Home Match Day Thread 1/1/2022 L1: OUFC v Cheltenham Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negatives

We need a set piece coach….

Cheltenham goal shouldn’t of stood, Blatant foul on Brannagan.

Seddon & Long we’re poor.

Kane & Brannagan passing was off.

Taylor looked knackered.

Positives

Another goal for Sykes.

Good cameo by Whyte.

Moore & Thorniley good again defensively.

I very much doubt that Dam is long for this forum.......

Anyways, poor today from the majority.

Was saying in the week that if you want to be in contention for the automatics, you can't afford many off-days - particularly against teams in the bottom half.
Well for all that Cheltenham defended decently, that was decidedly an off-day from Oxford.

Week off now to recover, and then we need to be back on it again next Saturday, and reproducing our midweek performance. Lincoln's another should-win game, the way they've been going.

What was the Brazil of EFL 1 doing today, was all your reserve team you were waxing lyrical about against Wigan out as well as the superstars they replaced.
I suspect you have been waiting anxiously in your bedroom, hovering over your keyboard, waiting for us to drop points, ever since we played you so that you could type this. No idea why we have got in your head so badly but happy new year anyway!

The dreaded phone in callers are back on WATG show..think statistically teams are not likely to score from corners but we could be more threatening it's true.

Can't win every game, we kept plugging away!

Up the U's!

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but until we can find ways around teams that press us and mark the key midfielders out of the game, we aren't going to be getting into the automatics.

I thought McGuane was our worst player today. I didn't see him do anything useful, was very lazy out of possession. It's no wonder we improved when he went off.
He's certainly not justifying his fee or the decent wage that probably came with it. Need more from him.

Cheltenham didn't play on Wednesday and they showed.

Wycombe v Sunderland next Saturday, Wycombe are looking annoyingly good.

That's what good teams and managers do tactics. But miss a penalty goals make points. Another 4 points this week move onto the next . Players coming back Players coming in games to win . The trouble is we have got so used to bossing games it's tough to take . Goodness we've come along way .

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but until we can find ways around teams that press us and mark the key midfielders out of the game, we aren't going to be getting into the automatics.
We'll seecwhonwe bring in in January. But yeah, realistically I think the playoffs will be where we finish.

Buzzing for this one after missing the Wimbledon game due to SARS-Cov-2. Don't you just love waking up on a match day?
Player ratings:

Eastwood: 5 - One good save, one mistake when the ball bounced over him and he was saved by Long. Didn’t have too much to do.

Long: 5 - Solid enough defensively but his crossing was poor

Moore: 5- Looked strong, composed, was nutmegged at one point

Thorniley: 5 - Quiet game, didn’t do much wrong, his long passing wasn’t quite there

Seddon: 3 - Gave the ball away a lot, miscontrolled it, crossing wasn’t great either

Kane: 3 - His worst game I’ve seen. Gave the ball away, had a dodgy touch, couldn’t pass long

Brannigan: 6 - Worked hard, pinged some great balls as well as some bad ones, and shot wide a lot. Not his best game but not awful.

McGuane: 6 - I thought he looked good, worked hard, didn’t give the ball away and passed it forwards well. Clever ball to win the penalty and I don’t buy this ‘it was overhit’ - he did well to even see it.

Sykes: 5 - Was poor for most of the game but scored to be fair to him, was in the right place at the right time.

Williams: 4 - Anonymous.

Taylor 3: Loses a mark for an awful penalty which probably cost us the game. Didn’t play very well apart from that.

Subs:

Whyte: 7 - Changed the game when he came on. They couldn’t live with his pace or direct running. Great cross for the goal

Winnall: 3 - Had four or five opportunities to affect the game. Messed up every single one.
Cannot give mcGuane a 6. Looked to be in a daze and surprised he lasted 60 mins. Playing a bit too far forward, perhaps. Is he at full fitness?

Someone made a good point on the radio.... Teams.. ie Wigan etc are going to have a backlog of games,
We, at the moment have very few

And let's be honest if you want to go up you can't d it with one striker I know today wasn't his day but he couldn't do it in the championship. So if we want to go up and stay there now is the time for the second coming we need the new Aldridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom