Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm wrong, but this season is starting to feel a lot like 2002-03, the full season under Atkins. Other than the quality of the football.

Then we were in with a sniff of the automatics, only to go on a bad run - turned it round with a couple of big wins, and looked like a shoe-in for the playoffs with three to go. Then we lost a game against Rovers that we had no business losing, lost to Scunthorpe, and then needed to win on the final day and get some help from whoever was playing Lincoln.

We did our part, thought we were going to get the help we needed when Lincoln's opponent got an 85th minute penalty (I think it was one of the Devon clubs?). They missed, Lincoln survived and we ended up a point short.......

I hope I'm wrong, but this season is starting to feel a lot like 2002-03, the full season under Atkins. Other than the quality of the football.

Then we were in with a sniff of the automatics, only to go on a bad run - turned it round with a couple of big wins, and looked like a shoe-in for the playoffs with three to go. Then we lost a game against Rovers that we had no business losing, lost to Scunthorpe, and then needed to win on the final day and get some help from whoever was playing Lincoln.

We did our part, thought we were going to get the help we needed when Lincoln's opponent got an 85th minute penalty (I think it was one of the Devon clubs?). They missed, Lincoln survived and we ended up a point short.......
Torquay. Their penalty taker tried a Panenka. He failed.

I thought it was Scunthorpe..? Didn’t the penalty taker attempt a ridiculous panenka?

Edit: Beat me to it LeftSideLarry!

Torquay. Their penalty taker tried a Panenka. He failed.

Remember that well. Was listening to Fox fm at the time and they cut the music short to go live to the penalty that was missed. Feels like it will go the same way next Saturday.

So, three points cover four teams with two places up for grabs
  • Barnsley host Northampton - they need a win have only managed one point from their last five games. Their confidence must be in bits at the moment but can the Cobblers take advantage?
  • Lincoln finish with the Champions at home - Pompey are definitely good enough to beat Lincoln and will want to finish with a flourish after losing today but Lincoln know a win does it for them.
  • Blackpool go to Reading - the Biscuitmen have been on a bit of a revival and have held Lincoln and Barnsley this month. Wouldn't be surprised if they share the points or better but the Seasiders have to go all out for the win to stand any chance of being in the top 6.
A win for us and both Barnsley and Lincoln must also win to keep us below the dotted line. Barnsley must match or better our result to stay above us. If we only draw, Blackpool could leapfrog us with a win. If all three of our rivals lose, we only need a point at Exeter.

Who said football was boring.....
The maths gives us a reasonably good chance of getting into the play-offs if we beat Exeter. Fail to beat Exeter and we don’t deserve to be in them.

So one last push.

We can do it!

If Lincoln do make the playoffs and not us I hope they go up and do a Wycombe. We can swap places with them in 12 months on their way back down and in the meantime we'll have bigger games against the other playoff sides next season.
Heard this all before e.g. when Wycombe beat us in the final!!

Oh well, just got to hope we can win next week and results go our way, but I feel it’s not going to happen.

Poor in the end really

The only way we can end up level with Blackpool is if they draw on Saturday, and we win, and then we finish 7th and 8th.

It didn't matter whether they won by 1 goal or 45......the important thing was that they won, and therefore we now have two chances as long as we win against Exeter.

As Blackpool are a point behind us, I think you meant if they draw and we lose - as you say we would both finish out of the playoffs anyway, barring any late point deduction activity as per the Premiership shambolic load of nonsense. They will be abolishing FA Cup replays next, ... oh wait.

I’m going to be optimistic. The time for the post mortem is after next week. And there’s a lot to digest.

If you’d have offered me a serious chance of playoffs one year after escaping relegation by the skin of our teeth, I would have bitten your arm off. That’s still the case.

Football is a funny old game. Here’s to a week of optimism.

No . The difference is in January they brought in loanee Joe Taylor who has scored 9 goals in 17 games. They are more clinical in front of goal than us aswell. That isn't anything to do with the manager.
But we also have to ask why?

I’m going to be optimistic. The time for the post mortem is after next week. And there’s a lot to digest.

If you’d have offered me a serious chance of playoffs one year after escaping relegation by the skin of our teeth, I would have bitten your arm off. That’s still the case.

Football is a funny old game. Here’s to a week of optimism.
That is very true but if after Orient away we were told we would miss the play offs you would think the person was insane. It has been a rollercoaster of a season just a shame we end it with so many more questions than answers.

Win at Exeter and hope ,if we draw there it won't matter. We should have hosed up by now ,but we would and still might get stuffed in the semis .It's all if and buts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom