General Virtual Player of The Season Awards 2020/2021

A nice bit tonight was Robbo’s interview, when asked by Nathan his favourite moment whether it was a game we won or lost or a game we should have won but lost or a game we should have lost but won, or the last minute goal or penalty save, and what does KR say “ Swindon relegated “ 🤣🤣🤣

A nice bit tonight was Robbo’s interview, when asked by Nathan his favourite moment whether it was a game we won or lost or a game we should have won but lost or a game we should have lost but won, or the last minute goal or penalty save, and what does KR say “ Swindon relegated “ 🤣🤣🤣

Also when asked about Robbie Fowler and Swindon, he said he won't go there (I think half jokingly).

Congratulations Jack Stevens, a brilliant step up to number 1 this season. 👏

Special mention, and congratulations to Sam Long, superb season, and deserves both the awards he has received.

A number of years ago, when he first started being included in the match day squads, whenever I saw him warming up at half time, even though he was nowhere near the first team, you wouldn't have known it, I was very impressed with his commitment to going through his drills, and his work with the ball, and you could see he wasn't just passing it about, going through the motions, he was focused, taking it all very seriously, even though he would've known he wasn't gonna be getting an appearance, it impressed me a lot, and I said back then, that I felt he was gonna go on to be a good player for us.

But I had no idea he would go on to be such an influential, key player, who has clearly worked incredibly hard, and he is a fantastic example to any youngsters coming through, or new recruits coming into the club, of the standards that are expected week in week out, and he deserves all the plaudits he is receiving.

Well done Longy 👏👏

Just caught up with it on YouTube, as others have said kudos to those involved producing it + congratulations to all award winners

In a profession where throwing toys out of the pram is all too common, Sam Long's reaction to us signing a new right back was absolutely exemplary.

A great example to any young players in sport and life too. When challenged, hard work and a great mindset gives you the best chance of overcoming it.

Or go to the pub, post on social media and get involved in a fracas outside a nightclub, of course 😉

Sam Long is the perfect example of how hard work, perseverance and a bloody good attitude can take you a long (pardon the pun) way. He never gave up wanting to be the OUFC right back, even when we signed Cadden and Clare, his response was to up his game to oust them not to sulk and try and force a move away. He is an exemplary role model and has rightly been rewarded for what has been a truly brilliant season from him. Continue as he is and he'll be an OUFC legend.

Edit: I didn't get a chance to watch last night so catching up now - the season highlights got me a bit emotional! Ending with Sam's winner against Gills and then the players finding out we made the playoff, it showed how much all our players care. I love how the final moment of it was James Henry saying "We've still got a job to do". Fantastic attitude.

Last edited:
Sam Long - Oxford's Number 2!

Might not want to use that in a chant next season 🤣
It's up to him of course, but there's something I like about him being #12, as someone who can come in and be excellent in a number of positions.

It's up to him of course, but there's something I like about him being #12, as someone who can come in and be excellent in a number of positions.

Whilst this is still true and we can call on him to fill in at CB and LB from time to time, what has made Sam Long so good this season is that he bossed the RB slot and made it his own. Previous seasons have seen him branded with the utility man tag which can see you in and out of the side. Nowadays, we get fretful if he isn’t there to be our usual reliable RB.

I loved his highlight reel. His frequent one-two movement with the midfield and his ability to travel quickly with the ball down the channels has been such an attacking weapon at times. I don’t think he’s got quicker as such but uses his engine, team mates and fitness better to force good crossing positions.

Here’s hoping that hamstring issue is a minor one. Going into the playoffs with Hanson and Forde at RB and I’ll be worried.

Congratulations Jack Stevens, a brilliant step up to number 1 this season. 👏

Special mention, and congratulations to Sam Long, superb season, and deserves both the awards he has received.

A number of years ago, when he first started being included in the match day squads, whenever I saw him warming up at half time, even though he was nowhere near the first team, you wouldn't have known it, I was very impressed with his commitment to going through his drills, and his work with the ball, and you could see he wasn't just passing it about, going through the motions, he was focused, taking it all very seriously, even though he would've known he wasn't gonna be getting an appearance, it impressed me a lot, and I said back then, that I felt he was gonna go on to be a good player for us.

But I had no idea he would go on to be such an influential, key player, who has clearly worked incredibly hard, and he is a fantastic example to any youngsters coming through, or new recruits coming into the club, of the standards that are expected week in week out, and he deserves all the plaudits he is receiving.

Well done Longy 👏👏
definitely. There is a reason he was kept on as others were released around him, and given the chance to develop as he has, that is his 100% drive and professionalism. He is one of those players that is the beating heart of a squad. I think he has the respect in the squad way beyond his relative age/stature, I don't think I have ever heard anyone at the club have a bad word about him (they may not have always had 100% confidence that he would 'make' it' at the level, but never about him as a man).

Back
Top Bottom