Away Match Day Thread 17/02/2024 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think basically there were 2 teams who couldnโ€™t take golden chances when offered them

I can't pretend I'm happy with that. I keep paying up to watch this Des team and am always left with the same question: what the hell is the plan?

Long diagonals, followed by hoofball, then we tried to get it down and play a bit in the second half.

I look at this team and I see a lot of good, league one standard players, being mismanaged.

Fans don't seem to know where they stand, a few boos followed up with Buckinghams Yellow Army!

Disappointing, the result isn't a disaster but the first half performance was nowhere near good enough for a team that has the players we do.

Someone ask Des what the plan is, because I have no idea.
I thought today the midfield were overrun for 70 minutes, so playing out from the back was impossible because there was no out ball other than play long.
Goodrham and Rodrigues first touch was not great consequently we could not keep the ball.
Bodin coming on, helped turn the tide, also Wycombe tired, they work very hard without the ball.
We defended well apart from poor Sam who was literally scared shitless of Sadlier. Cumming made 3 or 4 great saves but Lubala missed that sitter. We got a point but we continue to look unconvincing and without a style or a plan. The glaring problem down our right side must eventually come back to haunt us.
It is also a dull unentertaining watch.

Reckon itโ€™s 4 teams fighting for 2 playoff spots.

Out of those four.. Peterborough (1 point) Stevenage (4 points) Blackpool (5 points) and us (7 pts) we are top of the mini form table.

Still plenty to be hopeful about.

Next Saturday will be pivotal in the play off race.

Oxford v Leyton Orient
Cambridge v Posh
Barnsley v Derby
Blackpool v Bolton
Stevenage v Wycombe

A Win on Tuesday is a must though.

what's troubling is that there appear to be some Oxford United fans who don't want to mention this because it doesn't suit their agenda against the manager

Had one have a go at me because he said Des doesnโ€™t deserve time. Literally had 6 of the first team out and has only just got them all back. Some just want him to fail but we basically restricted Wycombe to launching balls into the box. Which was always going to be their MO anyway. Theyโ€™ve beaten some good sides at home lately. A point is okay.

Find it odd RR getting grief when he was one of the very few who tried to get on the ball and make things happen. Didn't help the referee wanted no part of any decision with even a whiff of controversy and that his teammates couldn't trap a bag of cement at points today.

Think people really underestimate how much he does off the ball in work rate, closing down and putting himself into challenges, both aerially and on the deck. Yes he was a way off perfect, but he was one of the few who looked to play progressive passes which weren't of the hit and hope/get the second ball variety.

Next Saturday will be pivotal in the play off race.

Oxford v Leyton Orient
Cambridge v Posh
Barnsley v Derby
Blackpool v Bolton
Stevenage v Wycombe

A Win on Tuesday is a must though.

Huge weekendโ€ฆ Manage to bag 2 wins this week and Iโ€™ll be bouncing off the ceiling.

Had one have a go at me because he said Des doesnโ€™t deserve time. Literally had 6 of the first team out and has only just got them all back. Some just want him to fail but we basically restricted Wycombe to launching balls into the box. Which was always going to be their MO anyway. Theyโ€™ve beaten some good sides at home lately. A point is okay.

It wasnโ€™t an enjoyable game by any stretch, but absolutely a decent point at a horrible away fixtureโ€ฆ I just hate the place.

It feels like the majority on here this evening seem to be okay/accept todays result, especially on the back of a few other results.

If we can now bag a few home wins on the bounce it will generate so much more confidence.

Last edited:
Cummings
Long Moore Brown Leigh
Mcguane matete
Brannagan
Harris Goodwin Murphy

Next game

Definitely a decent point. It felt as if we were under continual aerial bombardment, especially in the first hour. Free kicks in their own half, the sort we'd probably play back to a defender, were launched into the box. Throw-ins were launched into the box. Their only player of any quality was Sadlier, otherwise it was all just hoof it and hope. We did well to survive, along with a little bit of luck. We've always struggled in these sorts of games, under all our more recent managers, and we normally lose them. So I've come back from Wycombe pretty content really. Need to win on Tuesday though.

(It surprised me though that once we started getting at them in the last half hour, they seemed to decide a draw was ok. Weird - you'd have though they'd have fancied their chances of a win really.)

Thank goodness Cumming turned up.

First 65 minutes were abject and we looked like a side devoid of idea.

Last 20/25 we looked more intent. If only we started with a bit of purpose!

Can anyone tell me what the game plan is yet? Iโ€™m still yet to see a clear style of play under Buckingham.

There clearly isnโ€™t one mate. I still donโ€™t believe Des is the right man for the job. I hope he proves me wrong, but at the moment heโ€™s not shown me heโ€™s learning, or got it in him to manage at this level.

First 65 minutes were abject and we looked like a side devoid of idea.

Last 20/25 we looked more intent. If only we started with a bit of purpose!

Can anyone tell me what the game plan is yet? Iโ€™m still yet to see a clear style of play under Buckingham.
It would seriously be a vg question for the fans forum:

Des what is your preferred formation and style of play, because many of us are completely baffled and havenโ€™t worked it out yet.

Thatโ€™s not meant to be disrespectful in any way, but an interesting and serious question

... I still donโ€™t believe Des is the right man for the job. I hope he proves me wrong, but at the moment heโ€™s not shown me heโ€™s learning, or got it in him to manage at this level.
Thomas Frank " took Brentford to an 11th-place finish in the Sky Bet Championship [in his first] season having been in charge for three quarters of the campaign. He overcame a difficult start to life as Head Coach and a run of one win in ten games that coincided with a spate of injuries and the death of Technical Director Robert Rowan. That was followed by a sequence of two defeats in 13 that took The Bees in to the top half of table and they eventually finished ten points outside the Play-Off places."

That was entirely as you might expect for a match between the team that is sitting as the 15th best in the division (them) and the team that (since a new manager was appointed three months ago) have been 16th best (us).

A result befitting two poor sides with a lack of quality in their ranks, just slugging it out.

But we're not a poor side with a lack of quality in our ranks, are we? We're a really well funded squad filled with quality. A squad that were p*ssing all over this League for as long as we now haven't been...

Many seem to have lost sight of that...

I really don't have anything against Des Buckingham. But with 5 wins from 17 League games, he's not doing very well, is he?

Thomas Frank " took Brentford to an 11th-place finish in the Sky Bet Championship [in his first] season having been in charge for three quarters of the campaign. He overcame a difficult start to life as Head Coach and a run of one win in ten games that coincided with a spate of injuries and the death of Technical Director Robert Rowan. That was followed by a sequence of two defeats in 13 that took The Bees in to the top half of table and they eventually finished ten points outside the Play-Off places."
You forget to actually say that Thomas Frank was the assistant head coach at Brentford for almost 2 years before taking the helm so had plenty of knowledge of the league and the club!

He also had a quality right hand man for 4/5 years who has now gone on to be the manager of Anderlecht.

However yes Thomas Frank has with time proven to be a quality appointment

What this has to do with todayโ€™s game Iโ€™m not sure ๐Ÿค”

I really don't have anything against Des Buckingham. But with 5 wins from 17 League games, he's not doing very well, is he?
I dont even have the balls to own up to my dislike.

Instead I use weasel words to try and make the man look worse than he is

Back
Top Bottom