Home Match Day Thread 03/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Reading

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And yet somehow he’s still not been picked up by any of the clubs who’ve sacked their managers recently. Could it be that he wants Championship football not League One.

So why did he interview?

He wanted to come here, because of the potential of the football club, new stadium, and some exciting players to work with.

At B’ham he did what it took to get results, and made do with what he had. I’m certain things would of improved, and of course EFL experience.

GF and TW I fear have made a big mistake. Let’s see how it pans out.

One thing is for certain we are currently not good enough to finish in the top six. I bet if LM never jumped ship, we’d be sitting in a prettier position than we are now.

So why did he interview?

He wanted to come here, because of the potential of the football club, new stadium, and some exciting players to work with.

At B’ham he did what it took to get results, and made do with what he had. I’m certain things would of improved, and of course EFL experience.

GF and TW I fear have made a big mistake. Let’s see how it pans out.

One thing is for certain we are currently not good enough to finish in the top six. I bet if LM never jumped ship, we’d be sitting in a prettier position than we are now.
Eustace was my 1st choice but I also find it odd that he hasn’t got another job yet since leaving Brum.
As for Manning, we were never going to keep up that early season form and pundits pointed this out at the time that we were punching above our performances.
We also had started to get the injury crisis that we still have so I’m not sure we would be much better off. Although we would be slightly better off due to not having the drawn out issues around the recruitment of Des and the lack of recruitment with other staff.

A wild-haired old boy near me stood up and shouted Rubbish! at the end. Was it one of you?

Could plausibility describe me, but I think wrong stand, and also I was a bit drained of emotion by the end yesterday.

Out of interest which 3?!

Cummings
Stevens
Edwards
Goodwin
Potentially an in form Browne aswell.

Bodin, Long, Murphy & Bennett would strengthen the bench massively too, as would Browne if he didn’t start.
Browne or Edwards only one of them would start, and only then if we dropped one our 2 new wingers.

Last edited:
Tell me how many matches Neil Collins managed in England prior to joining Barnsley. It’s not uncommon to sign managers with no experience. Burton’s Martin Paterson is in his first managerial role and Lincoln have recruited a manager from the youth set up at Leeds with zero EFL experience.

This view that DB is some kind of country bumpkin who has wandered in from a league in India is a weird one. He would have been coached in the same style as Manning and has shown plenty of competence in league and international management. You don’t fall under the City Group umbrella without something about you.

I get it isn’t going for him right now and I was frustrated as anyone that we just didn’t go for it enough today (like a number of Manning performances too) but this treatment of him as some sort of tactical vacuum and overpromoted local boy isn’t born out by the evidence of his previous jobs.

Things need to improve but to me it was never going to be a season where we got promoted this season. The baggage Robinson has left behind still needs clearing.
I agree with a lot of this re; Des’ background etc, but he doesn’t seem to be stamping his authority with the team/squad or showing any direction in terms of his style of play.

In some ways it seems like some players don’t really respect him or they’re not really inspired by him as a leader. It’s as though their saying ‘who does this new kid on block think his is’. May be this is where he needs his own management support system around him or may be it it’s a case of the right job, but at the wrong time!

I also think, not addressing the forward issue in terms of getting an experienced proven striker in may turn out to be an own goal. Let’s just hope that Goodwin proves to be that player because the whole place needs a lift.

Eustace was my 1st choice but I also find it odd that he hasn’t got another job yet since leaving Brum.
As for Manning, we were never going to keep up that early season form and pundits pointed this out at the time that we were punching above our performances.
We also had started to get the injury crisis that we still have so I’m not sure we would be much better off. Although we would be slightly better off due to not having the drawn out issues around the recruitment of Des and the lack of recruitment with other staff.
He’s pining over not going the job here 😉

If you were a neutral watching that yesterday, you would think it was non league.

Neither side could even get the basics right, really annoying!

Nearly every side above us now have games in hand, and I can't see us going on a winning streak.

Not joining the doom mongering squad, but looks like we are falling short yet again.

Hopefully I am proved wrong..

Moore has been putting in 8/10 performances since the turn of the year. Deserves praise as he’s defending for 2 people with brown next to him. He is okay as a squad option but we should be looking to upgrade in the summer & sign another CB.
I thought Negru played well in along side Moore at the start of the season, but was then dropped by Manning which seemed odd!

Negru used to bring the ball out from defence like McNally used to, but since then we don’t have any central defenders wanting to do this. This used to help us break through the thirds/give us another option/make the opposition think, but now we’re one dimensional.

I’m baffled by our throw in tactics.
Just fling the ball in Harris’ direction who I think won about one header all game, heading the ball isn’t his thing really and he had 2 players on him so what’s the point? If he does get his head on it then what? Rarely was anybody behind him for a flick on so what the heck is the tactic.
On the other side of the fence we seem very happy to just let the opposition throw to feet and keep possession.

I was straight out of the door at FT to a birthday party, so time to reflect on things.

We are so up and down it's amazing...hard to fathom which version of the team or individual players turn up on the day.
I wouldn't say we had Reading "at our mercy" at any time in the game to be honest, they also played a decent high press in midfield and eventually got their reward. Our issue is that the tactics changed as soon as Burey went off. No outlet, little pace and invited them on to us with the same results as has been seen repeatedly this season.
Their captain was on a yellow and we barely made him work up a sweat.
Eastwood and playing from the back (goal kick heart attacks) is about as much use as a fish riding a bicycle...instils a complete lack of confidence in the defence.
Negru at fault for the goal, as we would have feared. But Reading obviously had a game plan in focusing on him. I don't see a game plan in place when we play, for the most part.
McGuane, Rodrigues and Brannagan all bang average today...you can't have your entire midfield absent and hope to get anything.
Harris did enormously well in the first half but faded along with everyone else in the second.
Overall two points lost (again) and the reason we will probably be mid-table rather than playoffs.

I see lots of comments on here about reading being only second to Swindon in our rivalries well yesterday that was crap for a derby match I think there is more of an atmosphere when we play Bristol rovers or Wycombe.

As for what's going on on the pitch it's not very good is it Des is clearly out of his depth BUT he needs/needed an experienced assistant and what did the chicken brothers provide him with an inexperienced assistant Very helpful . Imo we aren't going up we won't make the play offs which is disappointing.

I'm not going to call for Des to get sacked personally I think the idiots above him ( T.W G.F ) should hand in their resignations

In some ways it seems like some players don’t really respect him or they’re not really inspired by him as a leader. It’s as though their saying ‘who does this new kid on block think his is’.
What are these ways? Could you give specific examples?

We were not helped yesterday having to play Negru at right back (he was awful and definitely should not be considered a RB even as the last resort, and Eastwood in goal (his control and distribution was dreadful), but that cannot detract from Buckingham’s tactical incompétences. Our press and shape was horrendous with the space between the defence and front line enough to claim a new country (minor exagération). Bringing GO’D on left me dumbfounded as he is so far off L1 pace currently it is not fair on him or the team (the damage to his confidence and career is immeasurable). If he had not been CFG and a local lad, the patience with Buckingham’s lack of style and structure would have dissipated several games before. It’s a desperate mess at the moment despite some quality in our side.

The above said, we are just about safe from relegation so no point changing the manager now. We need to see if he can turn it around (it’s a big ask on his initial showing), but be ready to replace him at the end of the season if our fears continue to materialise. But is TW capable of picking the right man next time - I won’t hold my breath!

Andrew Crofts was my choice, as he was after Robinson.
But we went with Des so let him get on with it.
Manning had the same problems for half a season here. managing just to keep us up.
He’s now struggling to improve Bristol City in the league.

Last edited:
Back to the goal that we conceded and again with all goals there are likely to be three errors that preceded it.

A weak challenge from Rodrigues, Negru pressured on his first touch with the ball getting blocked. The Reading sub galloping away causing Moore to cover and Brown,
wary of where Sam Smith is , may have taken his eye off the ball and could not adjust.

It was a goal out of nothing but so typical of the cheap goals we are conceding.

Have to say that as James Henry wasn’t brought on I think it’s fair to say that barring another five injuries his game against Portsmouth was the last time we will see him in an Oxford shirt, because it looks like Bodin, Murphy,Goodwin will all be available.

Nice to think that the last time he touched the ball for us he scored
He has been a fantastic player for us over the years

We were not helped yesterday having to play Negru at right back (he was awful and definitely should not be considered a RB even as the last resort, and Eastwood in goal (his control and distribution was dreadful), but that cannot detract from Buckingham’s tactical incompétences. Our press and shape was horrendous with the space between the defence and front line enough to claim a new country (minor exagération). Bringing GO’D on left me dumbfounded as he is so far off L1 pace currently it is not fair on him or the team (the damage to his confidence and career is immeasurable). If he had not been CFG and a local lad, the patience with Buckingham’s lack of style and structure would have dissipated several games before. It’s a desperate mess at the moment despite some quality in our side.

The above said, we are just about safe from relegation so no point changing the manager now. We need to see if he can turn it around (it’s a big ask on his initial showing), but be ready to replace him at the end of the season if our fears continue to materialise. But is TW capable of picking the right man next time - I won’t hold my breath!
Reality is, sitting in the North Stand as I do, it's pretty obvious that teams have been targeting our right side for most of the season. It's consistently been our weakest area defensively whoever has played there. While Negru was our fourth choice RB, there have been huge holes whoever has played there.

I’ve slept on it.

Utter dogshite.

Said to the lads I went with that it was very disappointing….and that was half time!

Actually thought from SSU that the fans did alright at times to be honest if you factor in the lack of passion on the pitch.

What worries me is Blackpool are next up, and they have the best home record in the division (in terms of points) bar none. After that there are perhaps some winnable games, but it all feels like a struggle to get the odd point here and there at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom