Home Match Day Thread 03/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Reading

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Iโ€™m not saying anything, I said Iโ€™d be positive when signing Matete.

Iโ€™m trying to think of something positive to say, but nothing comes to mind. I will leave it at that.

Henry should have come on ,instead of God ,he still has a wand of a foot ,but for all the talking we are just not good enough at the minute. We are running out of time wr need to get over this massive blip and start winning.But iam looking at our next 3 games ,Blackpool ,Wigan and Wycombe I can see the first 2 games us not getting much from them and then our bogey team .Let's hope for 9 points, how many do you think we will get ?

Henry should have come on ,instead of God ,he still has a wand of a foot ,but for all the talking we are just not good enough at the minute. We are running out of time wr need to get over this massive blip and start winning.But iam looking at our next 3 games ,Blackpool ,Wigan and Wycombe I can see the first 2 games us not getting much from them and then our bogey team .Let's hope for 9 points, how many do you think we will get ?

From them next 3 games = 2 points thatโ€™s my prediction.

Injured players returning needing time to get back up to speed, and new players needing time to gel, we will be told.

So all these Des haters, whoโ€™d you have instead? And, how much better would they have done with nearly half the first team squad out injured.

As soon as we led L1, people were thinking weโ€™d won the league. As were Port Vale, Cambridge, Exeter etc. We are in the playoffs, have had a great window and have players returning from injury. The teams above us Pompey, Peterborough, Bolton are playing really well, but shortly with a nearly full squad, weโ€™ll be pushing. We were never going to be in the automatics, but the playoffs are still there for us to prosper.

I'm not a Des hater and will continue to back him as he has only been here three months and I don't thinks it's helpful booing etc and can be counter productive. However, he has definitely made some mistakes and does appear a bit lost at times. Hopefully things will pick up. While we still need to fight for the playoffs I definitely don't think we are the favourites to get there.

Can anyone give a specific moment where O'Donkor did something particularly wrong today? We were struggling in general at the time, and he had a few balls pumped towards him. Not sure what he did to be the particular target of opprobrium in this game.
Agree with this.

So all these Des haters, whoโ€™d you have instead? And, how much better would they have done with nearly half the first team squad out injured.

As soon as we led L1, people were thinking weโ€™d won the league. As were Port Vale, Cambridge, Exeter etc. We are in the playoffs, have had a great window and have players returning from injury. The teams above us Pompey, Peterborough, Bolton are playing really well, but shortly with a nearly full squad, weโ€™ll be pushing. We were never going to be in the automatics, but the playoffs are still there for us to prosper.

All these injuries perhaps partly excuse him for capitulating against Derby and Peterborough but Cheltenham, Northampton, Rovers and Reading (twice). Look at the man for man starting elevens - and the subs - and you tell me that on paper we are not stronger than those clubs. Look at the pedigrees of the opposition and us. Trust me, we have no excuse against those lesser teams.

John Eustace was the man to bring in.

All these injuries perhaps partly excuse him for capitulating against Derby and Peterborough but Cheltenham, Northampton, Rovers and Reading (twice). Look at the man for man starting elevens - and the subs - and you tell me that on paper we are not stronger than those clubs. Look at the pedigrees of the opposition and us. Trust me, we have no excuse against those lesser teams.
We have had terrible injuries and theyโ€™ve stopped us playing our normal formation, but weโ€™ve now got three wingers available so I donโ€™t think that can be an excuse any more.

Are you sure
Brown has been off for a few
Do you watch much football
In fairness, Ciaron has had a few pretty average games by his standards. His distributions has been poor and he's been bullied by a few players half his size.

I'm surprised that Elliott Moore hasn't got more credit for today but with Negru and Brown either side of him, he gad to work his socks off and was still giving everything to the end.

This has got to be one of the worst "rivalries" in football, it didn't feel any different than playing another local club.
But TVP got their overtime. Walking out of the car park l thought I had been transported to Gaza.
The rivalry felt like Wycombe. The difference is Reading were not calling it a rivalry either.

We have had terrible injuries and theyโ€™ve stopped us playing our normal formation, but weโ€™ve now got three wingers available so I donโ€™t think that can be an excuse any more.
Also today was probably the day where we had our strongest team available for the first time in many weeks if not months along with the new signings plus against very weak opposition. We likely wonโ€™t get an easier opportunity to grab 3pts the rest of the season. Definitely missing Long and thereโ€™s still a few players to return but that was a huge opportunity missed today and the way we played was so poor as was general approach. Not sure if Des is playing it safe or if he really lacks tactical scope and flexibility. There is enough personnel in there to really mix thing s up and make it his own but I just donโ€™t know if he has the experience or ability.

What absolute nonsense. Robinson was, and likely still is, an excellent lower league manager. Our football under him, for the best part of his reign, was very good. That period when we beat West Ham, scored six at Lincoln and Crewe etc, saw some spellbinding football. We knew exactly how we were playing and a lot of the time were able to execute it to devastating effect. Look at some of the quality we recruited too.

He went off the rails, seemingly professionally and publically, in the last throws of his time here but that should never mask his over all contribution. We were probably a James Henry shot away from the Championship and if not for a Covid outbreak, I think, would have pipped Rotherham to the automatics.

He was a bit brash, bit full of himself, but who cares. In what way was he a bully ? Called out a few players but why not, heโ€™s the manager and making brutal decisions is part and parcel of it. Bless any little footballer who canโ€™t take a bollocking.

Robinson NOT a good manager is among the most absurd comments Iโ€™ve read on here.
But never let him near a transfer window.

He was my choice too

A manager who had a decent playing career in this country and then spent time as a manager in the lower leagues with Kidderminster aswell as being assistant at QPR and Ireland, he then took charge of Birmingham and got them sitting nicely in the play off positions on a shoe string budget compared to the other clubs in the division.

Not as glamorous CV as Des but then I've watched some of the Australian and Indian league and it's conference north/south speed at best.

Would Des got the job if he hadn't previously been at the club and grew up in Oxford ? Probably not but then who knows with dumb and dumber running the show.

Nobody hates him, I think everybody wants him to succeed. But as each game goes by we regress.
Nobody in this league is playing well, Portsmouth fans say they are shite, Posh lost at home to Wigan, under Ferguson they usually implode in spring.
This was a season of opportunity, but that is literally being thrown away. I accept it might get better but I see no signs of improvement, no plan, no structure, no desire, no belief and no leadership. That adds up to a recipe of disaster.

John Eustace was the man to bring in.
And yet somehow heโ€™s still not been picked up by any of the clubs whoโ€™ve sacked their managers recently. Could it be that he wants Championship football not League One.

Back
Top Bottom