Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matete was meant to be our midfield enforcer, I don’t know whether we should have been able to forecast his inability to get fit.
He had a very serious injury pre season , hadn't got over it and we gambled that he would.
A quality , fit , Butcher available at the same time who would have added to our midfield massively .
I wanted him when he left Accy but he went to Plymouth.
Signing Matete , Goodwin and Burey was a huge gamble that backfired massively and I hope we have learnt from it.

Ever the optimist.

Barnsley will screw it up. What a panicky decision sacking manager.

Point does it. And we’ll win.

Lincoln 0- Portsmouth 0.

So onto Peterborough..

Hopefully the results go our way from very early on so that the players don’t sense the tension building from the stands and instead pick up some really encouraging vibes.

He had a very serious injury pre season , hadn't got over it and we gambled that he would.
A quality , fit , Butcher available at the same time who would have added to our midfield massively .
I wanted him when he left Accy but he went to Plymouth.
Signing Matete , Goodwin and Burey was a huge gamble that backfired massively and I hope we have learnt from it.
Except that Goodwin is a long term investment and the other two January punts which were yes a toss of a coin which did not add anything unfortunately but such is football.

I think it would sum up this season nicely if Lincoln and Barnsley drop points, and we lose to Exeter.

[The latter in controversial style or despite having had 19+ shots on target]

I’d try move both on I’m afraid if possible. Needs a complete clear out. I know some won’t agree but in longs case, being an Oxford boy isn’t good enough anymore.
Starting the season with an entirely new squad will mean a slow start as there wikl be no cohesion - doesn't sound like a great plan tbf

Starting the season with an entirely new squad will mean a slow start as there wikl be no cohesion - doesn't sound like a great plan tbf
I do find we make a lot of wishy washy excuses. Where do you draw the line between too many changes and actually having to change quite a lot because what you have is historically not good enough/not available enough/not making good enough use of the budget/doesn’t fit the manager’s needs?

Ipswich signed 14 new players last season, Plymouth signed 13. The top two teams in the league.

Portsmouth this season signed a whopping 21 players while Derby signed 16.

The point is not that we must go and sign a load of players. But the idea that you will struggle for success if you do is a myth. These teams went big and bold in the market in their own way with a plan and knitted it all together to be successful.

Derby did have a slower start to the season but came good because they have a manager who has become the market leader in promotion from league one. Something none of the other 3 teams I mentioned had and neither do we.

posts are already flying around about who we keep or get rid of and to my mind the question is whose standards are we judging them by? The promotion standards of the league and the teams who have got out of it? Or the Oxford United standards of the last 4 or 5 years which have on all occasions proven too low and probably ought to be raised anywhere we can?

I think it would sum up this season nicely if Lincoln and Barnsley drop points, and we lose to Exeter.

[The latter in controversial style or despite having had 19+ shots on target]

Yep, a stonewall penalty that wasn’t given probably.

I do find we make a lot of wishy washy excuses. Where do you draw the line between too many changes and actually having to change quite a lot because what you have is historically not good enough/not available enough/not making good enough use of the budget/doesn’t fit the manager’s needs?

Ipswich signed 14 new players last season, Plymouth signed 13. The top two teams in the league.
You make some good points. I think it is also down the quality of the managers.

Ipswich: Kieran Mckenna
Plymouth: Stephen Schumacher
Portsmouth; John Mousinho
Derby; Paul Warne

I know the point will be made about Mousinho's lack of experience to me a born leader and I hope he goes on to be a Premier league manager (not with Portsmouth)

Last edited:
Bloody hell Cheltenham, you are a game too late...

Cheltenham 2 Peterborough 0 latest.

What a phenomenal job Darrell Clarke has done there.

Rock bottom with 1 point and no goals before he took charge (from 10 games). And he has subsequently achieved form that would put them 16th thereafter (above the likes of Bristol Rovers and Charlton, no less).

Found a striker knocking about on their bench, turned him into a goalscorer. Had to flog him to a bigger club for £400k in January. Plucked a replacement from a side that'll be playing non-league next season (FGR - Matty Taylor) and he has netted 6 in 10(+2) since joining.

Absolutely remarkable job all things considered. The very definition of management - getting the most of what you've got, improving it, rolling with the punches and going again if needs be.
For me, manager of the season if he somehow keeps them up (yes, even over Mousinho).

And If he doesn't, I'd absolutely lump on them for promotion next season.

Portsmouth this season signed a whopping 21 players while Derby signed 16.

The point is not that we must go and sign a load of players. But the idea that you will struggle for success if you do is a myth. These teams went big and bold in the market in their own way with a plan and knitted it all together to be successful.

Derby did have a slower start to the season but came good because they have a manager who has become the market leader in promotion from league one. Something none of the other 3 teams I mentioned had and neither do we.

posts are already flying around about who we keep or get rid of and to my mind the question is whose standards are we judging them by? The promotion standards of the league and the teams who have got out of it? Or the Oxford United standards of the last 4 or 5 years which have on all occasions proven too low and probably ought to be raised anywhere we can?
I suggest we judge players by high standards - look at all the fuss and argument on here about our reserve right back. Do you think Lincoln's reserve right back is some amazing superstar? At this level it's surely more about having the right mix of players, good levels of fitness, and the right coaching and management than every player being 'Championship standard' or whatever.

Obviously because some of us will be very positive and then you have the few on here who seem desperate for Des to fail and they will be trying to find reasons why we won’t win the play offs if we get there.
Great quote I came across recently...

"An optimist sometimes looks foolish - a cynic always looks cynical."

Have to start somewhere and change the culture. We need to do what Peterborough have which is sign young talented players with potential resale value, speculate to accumulate.

Having spent time watching numerous OCC meetings, crafted letters to councillors and supporting our application, I feel my intellect and awareness is at an optimum level. I have considered the thoughts on this thread and feel it is time I explained what will happen on Saturday and my rationale.

Barnsley will beat Northampton, 2-0, though nervous they will have the crowd behind them following the change in leadership. Northampton are hoping Kelvin will take them on a USA pre-season tour similar to the infamous OUFC one, so will be on the fabled 'beach'.

Lincoln will win 1-0 against Portsmouth. Pompey will put up a fight but the Imps will be taking full advantage of their time wasting skills against a team that won't complain too much.

We don't need to discuss Blackpool, though they will win, bouyed on by a large away support just pleased to get away from Chinese fake rock for a few days.

So to the mighty Yellows, lets look at the facts:

Tom Reeves, our match referee, recently lauded for his handling of a difficult racist situation at the Gillingham Vs Newport match, appears to be a level headed and compassionate chap who would more likely appreciate our silky skills against another team versed in the dark arts. Looking at the stats 44% of the games he has refereed were home wins, 6% draws and 50% away wins.

Exeter will want to put a show on for their supporters, which will backfire similar to our Burton away match where as free flowing, counter attacking will win the day.

With the game kicking off at 12:30, our opening goal will be at 12:43, second 13:00, then 13:13, followed by 13:31, 13:52 and 14:02 (please remember, my brain is now at optimal level and therefore my lucky number comes into play).

The last fact to confirm all the above - I will be wearing my lucky pants.

We will win 6-0, leaving us on the same points and goal difference to Lincoln. We go into the playoffs having scored more goals in league matches.

COYY's

Ever the optimist.

Barnsley will screw it up. What a panicky decision sacking manager.

Point does it. And we’ll win.

Lincoln 0- Portsmouth 0.

So onto Peterborough..

I'm not sure what to think of that decision to sack their manager. On the face of it, it does seem a bit reckless but they're in absolute freefall and there must be a school of thought that, under Collins, that is in danger of becoming unstoppable. I think they've given it one last throw of the dice in the hope that a new voice, as manager, can muster up enough new energy to get them through a one off 95 minute match. I don't even think this decision has been made with the play off matches in mind, this comes down to one game and the momentum gained from Saturday (if they make it) will be enough to carry them in to the play off matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom