Away Match Day Thread 17/02/2024 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2 massive home games coming up.

A good bit of ticket promotion from OUFC & a working ticketing website shouldn’t be too much to ask for should it?
Well, yeah, but 'ticketing website'? Think we will have it working in time?

For the record, the one or two who are suggesting that some people want Buckingham to fail are largely mistaken. Most want him to succeed (he succeeds OUFC succeeds), but his lack of tactical nous and structure is concerning. If Tim Williams really is a leader he will be well aware of this too and be making sure he has the right support (e.g. Experienced Interim Assistant - mentor) quickly as otherwise Des is likely to be a very expensive (failed) experiment.

And Des, stop priming people with excuses at the start of interviews (injuries, etc.), and promising it will be alright tomorrow (when everyone finds their feet after coming back) as firstly you sound like a broken record, and secondly, you are starting to sound like one of our predecessors. To be fair on the latter, all be it, at least a little more cultured version of him!

With the money we are spending on players fees & wages compared to Pompey & Derby there is a decent argument that we should be competing with them. However you could use the same argument for Man Utd in the last few years & their failure to compete with Man City & Liverpool.

The problem why we aren’t is past Des & the current squad in my eyes. Until this is addressed then I’m pretty happy with draws away at Wycombe & battling for 6th in League One.
Where does this idea that we're spending on a similar level to Pompey and Derby come from? You just need to look at the squads and recent transfers to see this almost certainly isn't the case.

Well that was like Tuesday night P**s poor. Football under Buckingham has gone backwards just very boring to watch at the minute that no clue, no pressure, no product ,no tactics was lucky in the first half against Wigan and lucky in first half today if we keep playing like this someone is going to give us a hammering and it could be Tuesday night against the cobblers at the minute we only got 20 minutes in us des cannot motavte these players. LONG should not be no where near this team he is awful getting done all the time Tuesday and today at the minute I don't want us to finish in the top 6 as it will be embarrassing again on sky as this team isn't a top 6 team in a P**s poor league so at the minute it doesn't bode well for us .I want championship football but it isn't going to happen for a few more years yet sadly.

Couple of observations about today.
Sam Long was taken to the cleaners so many times today. This is a massive problem area.
Hackett sat in the dugout all game not contributing at all. I appreciate he wasn’t Des’s choice but is this having a negative effect. DB ignores him, and Hackett’s body language looks shocking.
So you sat looking at the away dugout throughout the game? It must have been riveting. And to assess Chris Hackett's body language whilst he was sitting down. Wow, what a talent!

The Buckingham style of play appears to be hoofball as per the first half. Better in the second half. Need to find a happy medium between Manning’s teams taking goalkicks backwards and Buckingham's longball game.

With a proper footballing structure.

With owners who show their faces at games, with a chairman who is on the ground at the club constantly. CEO who does a proper job.

With a director of football & head of performance supporting a manager and his assistant manager.

That’s how they compete.

We have none of that. That’s why we are stuck as L1 play off team at best.

None of that is Des Buckinghams fault. The idea that Manning would’ve continued carrying the house to promotion is delusional in my eyes. It was always gonna go bad like this. The house is built on sand.
Absolutely agree with this. I don't think Buckingham is doing particularly well, I didn't see the game today but I've seen no style of play either attacking or defending, injuries haven't helped but you can still get teams organised and we haven't been.

However he's been hung out to dry by Tim and Grant regarding the backroom staff. Karl didn't want a DoF because god forbid he gave up any control, plus it's a proper football man coming in and assessing his performance who he might not have been able to bullshit. Tim said the same when asked a week or so after Robinson's comments but I'd love someone there as Williams can't manage the football side of things.

To not have an assistant manager is unforgivable, we tried to get some, failed and then basically gave up and said Hackett was doing it when that wasn't the case. We do at least have a Head of Performance now with Taylor replacing Routledge last week but that role was open for a couple of months or so and could have been filled earlier. The days of football clubs being run by a manager on their own are over, you need a team behind you and he's not been provided that.

Like you I don't think Manning would have taken us up but he had the advantage of coming in with a bit of a team, if nothing else it took away the opportunity for Williams to cock it up as he has with Buckingham. I don't buy into the board not wanting to go up or any of the last nonsense, I just think the guys who are running the show are hopeless.

I have to say his shooting in the warm up was really poor. I wondered if that was a sign of how he would play.
He is one player who has regressed hugely under Des (the opposite of Harris and Murphy who to be fair have flourished,).

Unfortunately we are lacking any kind of X factor at the moment and RR is the most likely to give that. We are bloody boring and predictable.

Our form is poor and that's with 4 draws and 1 win in the last 5 . We have really struggled and Des does not fill me with any Confidence, these next 2 games are massive, a minimum of 4 points required. But it's just what at times are we trying to do.

Our form is poor and that's with 4 draws and 1 win in the last 5 . We have really struggled and Des does not fill me with any Confidence, these next 2 games are massive, a minimum of 4 points required. But it's just what at times are we trying to do.
We need to win Tuesday.
Then the form will be good- 8 points in 4 games.
I am sure that we all want this to happen. 6 points clear of 7th and 8 points in 4 games will look a lot better

• React
Reactions: MJB
2 clubs in Pompey & Derby who get 19k-25k at home whilst we can’t even sell out Wycombe 20 miles up the road. That is tinpot.

We’ve got no right as a fanbase asking us to compete with them.
Tinpot.
What a dick.
Our fan base is anything but β€˜tinpot’. I’ve already said it’s half term, people are away/abroad, some with families. Every other game at Wycombe we sell this one out and wonder why they don’t give us more tickets.
In amongst every other gripe you’ve got with this club, criticising the fan base shouldn’t be one of them.

That was an awkward game today; thought we defended very well but there was a lot of reluctance to take the initiative. Probably on instruction since we were missing the skipper.

Results elsewhere were generally favorable so I’d call it a point gained.

If the new signings click we’re easily in the playoffs. There is obvious rustiness about Matete and Goodwin but in time they will really strengthen the squad.

Joint MOM , Negru and Cumming, very calm and assured.

A moan; those lcd advertising boards stop the supporters from following the play particularly on the white setting. More evidence that the paying spectator is a poor relation , even in L1.

Believe Wycombe will finish in top half so content enough with today’s result.

Well that was like Tuesday night P**s poor. Football under Buckingham has gone backwards just very boring to watch at the minute that no clue, no pressure, no product ,no tactics was lucky in the first half against Wigan and lucky in first half today if we keep playing like this someone is going to give us a hammering and it could be Tuesday night against the cobblers at the minute we only got 20 minutes in us des cannot motavte these players. LONG should not be no where near this team he is awful getting done all the time Tuesday and today at the minute I don't want us to finish in the top 6 as it will be embarrassing again on sky as this team isn't a top 6 team in a P**s poor league so at the minute it doesn't bode well for us .I want championship football but it isn't going to happen for a few more years yet sadly.

Silly question incoming from me.

I’ve thought long is the next problem to be fixed ever since we sorted out the left back issue. He’s a lower half league one right back.

Could Bennett play right back?

We haven`t lost in 5. :)

Is your glass half full or half empty?

Back
Top Bottom