General What is the worst town in England?

Used to be the no 80 bus in my day so that must date me!…………………………………
(Ouch, I qualify for State Pension on Sunday😳)
Good luck with that. I don’t know too many who receive full amount

Special mention for Barrow-in-Furness. A place so bad that even the football team train 100 miles from it.

A place where 'drive to the end of England and turn left' has never been so apt. It's 45-50 minutes just to get back on the M6 again once you've departed Barrow.

We can slag them off as they probably don't have internet there.

Well apart from a random statue of David Bowie (because he played a gig there once on the Ziggy tour)...
david-bowie-statue-1521991646.png

...you aren't missing much.
January 29th 1972 was supposedly the first public outing of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars!

Bit too early for and I couldn't say much about Aylesbury itself but between 1976 and 79/79 Friars was music central for me - Mott The Hoople, Stranglers, Ramones, Tom Petty, Blondie, The Stiff package tour (Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric), Talking Heads, Eddie & Hot Rods, Adverts, Buzzcocks, Clash, Siouxsie & Banshees, Tom Robinson, Steel Pulse, Stiff Little Fingers, Undertones - probably every major punk and new wave band of the era, apart from the Pistols. Oh and from going as a 15/16 year old I was always served at the bar!

For those very reasons alone, Aylesbury will forever have a place in my heart!

Special mention for Barrow-in-Furness. A place so bad that even the football team train 100 miles from it.

Hands off Barrow.

Oi, what is wrong with large slagheaps? It has some absolutely superb Pie Shops and the magnificent Furness Abbey, Walney Island and Peel Island. Not forgeting magnificent views of the Lakes, across the Duddon Estuary and across Morecambe Bay.

A place where 'drive to the end of England and turn left' has never been so apt. It's 45-50 minutes just to get back on the M6 again once you've departed Barrow.

We can slag them off as they probably don't have internet there.

A lovely drive though.

January 29th 1972 was supposedly the first public outing of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars!

Bit too early for and I couldn't say much about Aylesbury itself but between 1976 and 79/79 Friars was music central for me - Mott The Hoople, Stranglers, Ramones, Tom Petty, Blondie, The Stiff package tour (Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric), Talking Heads, Eddie & Hot Rods, Adverts, Buzzcocks, Clash, Siouxsie & Banshees, Tom Robinson, Steel Pulse, Stiff Little Fingers, Undertones - probably every major punk and new wave band of the era, apart from the Pistols. Oh and from going as a 15/16 year old I was always served at the bar!

Yeah first date of the Ziggy Tour. Unfortunately my first gig wasn't until 1988, that was a pretty decent list you've put up there.

Good luck with that. I don’t know too many who receive full amount
And I’m not either. ☹️
Apparently I was contracted out for a few years but no one seems to know when and how! A helpful chap at the Pension hotline did say I should look into claiming Grandparents allowance for looking after the Grandkids whilst there Mum went back to work after 12 months. Basically means you can claim a National Insurance “holiday/credit”, if the parents don’t claim it as they’re both working, and use that period towards offsetting your NI contracted out period.
Haven’t got round to sussing it out yet though!

NB. Always wasted to drag a thread off piste and now I’ve done it. 😂

And I’m not either. ☹️
Apparently I was contracted out for a few years but no one seems to know when and how! A helpful chap at the Pension hotline did say I should look into claiming Grandparents allowance for looking after the Grandkids whilst there Mum went back to work after 12 months. Basically means you can claim a National Insurance “holiday/credit”, if the parents don’t claim it as they’re both working, and use that period towards offsetting your NI contracted out period.
Haven’t got round to sussing it out yet though!

NB. Always wasted to drag a thread off piste and now I’ve done it. 😂
Claiming benefits is actually very on-message for this thread I'm afraid.

Hands off Barrow.

Oi, what is wrong with large slagheaps? It has some absolutely superb Pie Shops and the magnificent Furness Abbey, Walney Island and Peel Island. Not forgeting magnificent views of the Lakes, across the Duddon Estuary and across Morecambe Bay.
There are lots of lovely landmarks and some wonderful scenery. Just as soon as you leave the actual town.

I could make Abingdon look like Rome with the right photos.

Yeah, the one from the bridge looking towards the Anchor. And then the one from the Anchor looking towards the bridge. And, erm, yeah, stuck now tbf.

Saw most of those and add in before them- Genesis, Queen, Roxy Music, then The Police, Cockney Rebel and loads more.
I was nearly 16 for the Ziggy outing in ‘72 and like you getting a drink was no bother. One of my mates at school got us in as his brother, Kris Needs, was the promoter.
Fun times!

Last edited:
Yeah, the one from the bridge looking towards the Anchor. And then the one from the Anchor looking towards the bridge. And, erm, yeah, stuck now tbf.
The tennis and leisure centre is every bit as breathtaking as the colosseum.

Saw most of those and add in before them- Genesis, Queen, Roxy Music, then The Police, Cockney Rebel and loads more.
I was nearly 16 for the Ziggy outing in ‘72 and like you getting a drink was no bother. One of my mates at school got us in as his brother, Chris Needs, was the promoter.
Fun times!
Ah Kris Needs is a well known rock writer who is still going

I am actually writing from Sicily. Ive really liked the bits I’ve seen so far but I know there are parts so shitty they’d make Luton look posh
Police have done pretty well at removing mafia control in poorer areas, still pockets of it of course and shops paying protection. Naples has more mafia influence. Beautiful place amazing food.

Back
Top Bottom