5th Test 12-16 September 2019 The Oval

Well, this would already be the second highest 4th innings chase in Test history (22 more runs and it would be #1).

I can understand why they kept batting (gives the bowlers some extra rest - and we'll have five and a half sessions to bowl them out anyhow), but we've clearly got enough runs.

The only real reason to bat tomorrow morning is to annoy/put a little doubt in the Aussie openers' minds as to when they're going to be in.

I didn't see - did Harris end up fielding today, or are the Aussies going to have to use a makeshift opener?

And respect to Denly. He was clearly batting for his place today, and almost certainly did enough to get himself on tour this winter (which will probably annoy his wife, as it'll get him off baby duty!). Would still like to see us take an alternative opener to New Zealand, though, because I'm still not convinced that Denly is the long-term answer.......
I agree that Denly probably isn't the long term answer, but think he might have done enough to get on the two winter tours. That'll then give next sumemr versus West Indies and Pakistan to bed in someone new if needed.

I agree that Denly probably isn't the long term answer, but think he might have done enough to get on the two winter tours. That'll then give next sumemr versus West Indies and Pakistan to bed in someone new if needed.
I also think Denly has done enough to stay in the team but I think it will be back down at 3, allowing Root to go back to 4. The search goes on for a good solid test quality opener.

I also really hope Foakes is given a run with the gloves in the team soon. Bairstow has done ok but I just feel he’s more of a white ball wicketkeeper/batsman than a conventional test wicketkeeper.

Chase for Aussies is just shy of 400.... reckon England should tie this one up tomorrow morning

Broad last man in, added a useful 12 with 2 sixes just to rub in the advantage ? :)

Warne chirping away on Sky saying he thinks Warner is going to get a big hundred today to help get Australia over the line...

Hahahaha Warne shutup mid-sentence by Broad! ? Saying to Nas ‘you’re worried aren’t you’ just as Harris off stump goes cartwheeling...

Broadyyyyyy (again).... Warner gone

Now skittle Sandpaper Smith & his clone ... break that partnership before it gets started England

Broadyyyyyy (again).... Warner gone

Now skittle Sandpaper Smith & his clone ... break that partnership before it gets started England
Broad nailed on as England’s player of the series for me. He’s stood up and taken on the responsibility of being England’s senior bowler brilliantly.

Having just got to 300 with wickets to spare, and on the back of a 3-0 home win, I thought it might be nice to check in with your post!!

Having a little optimism occasionally pays off!!
'Pays off'? It's not your 'optimism' that made either thing happen! :ROFLMAO:
I was wearing my lucky socks yesterday, and that is just as likely to have made the difference...
Of course I am delighted by the scores in both games. Perhaps the performance in the football a little less.

'Pays off'? It's not your 'optimism' that made either thing happen! :ROFLMAO:
I was wearing my lucky socks yesterday, and that is just as likely to have made the difference...
Of course I am delighted by the scores in both games. Perhaps the performance in the football a little less.
Of course my predictions are entirely meaningless, more so than your lucky socks. But that is why I find it strange when posts are shot down, like mine was a couple of days ago. My 'optimism' thought that the openers would come good, set a base for others to bat around on a decent day for batting, and get the 300 needed to keep the Aussies under pressure. That was guesswork, but a slightly educated version based on what I'd seen to date.

But it's all entirely irrelevant, we could watch Archer and Broad rip this team apart or sit back as Smith scores 250 to outdo Stokes in a famous victory. But as we all do love a prediction, I'll go with Curran getting Smith for around 30 and the Aussies all out for under 200 by the close of play.

Has a side ever had two worse openers than Harris and Warner (even us)? Yet go on to be successful in a series? Remembering the stick Collingwood got off the Aussies for celebrating winning the Ashes in 2005 those two should have to carry Smith all the way home, might just about make up for the way he has carried them.

Of course my predictions are entirely meaningless, more so than your lucky socks. But that is why I find it strange when posts are shot down, like mine was a couple of days ago.
People disagreeing with you or offering a different opinion/prediction is not 'shooting you down' and I suspect you probably attract more of it than others because of your slightly odd 'persona' on this forum. And what comes across as 'gloating' when your best guess turns out to be better than someone else's best guess is very peculiar IMO...

I never understand why bowlers insist on bowling so close to the line. Bowl 6 inches behind it - then the chances of overstepping and this kind of thing happening is almost eliminated and I can't imagine it would make *that* much difference to their lines and lengths...

I never understand why bowlers insist on bowling so close to the line. Bowl 6 inches behind it - then the chances of overstepping and this kind of thing happening is almost eliminated and I can't imagine it would make *that* much difference to their lines and lengths...
But of adrenaline making him overstride on his run in maybe? Doesn't take much of a stride extension over say a 20 yard run in to move your landing forward six inches or so...

Back
Top Bottom