Home Match Day Thread 1/1/2022 L1: OUFC v Cheltenham Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a difference a few days makes.
Brilliant play and atmosphere against Wimbledon and very poor play in the first half and atmosphere was awful-even with the bigger crowd.

We gave it a go in the second half and just ran out of time to get the winner.

They gave up when our goal went in and were happy with the draw which is not surprising.

Alfie May looked good - he was the only one on their side that stood out- but somebody mentioned his poor stats on here so not sure if yesterday was a usual or unusual performance for him!?

They contained us and were good at that but that’s about it. Bottom half table team.

Thought there would be more in the away end given the short distance but fair play to them for clapping the fans and players that had passed away.

We need to bring in 2 forwards IMO. An experienced player and a younger player-easier said than done I realise. As we all know, if Matty gets an injury we are in big trouble.

Players out…winnall of course (don’t think it will happen though) and Agyei (unfortunately I just don’t think he’s up to league 1 standard).

Already looking forward to Lincoln…

I thought McGuane was as good as anyone while he was on the pitch (which was quite a low bar). Everyone felt flat though. Herbie Kane in particular seemed a different player from Wednesday. Gavin Whyte made the difference when he came on. If he'd been fit enough to start, it might have made things interesting.

Another game with a number of missed chances too many
We need to finish better, even on target would be a start

I take it back I just looked at his stats. Bit Harrisonesque for a striker.

In anticipation of the Dickie sell on clause I think we should be going Hollywood this window in the striker search to get Taylor’s long term replacement

I think it was a Cilla Black related pun!

Last edited:
Yes, angle of run up used to be something keepers paid particular focus on but modern penalty takers are well versed in going anywhere in the goal, however they run up. Occasionally you see a player where it is really obvious but not that often. Yes angle of the foot is something I've heard keepers talk about but again penalty takers are well versed in disguising where they are going to put the ball (the expression sent the keeper the wrong way) and a keeper has a split second to see the angle of the foot etc. I'm sure you are right and unlike the multitude of top international keepers Jorginho comes up against, you would go the right way and save the majority of his penalties!!!
I’m late 50’s, first I’d see of the ball nowadays is picking it out of the net.😉

We looked a bit jaded today, maybe tired legs from Wednesday?

McGuane is a player I'd like to see do well, he seems to have the physique and potential, but it isn't happening for him yet. Midfield just didn't click with him in there. But he wasn't the only one to have an indifferent game. That said, Cheltenham didn't make it easy for us and worked hard to close down the spaces.
Thought we looked tired
We usually play Tuesday nights and after the 10 day break since Wigan a d some of our players having COVID perhaps that game was a day too soon

I thought McGuane was better than Brannagan and Kane
McGuane at least attempted to break the lines with forward passes and a couple were beauties.
He currently needs to improve on his physicality - last season he seemed to have more power in the centre of the park.

Cheltenham‘s shape seemed to flummox us . For the best part of three years Duff has employed a 3-5-2 system and 5-4-1
when the opposition have the ball and we just could not play fluidly through the thirds. We lacked movement and speed out
wide and Kane and Brannagan could not find a way through.

Cheltenham deserve credit for their organisation and work ethic and were everything that AFC Wimbledon were not !

The best moves of the first half came from McGuane, especially when he took the ball down on the edge of our area and then took the ball out and turned it into a dangerous attack practically on his own. He/we suffered a bit from the fact that Williams on the left got found out yesterday, a competent full back just showed him onto his left foot and he doesn’t have one so he cut back in and that killed all our momentum down that side of the pitch, we had no real outlet down that flank yesterday, would of been a good day for Holland to have been available.

Some people need a whipping boy for any perceived bad result and as no one is playing particularly badly right now maybe he is getting it, he is obviously a class prospect and was no worse than others yesterday.

Alfie May looked really good, but I got the feel he is more of a playmaker (the number 10 on his back is apposite) than an out-and-out goalscorer. Still their best player by miles.

As much as we didn't play great, lets not forget that you usually are more likely than not to score a penalty, and if we had then we'd have gone ahead in the game which would have stopped Cheltenham's timewasting plans and forced them to come out at us. Plus we had some good chances which we missed, and TWO goals ruled out, whereas their only real chance was the goal and a save that Eastwood made fairly comfortably. Don't get me wrong, looking at their awful recent record, and the fact that we're supposedly going for the autos, we really should be beating them at home - but we were pretty close to doing that. Win against Lincoln and get a point/win against Wycombe and it will soon be forgotten.

Many happy memories of wine touring in Margaret River back in 2007!
Actually many happy memories of Perth and Freemantle in general. And that random miniature version of Abingdon just down the coast. And Day One at the WACA as well (though the rest of the test you can forget......)

I would envy your living situation even more if you weren't so bloody far from literally anything else!
It’s hell I tell ya. 3600C989-2AD8-4ED3-A165-B0AC1DD2A8D6.jpeg
Remoteness is relative. When we lived in Dundee people said “how can you live so far away?”. Pre covid I could get on a plane on a Friday evening and get off at LHR at 6, pick up a car and be in Kidlington by 7:30 am. Would be a bit expensive round trip for the footy though.

I know I’m a bit of a fanboy but I thought Williams did alright, in the first half at least. There were chunks where he was doing his and seddons jobs. Eg Coming back, letting seddon overlap, being given a hospital pass with the full back right on him, losing the ball, chasing back (and succeeding) to cover left back, then when the ball turns around, pelting over 90% of the length of the pitch to (successfully) get on the end of a long ball into the corner (with the full back right on him again). Lots of nicely timed runs into space around the left corner of the box, while the ball was (mis)played elsewhere. If his close control was better he would be unbeatable.

Who watches for encroachment for penalties… if the Lino is watching keepers feet and the ref is staring at ball / goal…

It’s hell I tell ya. View attachment 7705
Remoteness is relative. When we lived in Dundee people said “how can you live so far away?”. Pre covid I could get on a plane on a Friday evening and get off at LHR at 6, pick up a car and be in Kidlington by 7:30 am. Would be a bit expensive round trip for the footy though.
Honestly thought you were a little older given the quality of your posts 😉

I don’t think I can handle this whilst still grieving Joe Gattos departure from Impractical Jokers

(Also I don’t get the reference)
Cilla Black had a hit with a song called “What’s it all about Alfie” .

That’s how I took it anyhow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom