Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about a scewed assessment!
It is extremely likely that had Manning stayed Beadle would have been off.
Brighton wanted him to play at a higher level. I have no.idea why you wouod suggest that Beadle would have stayed ( and the gk coach stayed even withh Manning off)
Probably as they watched the titanic start to sink. Guess work on my part which is why i made clear that if he did still go, it probably would’ve worked out exactly the same. But I think we stood a better chance with Brighton if the feel good factor remained around and we were knocking on the automatics. Lots of ifs, but I think where we were under Des, it was a no brainer for Brighton to take him out.

But to write Beadle off as a poor signing since he isn’t here to finish the season just seemed strange to me. He reminded me you could have a keeper with hands at this level.

Beadle - of course. Although that would likely only happen if we got promoted this season, and maybe not even then!

Edwards - we've discussed on his own thread. But I agree with the general consensus there that he's a luxury signing. Very good player, very poor track record of actually playing a lot. Maybe you keep as a squad wild card if we can't/don't keep Murphy. But no tears if he leaves

Mills - Meh. He was OK. Very up and down. I feel we've already signed a better replacement in Dale

Rodrigues, Leigh, Harris - Yes, for sure. As I said in my original post. But I think they're all good players at this level, not superstars. Could they be part of a promotion squad from this tier? Probably. Would they be key players in that promotion and/or a future Championship side? Probably not.

But Thorniley and McEachran, I would move on from immediately if there was any chance we could find a taker. And I wouldn't sign Stevens again either.

Let me ask a different question - if you were told that a current Oxford player had gotten injured in training and was going to miss the rest of the season, who would distress you, and hurt our chances of getting a playoff place the most? For me, right now, it's #1 Cam, #2 Moore, #3 Murphy (my January 2024 self would not believe I'm writing that, but it's true!). And I'm not sure there's a Manning signing cracking the top five (unless Goodwin has hurt himself again, in which case we do need Sparky despite the fact that he's in another of his barren spells).
Ha, you're right, Cam and Moore are our spine, and Murphy our most dangerous and unpredictable attacker. The goalie is nothing special and his reserve is nearly as good, while neither CF nor any of the other midfielders are unmissable.

Probably as they watched the titanic start to sink. Guess work on my part which is why i made clear that if he did still go, it probably would’ve worked out exactly the same. But I think we stood a better chance with Brighton if the feel good factor remained around and we were knocking on the automatics. Lots of ifs, but I think where we were under Des, it was a no brainer for Brighton to take him out.

But to write Beadle off as a poor signing since he isn’t here to finish the season just seemed strange to me. He reminded me you could have a keeper with hands at this level.

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

I never said that Beadle was a poor signing.

I just said how good can a summer of recruitment really have been if none of the players you brought in are actually key to the team's success by March?

Beadle - of course. Although that would likely only happen if we got promoted this season, and maybe not even then!

Edwards - we've discussed on his own thread. But I agree with the general consensus there that he's a luxury signing. Very good player, very poor track record of actually playing a lot. Maybe you keep as a squad wild card if we can't/don't keep Murphy. But no tears if he leaves

Mills - Meh. He was OK. Very up and down. I feel we've already signed a better replacement in Dale

Rodrigues, Leigh, Harris - Yes, for sure. As I said in my original post. But I think they're all good players at this level, not superstars. Could they be part of a promotion squad from this tier? Probably. Would they be key players in that promotion and/or a future Championship side? Probably not.

But Thorniley and McEachran, I would move on from immediately if there was any chance we could find a taker. And I wouldn't sign Stevens again either.

Let me ask a different question - if you were told that a current Oxford player had gotten injured in training and was going to miss the rest of the season, who would distress you, and hurt our chances of getting a playoff place the most? For me, right now, it's #1 Cam, #2 Moore, #3 Murphy (my January 2024 self would not believe I'm writing that, but it's true!). And I'm not sure there's a Manning signing cracking the top five (unless Goodwin has hurt himself again, in which case we do need Sparky despite the fact that he's in another of his barren spells).
Agree Dale is an upgrade on Mills, but Mills was a good signing for us and impacted games with goals, assists. We burned him out. His injury was so unfortunate.

Agree Edwards is luxury. Had he stayed fit, he was a great pull and he did at least win us some points and left a mark on the supporters before he left. Good signing, unfortunate again.

Rodrigues and Leigh are miles from their best. At the start of the season they were 2 of the most dangerous players in the league! Whether it’s them or Des that’s caused their decline, they are better players than we’re seeing and great signings.

Sorry I forgot McEachran. Can see why he might thrice for some managers and flop for others. Legs have gone but he’s a quality player. 2 year deal now looks a bit daft. Thorniley needs to rebuild himself. That was a mistake.

I take your final point and an interesting question. For me it’s Dale first, Cam second and Moore third so yep, none are Manning signings. We can live without Leigh and Harris as their alternatives are decent. But I think Rodrigues would be a huge miss in the play offs. He’s a player who can give you a moment out of nothing which has value whether on the back foot or the front foot. No secret I’m a fan and I don’t like the finger pointing that’s going on with him - I think he cares but shy on confidence which he won’t have felt for seasons and frustrated by the system which does nothing for him - though Vale was an improvement.

I take your final point and an interesting question. For me it’s Dale first, Cam second and Moore third so yep, none are Manning signings. We can live without Leigh and Harris as their alternatives are decent. But I think Rodrigues would be a huge miss in the play offs. He’s a player who can give you a moment out of nothing which has value whether on the back foot or the front foot. No secret I’m a fan and I don’t like the finger pointing that’s going on with him - I think he cares but shy on confidence which he won’t have felt for seasons and frustrated by the system which does nothing for him - though Vale was an improvement.

My intention is not to finger point at Rodrigues. But while I don't think he's deserved all the criticism he's received lately - I also think he was overhyped a little earlier in the season too. He's a good League One player, but I don't think he's going any higher than this (unless it's with us!).

And, in Bodin and Goodrham, I think we have alternatives at his position too - even if we continue to play two attacking midfielders. After all, Tyler has the same number of assists and more goals than RR in the league this season, in 1250 fewer minutes!

As you say pure speculation and I have no doubt that Brighton would have wanted Beadle playing at a higher level to prove himself there ( which is what loans are about)
Not sure that anybody suggested that Beadle was a poor loan?
It probably is fair to suggest that in retrospect Mannings Sumner transfer window was not as good as we thought at the time ( sure thete has been some bad luck in there)

Thorniley and Perkins are the only signings of Manning’s (out of how many? 8 or 9 was it?) that I’d write off as poor and even then, Thorniley was very well received - most of the fan base expected that to be a decent signing.
I know you're a fan but I'd put McEachran in the poor category. Woltman definitely as well and he cost money, the fact everyone has forgotten about him is telling.

I make it 11 signings under Manning and would say

HITS
Leigh
Rodrigues
Harris
Beadle
Mills

MISS
McEachran
Thorniley
Woltman
Perkins

JURYS OUT
Stevens
Edwards

Edwards has quality but after the recent years we've had there's no way you can call a winger who is too good for this level but has a history of injuries a hit. Stevens clearly has some ability but the fact that he's not a clear first choice at right back over Long is pretty damning.

A bit like the man himself, not too good and not too bad. I'm not convinced we signed any superstars for this level and I don't think the bad ones were disasters, apart from the best part of quarter of a million we spunked on Woltman. I'll be interested to see what we're like a few months into next season because I'm not sure it was a particularly strong January either, unless Goodwin becomes the powerful goalscoring centre forward we've needed for half a decade or so. Dale and Bennett have been good, Burey bad and the Goodwin, Matete and Cumming all have questions marks over them.

My intention is not to finger point at Rodrigues. But while I don't think he's deserved all the criticism he's received lately - I also think he was overhyped a little earlier in the season too. He's a good League One player, but I don't think he's going any higher than this (unless it's with us!).

And, in Bodin and Goodrham, I think we have alternatives at his position too - even if we continue to play two attacking midfielders. After all, Tyler has the same number of assists and more goals than RR in the league this season, in 1250 fewer minutes!
Certainly think Goodrham has a future centrally. Bodin doesn’t do it for me anymore - he’s starting to look over the hill. I think Rodrigues is a bit of a puzzle for a manager to figure out but one you just have to solve. He isn’t your average league one player.

As you say pure speculation and I have no doubt that Brighton would have wanted Beadle playing at a higher level to prove himself there ( which is what loans are about)
Not sure that anybody suggested that Beadle was a poor loan?
It probably is fair to suggest that in retrospect Mannings Sumner transfer window was not as good as we thought at the time ( sure thete has been some bad luck in there)
No I think I’ve misrepresented my challenge slightly. It was suggested that the summer wasn’t successful as a result of some players not being here to finish the season. I was arguing that it was very successful IMO and i don’t think injuries (unless it’s a signing like Murphy where it’s obviously going to happen) or recalls are a reason to suggest Manning made mistakes in the window.

It has to be factored in where we were as a club after last season. Where Manning was as a manager after that season and just how much the team needed. I think he did extremely well it’s just a shame he wasn’t here to see how far he could take them. Des may not have signed a lot of them - who knows. I think Dale is a belter of a January signing and Cumming, in the circumstances, not bad either but the rest it’s hard to see what impact they’ve had. With all Manning’s signings, bar the 2 or 3 we mentioned, they had a tremendous impact on the season and we’ve got the foundations of a squad to build from. He did well. Very well.

Certainly think Goodrham has a future centrally. Bodin doesn’t do it for me anymore - he’s starting to look over the hill. I think Rodrigues is a bit of a puzzle for a manager to figure out but one you just have to solve. He isn’t your average league one player.
Bodin started nearly every game under Manning and looked the best he's done with us. He's hardly played since - an example of how some players hit with some managers and not others.

Bodin started nearly every game under Manning and looked the best he's done with us. He's hardly played since - an example of how some players hit with some managers and not others.
Yep, but further evidence to suggest Manning had a system that the majority of the players understood, believed in and were committed to. If they didn’t, they didn’t play. He changed the team most weeks but we still kept to this standard.

But he sacked a coach, so.

Yep, but further evidence to suggest Manning had a system that the majority of the players understood, believed in and were committed to. If they didn’t, they didn’t play. He changed the team most weeks but we still kept to this standard.

But he sacked a coach, so.
Not what I said at all. He clearly liked Bodin who fitted into his system and didn’t look over the hill. Des prefers more out and out wingers and he plays less, though Murphy plays more and looks good. Not an excuse to bash Des again.

Not what I said at all. He clearly liked Bodin who fitted into his system and didn’t look over the hill. Des prefers more out and out wingers and he plays less, though Murphy plays more and looks good. Not an excuse to bash Des again.
Nobody is bashing Des, I’m just pointing out what a good thing we had going despite best attempts to discredit the best manager we’ve laid our hands on in years. You said yourself it’s the best Bodin’s looked for us and he isn’t alone. I think that’s true for virtually every player in the squad that was here prior to his arrival. It’s not all about Des, there could be other factors, but Manning sure did a decent job of overcoming them in that case.

This is getting tiresome.
We agree on something!

I did invite you to come back with something that wasn’t public knowledge that would give us an insight in to why you know we got a lucky escape with Manning, but you didn’t. So apologies if I’m being more than a little flippant, but it’s annoying.

Not sure if I’m allowed to do this and if not apologies.

As many of you may know my son is autistic. We got the diagnosis when he was aged five after a long two year wait for an NHS referral. We were one of the lucky ones. The older the child the longer you have to wait for a diagnosis as CAMHS is overwhelmed and my son was young enough to be seen by a pediatrician. The NHS are good but just don’t have the resources to deal with it.

Anyway, the charity that stood by us and helped us when my son was frustrated and punching through windows at the age of 7 was Autism Family Support, Oxfordshire. They are the only means of anyone with an autistic family member to get one to one support in Oxfordshire. The only means. It is shocking.

This week Oxfordshire Country Council cut their funding so they can no longer deliver that vital service - a service that stopped us for getting to crisis point.

As this is Oxfordshire and as this is a popular thread I hope you don’t mind me plugging a petition to sign (and to share with your networks) to get the decision over turned.

The petition is here: https://www.change.org/p/halt-the-r...n=share_for_starters_page&utm_medium=copylink

More details here:

Nobody is bashing Des, I’m just pointing out what a good thing we had going despite best attempts to discredit the best manager we’ve laid our hands on in years. You said yourself it’s the best Bodin’s looked for us and he isn’t alone. I think that’s true for virtually every player in the squad that was here prior to his arrival. It’s not all about Des, there could be other factors, but Manning sure did a decent job of overcoming them in that case.
No one with any sense will disagree that Manning was an exceptional manager, Des has had a disappointing start, and our reserve right back has given some poor performances. Yet you seem to expend hundreds of words every day making those dull points. We get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom