Home Match Day Thread 1/1/2022 L1: OUFC v Cheltenham Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it so, so strange to see all the people saying McGuane was bad - but enough people have said it that I am questioning myself. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t think he was amazing by any means, but (as the commentators mentioned a couple of times) he absolutely glides forwards with the ball, and one such break ended with him playing a great ball out wide right to Sykes. He also played the ball through to Taylor for the penalty, and did a couple more just like it which didn’t come off but were good, progressive, defence splitting passes. A lot of his passing was sharp, one touch, and he kept the ball well. I will read the Oxford Mail player ratings with interest to see if they agree with me that he was head and shoulders above the likes of Kane, Williams and Sykes today, who should be getting far more criticism than McGuane in my view.

I think people are being too complementary to Cheltenham as well, their recent record speaks volumes. Much better than Wimbledon, sure, but a very limited team which on another day we beat comfortably.

Flipping Winnall, and also Williams much as I like him, did sweet football association, I was very surprised when McGuane came off instead of him, thought McGuane was silky and would do well in a number ten role if defensively he's not our best

Last edited:
We looked a bit jaded today, maybe tired legs from Wednesday?

McGuane is a player I'd like to see do well, he seems to have the physique and potential, but it isn't happening for him yet. Midfield just didn't click with him in there. But he wasn't the only one to have an indifferent game. That said, Cheltenham didn't make it easy for us and worked hard to close down the spaces.

To be fair, I don't think it was the worst penalty in the world. What I mean is putting a penalty down the middle is fairly common in football and most of the time you don't see the keeper gamble by staying put. Percentage wise it must be quite a high scoring penalty so wasn't bad in that sense. Fair play to the keeper.
It was a badly taken penalty full of risk, and he got it completely wrong. Stick it high or low in either corner and he scores more often than not, that is the safer, less risky penalty.
Easiest ‘save’ the keeper will make for a long time, who knows what could have happened after he’d scored but I hope we don’t rue the dropped points at the end of the season.

It was a badly taken penalty full of risk, and he got it completely wrong. Stick it high or low in either corner and he scores more often than not, that is the safer, less risky penalty.
Easiest ‘save’ the keeper will make for a long time, who knows what could have happened after he’d scored but I hope we don’t rue the dropped points at the end of the season.
Like I said, percentage wise I'm not sure it was full of risk. My view is it's actually low risk in many ways.

Like I said, percentage wise I'm not sure it was full of risk. My view is it's actually low risk in many ways.
I’m guessing you’re not or never have been a goalkeeper. Stick one down the middle as hard as you like, high or low and I’ll save them all day long; either corner, top or bottom and even at 6’2” I’m not getting near it. Which is riskier?

I really don’t understand why people hit low penalties as the keeper always goes low.

We played Wednesday, they didn’t. Made a big big difference . Bran and Kane not at the races. Nor Sykes; he had a mare. But he still scored. A valuable asset. Reading the post match runes I’d say he’s looking to move this window. ( Hope not.)

We did alright considering we were playing with 10 for most of game. I’m talking McGuane. His off the ball play is quite woeful. Sorry, don’t rate him.

We should have brought Whyte on earlier; what a terrific cameo.

Cheltenham have a very decent manager and were very awkward customers indeed. We could do worse than buy Alfie May; great little forward, similarities to Taylor in way he plays.

I like Long’s attitude; he always shows for ball however he happens to be playing. Bit of a cult hero these days.

Wish could say the same about Seddon. He is ok going forward, (like so many modern fullbacks) , but can’t tackle. Can see this costing us in future six pointers. We need to improve on him.

Taylor’s penalty was a bit of a joke. He seemed the most tired of the lot. Not surprising considering his recent significant efforts Whoever Robbo gets in up front must be an improvement on the comatose Winnall. More of a badger in the box than a fox. I.e slow, greedy and potentially violent.

Centre backs both very good and we should be looking to make Thorniley
permanent.

I’m guessing you’re not or never have been a goalkeeper. Stick one down the middle as hard as you like, high or low and I’ll save them all day long; either corner, top or bottom and even at 6’2” I’m not getting near it. Which is riskier?
Guess you're not the greatest goalkeeper if you never dive for a penalty?!

Followtheox1 is correct. Statistically down the middle is the best place to shoot, as 98/100 times the goalkeeper dives one way or the other.
Unfortunately because it was saved, it looks poor.
This is covered in this QI clip.

Agree with pottersrightboot we need someone as good as Taylor up front not an average player who comes as back up. Taylor out season over whether it’s Harrison Winnall or Agyei.

Think Allie May looked really good today, liked what I saw. This board have shown they have ambition so why not.

I posted earlier and have now been to the pub, had me tea and still angry with McGuane, hopeless tracking back all game, if that is his best then it’s not good enough by a mile.

Sykes need a decent contract, Whyte if we can get him on a permanent, same with Thorniley the rest just a gentle kick up the rear, what a difference a few days make.

Winnal and Agyie can leave anytime.

Followtheox1 is correct. Statistically down the middle is the best place to shoot, as 98/100 times the goalkeeper dives one way or the other.
Unfortunately because it was saved, it looks poor.
This is covered in this QI clip.
There’s an old book by Ray Clemence that taught me everything you need to know about saving penalties. I’d recommend it to any aspiring keepers, it’s really not rocket science.
Diving one way or the other without any idea about where the ball is going first is pure guesswork and tantamount to playing the Lotto. Good luck with that.

No, but I've been a striker and from your response I can't believe you have ever been a keeper! Clearly not reading my post properly either! Most top penalty takers (Kane, Salah, Lampard etc) often put it down the middle as part of their penalty taking repertoire, contrary to your belief, most keepers will dive to one side. Percentage wise a penalty down the middle is quite low risk in my view (more likely to hit the target and keeper often gambles to one side). Rarely do you see a keeper gamble by staying in the middle. Fair play to the keeper.

There’s an old book by Ray Clemence that taught me everything you need to know about saving penalties. I’d recommend it to any aspiring keepers, it’s really not rocket science.
Diving one way or the other without any idea about where the ball is going first is pure guesswork and tantamount to playing the Lotto. Good luck with that.
Yes, other than good stats to go on which obviously clubs will have on regular penalty takers to guide keepers, keepers will gamble. If you wait to see where the taker has put the ball, it's often too late to save it!

Funny old game, isn’t it?

We were lethargic throughout today. Take a point and move on.

Observations:

- Decent crowd but the atmosphere again was dire. Truly horrific listening from the SSU. Something has to change or attitudes around making a good old racket all round the stadium needs to change.
- Alfie May is a player. I’d very much like us to sign him.
- Seddon had a poor game, both in and out of possession.
- Bran and Kane looked leggy.
- Gav Whyte was excellent. I make it 3 assists in 2 games.

Big game next Saturday. Get there if you can!

Decent crowd but the atmosphere again was dire. Truly horrific listening from the SSU. Something has to change or attitudes around making a good old racket all round the stadium needs to change

First time I've been in the east stand since the conference promotion season today. I'm not sure what has changed since them times as it was really flat today all around the ground.

Someone made a good point on the radio.... Teams.. ie Wigan etc are going to have a backlog of games,
We, at the moment have very few
The ironic thing is, we ended up having 10 games in February due to a back log of games and I vaguely recall us doing well, but could be wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom