s a Millwall fan from Peckham. His brothers are geezers but he’s the quietest, most gently humorous bloke you can imagine. I bizarrely went to see Millwall play at the old Reading ground with him and his brothers. I kept pretty quiet, especially when there was a pitch invasion.
All of the Millwall fans I know are nice people. To be honest a lot I know only go to big games or don't go anymore. They feel the media has an agenda against their club which is perhaps true.
I actually quite like Millwall, it's a great away day, in a good location for London beers.

Back on to Charlton, I wonder if our recent losses will knock a few hundred off what we could have taken?

All of the Millwall fans I know are nice people. To be honest a lot I know only go to big games or don't go anymore. They feel the media has an agenda against their club which is perhaps true.
I actually quite like Millwall, it's a great away day, in a good location for London beers.

Back on to Charlton, I wonder if our recent losses will knock a few hundred off what we could have taken?
I'm not sure how nice all these other guys were at Reading. My other encounter with Millwall was after that JPT trophy game when me and another guy nipped into a bush to avoid galloping police horses and a load of Millwall fans who looked like something out of Peaky Blinders.

There are a good selection of pubs near London Bridge station which is only a 15 - 20 train journey to The Valley,
The Bunch of Grapes
The George
However The Redwood Sports Bar looks the place to go for an hour or so while we wait for a train to take us to the game, plenty of beer choice, food and lost of screens to watch the early game....
I've got my train ticket from Kidlington Parkway and underground sorted for the day...

will I need an additional ticket for the train to the ground?

Tree hey should do one just for the football valid maybe on both Bus and train
theres an 'oystercard ' in London

looking ahead a few years , maybe a Tigercard , valid on all forms of public transport , in Oxon would be an idea ?

theres an 'oystercard ' in London

looking ahead a few years , maybe a Tigercard , valid on all forms of public transport , in Oxon would be an idea ?
More expensive to buy a train tkt then use contactless card or old style oystercard. Better to get the travel card. Groups of 3 or more get a third off

The Bunch of Grapes
The George
However The Redwood Sports Bar looks the place to go for an hour or so while we wait for a train to take us to the game, plenty of beer choice, food and lost of screens to watch the early game....

Another pub near London Bridge is The Market Porter (I think).

Went in there before the Millwall JPT first leg game (and afterwards too!). They had some really strong Ale on draught… 8% I think 😳😮

I've got my train ticket from Kidlington Parkway and underground sorted for the day...

will I need an additional ticket for the train to the ground?

You shouldn't do if you've bought a train ticket with a Travelcard. The same ticket can be used on the Tube and any train services within Zones 1-6. Charlton railway station is in Zone 3. It almost always works out cheaper with a Travelcard than paying with contactless/Oyster.

If you're doing three or more trips to the capital on your own or plan to travel as a group of three or more for one journey, definitely get a Network Railcard which knocks a third off fares. You'll make the £30 outlay for it back pretty quickly then.

Always a good day out. Charlton fans generally ok; pretty measured and knowledgeable.
I’m hopeful for Saturday; we seem to be a bit of a bogey team for them.

Memory playing tricks but last couple of times we’ve been at New Den, we’ve won and the Millwall mob have gone into pitch invasion mode. Wouldn’t call them ‘nice’. At all.

You shouldn't do if you've bought a train ticket with a Travelcard. The same ticket can be used on the Tube and any train services within Zones 1-6. Charlton railway station is in Zone 3. It almost always works out cheaper with a Travelcard than paying with contactless/Oyster.

If you're doing three or more trips to the capital on your own or plan to travel as a group of three or more for one journey, definitely get a Network Railcard which knocks a third off fares. You'll make the £30 outlay for it back pretty quickly then.
Travel as a group of three or 4 you can get group save three and group save 4 and you can save 1/3 for 3 and used to be 50% for 4 not sure if that’s the same now but you must all travel together.

Another pub near London Bridge is The Market Porter (I think).

Went in there before the Millwall JPT first leg game (and afterwards too!). They had some really strong Ale on draught… 8% I think 😳😮

There's plenty of times in my life where I have regrets about moving to the US.

But without a shadow a doubt, it hits hardest when I come on here and people are talking about good real ale pubs to visit before an away match. Two of the three things I miss most about home back-to-back (with the 3rd being a day at the Test)!

But yeah, I'd go with lunch at the Royal Oak in Borough (which is Harvey's London tap house), then stop off at the Market Porter in Borough Market, then one at the George if there's time (average beer, but the history is hard to beat) before hopping on the train.......
......and now I'm feeling both homesick and thirsty.

Some happy memories of the Valley as well - #1 was either Ryan Ledson's last minute winner or the beginning of the Jefferson Louis era (who I hear is still playing, and now onto his 41st club?!?)

There's plenty of times in my life where I have regrets about moving to the US.

But without a shadow a doubt, it hits hardest when I come on here and people are talking about good real ale pubs to visit before an away match. Two of the three things I miss most about home back-to-back (with the 3rd being a day at the Test)!

But yeah, I'd go with lunch at the Royal Oak in Borough (which is Harvey's London tap house), then stop off at the Market Porter in Borough Market, then one at the George if there's time (average beer, but the history is hard to beat) before hopping on the train.......
......and now I'm feeling both homesick and thirsty.

Some happy memories of the Valley as well - #1 was either Ryan Ledson's last minute winner or the beginning of the Jefferson Louis era (who I hear is still playing, and now onto his 41st club?!?)
North Leigh

I’m not sure when but apparently travelcards for London are being phased out on the basis that “everyone” can tap-in / out using their Oyster card or debit card and the system works out what to charge you later.

I’m not sure when but apparently travelcards for London are being phased out on the basis that “everyone” can tap-in / out using their Oyster card or debit card and the system works out what to charge you later.
We’re talking about the integrated day ticket you can get from Oxford, which gives you the tube as well. I use it a lot for days out in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom