Home Match Day Thread 16/4/24 Oxford United v Lincoln City

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fullbacks need to overlap the wingers (Murphy & Dale) to break the lines (when teams put 2 to 3 banks of players), this either creating space for our wingers or enabling them to pass to the over-lapping fullback. Would also create space inside to play through the middle, but the likes of Rodrigues is key to that which unfortunately he wasn’t Tuesday night, in fact he was one of our poorest players e.g. by being weak and losing possession so many times.

When Leigh went forward on Tuesday we created our best chance (Goodrham), that’s because we broke their lines/banks of players. It means the other fullback needs to sit in if the other one has gone, and vice versa, plus the holding midfielder needs to sit in too to ensure we’re not caught out on the break etc.

It also didn’t help that Leigh had a poor game Tuesday either. Too many touches to get ball under control, meaning he was then too slow in moving/passing the next ball. Like I said in another thread, he seems to get the ball stuck under his body upon receiving the ball at times, meaning he needs one or two touches to get the ball under control, so by this time he’s either shut down/having to play a hurried pass putting the next player under pressure. But his attributes (strength, heading, athleticism and sort of pace) sort of out weigh this negative! Because of this I think he’s better further up the pitch (wingback), hence the difficulty of whether to go with Bennett or him (Leigh)!

Murphy and Dale play too wide for the full back to overlap without leaving the pitch. Murphy is also our fastest player, so asking someone to run ahead of him means he has to slow down.

The chance you refer to involves Leigh driving forwards inside, rather than overlapping.

In the second half, when Murphy dropped deeper and brought multiple opposition players with him, the space was behind the full back who stepped up and the CM and/or CB who stepped across. I think we needed the 8/10 to run diagonally out into the channel when the Murph dropped short and wide, with the full back moving inside to the space they vacate.

Come to think of it, Leigh did this at least once in the second half - but those forward runs and getting the ball out by the corner flags are roles that Ty or Browne would perform much better than Bran, and that was part of the reason we stalled in the second.

Unfortunately, when you keep the same team what after 15 mins destroyed Peterborough then the opposition head coach of the next supposedly 'lambs to the slaughter ' justs grills his side into how he/she expects us to play. Simple.

Keep the other side guessing at all times with tweaks and B*****s to what the masses think. If all of you thought by keeping the same side that this would work again without fatigue then.....

COYY'S
I think it was perfectly fine to start with the same team, but when certain players are clearly not on their game e.g. Rodrigues, you need to make changes quicker. How Rodrigues stayed on the pitch as long as he did (87th minute) was beyond me. I would have hoicked him off (oh err misses!) a lot earlier and would have put either Bodin or Browne in that role. But replacing Rodrigues with McGuane was odd, especially as we were chasing the game with literally minutes to go!! Our substitutions were poor e.g. taking off the wrong players and putting square (ish) pegs in round holes, so didn’t impact/change the game.

Last edited:
Murphy and Dale play too wide for the full back to overlap without leaving the pitch. Murphy is also our fastest player, so asking someone to run ahead of him means he has to slow down.

The chance you refer to involves Leigh driving forwards inside, rather than overlapping.

In the second half, when Murphy dropped deeper and brought multiple opposition players with him, the space was behind the full back who stepped up and the CM and/or CB who stepped across. I think we needed the 8/10 to run diagonally out into the channel when the Murph dropped short and wide, with the full back moving inside to the space they vacate.

Come to think of it, Leigh did this at least once in the second half - but those forward runs and getting the ball out by the corner flags are roles that Ty or Browne would perform much better than Bran, and that was part of the reason we stalled in the second.
It gives Murphy the chance to go inside e.g. Leigh takes one or more of the opposition players with him, then we’re not one dimensional e.g. Murphy just going on the outside. Murphy & Dale were just running up dark allies in the end with 2 or 3 of their players crowding them out, thus amounting to nothing. And yes, at times the fullback can go inside (like Leigh did), again it moves/breaks their lines, but this has to start from deep (our defenders) doing this. It also means at times our central defenders need to carry the ball/break their lines by driving forward rather than just passing it along the back 4 backwards and forwards which a Lincoln were happy for us to do, hence us having 70% possession, but creating little from it! A bit like City last night! Was Haaland actually on the pitch?

Last edited:
I think it was perfectly fine to start with the same team, but when certain players are clearly not on their game e.g. Rodrigues, you need to make changes quicker. How Rodrigues stayed on the pitch as long as he did (87th minute) was beyond me. I would have hoicked him off (oh err misses!) a lot earlier and would have put either Bodin or Browne in that role. But replacing Rodrigues with McGuane was odd, especially as we were chasing the game with literally minutes to go!! Our substitutions were poor e.g. taking off the wrong players and putting square (ish) pegs in round holes, so didn’t impact/change the game.
He wanted to push Cam further forward so can see why he put McGuane on. However, I think Goodrham was unlucky to be subbed when he was as I thought he was having a better game than Rodrigues.

It gives Murphy the chance to go inside e.g. Leigh takes one or more of the opposition players with him, then we’re not one dimensional e.g. Murphy just going on the outside. Murphy & Dale were just running up dark allies in the end with 2 or 3 of their players crowding them out, thus amounting to nothing. And yes, at times the fullback can go inside (like Leigh did), again it moves/breaks their lines, but this has to start from deep (our defenders) doing this. It also means at times our central defenders need to carry the ball/break their lines by driving forward rather than just passing it along the back 4 backwards and forwards which a Lincoln were happy for us to do, hence us having 70% possession, but creating little from it! A bit like City last night! Was Haaland actually on the pitch?
Lincoln’s number one focus in that game was not leaving Murphy one-on-one. The answer has to be exploiting the spaces that the opposition give us, rather than trying to engineer something for our best player when Lincoln will do anything to stop it. Murphy created gaps and space behind Lincoln in the second half by dropping deep, and we did not attack them.

I saw Leigh (and the rest of the team) put in plenty of crosses on Tuesday, I don’t think the answer was us getting to put in a few more from the byline.

Still, good chat and nice to have other perspectives.

Lincoln’s number one focus in that game was not leaving Murphy one-on-one. The answer has to be exploiting the spaces that the opposition give us, rather than trying to engineer something for our best player when Lincoln will do anything to stop it. Murphy created gaps and space behind Lincoln in the second half by dropping deep, and we did not attack them.

I saw Leigh (and the rest of the team) put in plenty of crosses on Tuesday, I don’t think the answer was us getting to put in a few more from the byline.

Totally agree.

Why on earth was Harris allowed to play the last 20/30 minutes of the Peterboro game when the result was wrapped up? He was running on fumes ….. and then asked to display high levels of energy against Lincoln! Poor decision by Buckingham unfortunately.
Yes, I think Harris gets left on for too long a lot given that he’s our only natural striker at the moment. I’d be taking him off any time the game is clearly won, as he’s starting to look absolutely wrecked by about the 70th minute mark in games.

I also thought that Browne looked brilliant in that game recently when he came on as a central striker to replace Harris - better than he has subsequently as a winger. He’s lost a touch of his pace which is limiting him a bit as a winger but he’s strong and tricky still which works as a striker. I’d be bringing him on to replace Harris and play centrally every game, either when the game is wrapped up or when Harris becomes so tired that he can barely run and his touch goes - so as I said usually around the 70th minute. Give the opposition centre backs Marcus Browne to deal with for 20/25 mins - nightmare for them.

Lincoln stopped us on both flanks e.g. did the day with Dale and Browne when he came on, so not just Murphy.

Also, wasn’t so much the crosses as they were going to win them 99% of the time (more physical/talker etc), hence getting into better positions within their box pulling it back on the deck (like the Goodrham chance), but the ball needed to be pulled back for our players to come in too/playing it in behinds theirs effectively.

I just feel we need to bring the ball out from defence when we play teams who basically get 11 players behind the ball/play direct route one football rather than just passing it along the back 4, thus giving the opposition to get back in position e.g. behind the ball.

Yes, I think Harris gets left on for too long a lot given that he’s our only natural striker at the moment. I’d be taking him off any time the game is clearly won, as he’s starting to look absolutely wrecked by about the 70th minute mark in games.

I also thought that Browne looked brilliant in that game recently when he came on as a central striker to replace Harris - better than he has subsequently as a winger. He’s lost a touch of his pace which is limiting him a bit as a winger but he’s strong and tricky still which works as a striker. I’d be bringing him on to replace Harris and play centrally every game, either when the game is wrapped up or when Harris becomes so tired that he can barely run and his touch goes - so as I said usually around the 70th minute. Give the opposition centre backs Marcus Browne to deal with for 20/25 mins - nightmare for them.
Which is what we should have done Saturday, especially when we were 4-0 up after 58mins!!

Yeah, when Browne came on at Shrewsbury away. I’d try him in behind Harris to see how that went e.g. in place of Rodrigues if he’s not on his game!

Lincoln stopped us on both flanks e.g. did the day with Dale and Browne when he came on, so not just Murphy.

Agreed, but Dale stayed high from my POV and I’m on the right side of the East, so I focussed on what I saw as the better opportunity.

Dale also rode his luck trying the same move again and again, Lincoln worked it out after about 35 minutes and he didn’t come up with anything new. Murphy required, and received, far more attention from that point, which meant more spaces opened up. Or I just can’t see the left hand side as well. 🤣

Also, wasn’t so much the crosses as they were going to win them 99% of the time (more physical/talker etc), hence getting into better positions within their box pulling it back on the deck (like the Goodrham chance), but the ball needed to be pulled back for our players to come in too/playing it in behinds theirs effectively.

Lincoln were happy to let us play down the sides. I don’t like doing what the opposition want us to do.

The difference in what we are advocating is marginal, but I think mine has two advantages:

If Leigh overlaps, he has to outpace a player and carry the ball round him to hit a low pass in. If he cuts inside, he has less distance to run, less people to beat, and he only has to shield off any outside challenge using his strength instead of pace/skill.

The player tasked with using skill and pace to beat his man is Tyler and/or Browne, instead of Leigh. They are far better suited to the task.

I just feel we need to bring the ball out from defence when we play teams who basically get 11 players behind the ball/play direct route one football rather than just passing it along the back 4, thus giving the opposition to get back in position e.g. behind the ball.

Whilst I voiced similar thoughts this some time ago, the most natural player to do this is Thorniley, and he is the least suited defender for the Lincoln attack. We had other options on Tues, and we didn’t use them. Cam going further forwards was not the answer. Leigh going forwards could have been, but inside rather than out.

A brilliant analytical view on our set up.
You're right the five attacking players won't sustain those levels of energy for a whole season.
It's a very basic tactical set up, will work against the weaker sides where we aren't under much pressure.
Don't think it will be successful against the top teams on a consistent basis.
It's great when it all clicks as against Peterborough.
We need more than one way of playing, this system is easily nullified as the other night against Lincoln.
They stifled the wingers and stopped us creating much particularly in the second half.
Their manager done his homework and stopped us from playing.
It's either arrogance or inexperience to think one style of play fits all.
We need different set ups against different styles of play.
It could also be described as a 4-1-4-1 formation.last night I was as checking Man City’s formation,4-1-4-1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom